We had a great time this summer at Thousands Island and our Uncle Sam’s boat tour to Boldt’s Castle. Over the past ten years a tremendous amount of money (collected from fees to tour the castle) to renovate it.
img_5624

Millionaire hotel magnate George C. Boldt built this castle as a tribute to his beloved wife Louise who died weeks before the work was completed. At the news of his wife’s death, George stopped all work on the castle. Over the years, the elements and vandals took a toll on this beautiful castle. Because Louise was never able to spend a night in this castle, as part of George’s will he indicates no one will ever spend a night in the castle. As such it will never be a hotel or resort. Both the inside of the Castle and the grounds are beautiful! It is a wonderful way to spend a day. Today I am sharing a few pictures of the grounds.

img_3048

img_7263

img_2831

img_3020

img_3032

img_3060

16 thoughts on “Boldt’s Castle – Thousand Islands

1. This is a magnificent spot and the castle out of this world. What a waste, though. Thank you for sharing, Bernice.

Fabulous photos.

It is a beautiful place! It is sad that no one ever lived in the castle but it has been really helping the thousands Islands economy. Plus it kept workmen with jobs for three years. So some good comes out of it – but it still is sad that there were not parties in those grand rooms! When I walk through the rooms you almost mourn the lost of what could have been…

2. Clanmother says:

A profound tribute to a beloved wife. Your photos are marvelous – what a spectacular day for an adventure.

It is such a relaxing, beautiful place. I feel more relaxed just looking at our pictures!

3. hello bernice its dennis the vizsla dog hay wow my dada went to this playse wen he wuz vizziting his mama and dada in the mithikal land of noo york this summer!!! maybe yoo saw him!!! ok bye

It is a nice place!

4. What a really cool place! Thanx for sharing the photos and info, Bernice.

Your welcome! It is a wonderful place to visit. I need to keep posting my pictures. It is a relaxing vacation!

5. girlandworld says:

Wow this blotd castle is beautiful and u look awesome

Thanks! It is a wonderful place to visit. You could spend literally hours at Boldt Castle between the castle and the grounds.

6. girlandworld says:

The water is giving so much serene vibes

Yes, it is very peaceful at Thousand Islands. A wonderful place to relax and forget about everything.

7. chicmom2016 says:

Breathtaking! Sad love story

It is a beautiful area and a sad story. Louise was his true love!

1. chicmom2016 says:

Definitely! Kinda reminds me of my grandparents. My grandpa didn’t have much but he would do anything in his power to make my grandma happy. He passed away in fear that my grandma was not going to be taken care of as he had. My grandma lasted a few more months, they couldn’t be apart for long. A love I can only pray for. ❤

Thank you for sharing that sweet story. A love we do not often witness.