I always have enjoyed meals that you serve over rice. My favorites include Sweet and Sour Chicken and Orange Walnut Chicken. This year I am expanding into Thai stir fry recipes and adding more heat. I have been researching a lot of different recipes that I will be trying over the upcoming months. This recipe is an easy approach as it brings together the three basic elements: meat, vegetables, and sauce. You could make this with tofu or skip the meat for a vegetarian meal. If you are really in a pinch for time, you could buy a stir-fry sauce from the store.

Hopefully with the below approach, you should be able to quickly put together a meal on those busy nights. I like to freeze my chicken pre-sliced allowing me to take it out of the freezer a day or two before I need it. If I have time, I will pre-slice my vegetables for a few meals or buy them pre-sliced if I am really short on time. I make my rice in a rice cooker while I am cooking the stir-fry. I can have dinner on the table in 30-minutes or less! I hope you enjoy this recipe and let me know your approach!

Select Your Meat:

1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon lemon or lime juice
1 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoon sherry
Salt

Making the Sauce
Make the sauce first. Heat the Stir Fry oil in a small saucepan. Add the ginger and garlic and stir-fry 15-30 second over medium heat to bring out the flavor. Be careful because garlic burns easily. Add and blend in the remaining ingredients except for the sherry and the cornstarch. Bring mixture just to a boil. Dissolve the cornstarch into the wine and then whisk into the sauce. Heat until thickens.

Cook Your Meat
Pour a small amount of olive oil or stir fry oil in a frying pan. Place your chicken in the frying pan and season with Lawry salt and Pepper. Periodically stir until chicken is cooked.

Cook Your Vegetables
Pour a small amount of olive oil or stir fry oil in a braising pan or wok. Add vegetables and cook until desired tenderness.

Bring together the sauce, meat, and vegetables
Add your cooked chicken to your vegetable mixture and add your sauce. Cook for another minute or so until ingredients and flavors are blended. I like to serve over Jasmine rice with Cilantro and a slice of Lime. Enjoy!

12 thoughts on “A Basic Stir Fry Recipe

Thank you! I hope you enjoy making the recipe with your own touches. 🙂

1. kanzensakura says:

Looks good. I’ve been stir frying for years but always like to look at new approaches and combinations. I like the pre-slicing of the chicken – excellent idea. I’ve been thinking of posting some Chinese recipes I’ve adapted rather than just sticking with Southern or Japanese this gives me inspiration.

I love a good stir fry. I have a new recipe to post that I was inspired to make during our vacation. Looking forward to reading your recipes!

1. kanzensakura says:

Oh goody, a new one from you too. I really enjoy looking forward to looking out for new things.

Thanks! I just posted it – I like this recipe because it has raisins, pineapples, and cashews. It is an interesting blend of ingredients and flavors. 🙂

2. You have all of us food lovers hooked, Bernice– cooks and eaters alike. Thanx again for the recipe.

Thank you! I love this basic stir fry since there are so many variations you can try – enjoy!!

3. ramblingsofaperforatedmind says:

Your blog is very visually appealing!

Thank you for your kind comment and for stopping by!

4. dancy moxley says:

Oh my, Looks so good, going to give this a try,Thanks!!