One of the things I love about cooking is you can take a recipe, modify it, and it has a whole new look and taste. Potato Soup is a great dish for modifications. This year I used bacon, fresh parsley, fresh chives, and white cheddar cheese for a wonderful blend of flavors!
Potato Soup side view

It can be made thicker like a stew or more soup like depending upon how much milk and half and half added. Start with a conservative amount as you can always add more milk. The bacon can be mixed with the soup or added on the top as an garnish. Or do both!

Potato Soup served in a bowl closeup

This is one time I tend to add more salt as potato soup needs salt!
Potato Soup served in a bowl closeup 2

This soup is good for a few days but the Quality will be reduced since it is milk based if kept too long. A large batch was made for a St. Patrick’s Day luncheon with my department at work. It warmed up nicely in the microwave and stayed warm in the slow cooker.
Potato Soup in Slow Cooker

I find reheating it a few times only adds to the flavor. Adding the bacon to the soup adds that needed salt and fat. Fresh herbs are always a great idea! Layering of all the ingredients made this the best Potato Soup ever!

Sauté Ingredients:

2 cups or 1 pint Light Half and Half
Bacon, cooked and crumbled

Topping:
Parsley
Chives

Preparation:
Melt butter in a large soup pot and add onions and celery – cook until tender. Add step 2 ingredients and bring to a soft boil, then lower heat and simmer for 1 – 2 hours, stirring periodically. When potatoes are tender add step 3 ingredients based upon how you like your potato soup! Cook on low for about a half hour. Serve with fresh parsley and chives!

12 thoughts on “My Version of Potato Soup for St. Patrick’s Day!

1. This sounds so good, I can smell it for waayy over here, Bernice. Saving this for another day. Thank you for sharing. Love the bacon idea. So much additional flavor.

I rarely eat bacon, but this is a time when the added flavor is important. Otherwise potato soup can be rather bland. Or add some shrimp or ham. Something with salt. 🙂

2. cindy knoke says:

Oh I will make this! Thanks for posting~

Your welcome and I hope you enjoy it! It is a yummy soup!!

3. Oh, this looks too delicious for words. I love the bacon addition, and I know that hubby will approve. 🙂

It is yummy and you can add your own variations. But it needs salt either from the bacon or try shrimp or ham. 🙂

4. 2ndhalfolife says:

I like your rainbow spoon! 🙂

Thanks! I love that set of flatware!

5. Heather says:

looks so good…and simple to make, even for me! 🙂

That recipe was awesome! I only eat it once a year – so I splurged on some of the unhealthier ingredients. 🙂

1. Heather says:

I understand…:)

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Bakemama

baking, cooking, trying to hold it all together

Pams Bake and Baby Blog

Family life and baking

The Great Kiwi Baking Blog

a Yank chef; classic Kiwi bakes.

offthewheatenpathtt.wordpress.com/

A Path of Eating...Healthy & Gluten Free - Food Blog & more.

La Retro Recipe

vintage recipes served fresh

Alexyss Rubjerg

Beauty & Fashion Lover, Blogging my Life

Bloomilycious

Helping people achieve nutrition and lifestyle goals through wholesome foods and healthy habits

Jen's Food Blog

My recipes & eating out experiences in Yorkshire (and beyond)

Maroscooking

Recreating recipes for family and friends in my Houston kitchen in my quest to make food look as good as it tastes.