I really baby my slow-cooked meals and this Guinness Beef Stew is not an exception! As a bonus, this is the best version of Guinness Beef Stew that I ever made! It has a wonderful full flavor with a bit of sweetness. Most stews need to sit a day or two for the flavors to really blend. But not this stew! It is fantastic from the stove top to the dinner table! So there is still time for you to make this for St. Patrick’s Day.

Guinness Irish Beef Stew plated top view

I was inspired to change my Guinness Beef Stew from an Irish cook show I watched on Recipe TV. Guinness Storehouse Executive Chef Justin O’Connor presented several recipes made with Guinness and explained when he uses different types of Guinness. Did you know that Guinness was established in 1759! That is just amazing the long history of Guinness. Someone once said to me that Guinness is the fruit of the gods. My preference is a dry, red wine – however I do love Guinness!

Guinness Irish Beef Stew plated side view

I am really inspired by Executive Chef Justin – for more on him click here. Now we just need a cookbook from him!

Guinness Irish Beef Stew in a bowl

The key is a thick beef stock otherwise you will need to add flour to thicken the sauce. Plus using Guinness Foreign Extra Stout. Also consider serving it with Champ Potatoes.

Guinness Irish Beef Stew in a bowl close up

Below are guidelines from Executive Chef Justin on what type of Guinness to use when cooking and baking.

Guinness Draught
guinness draught 4

This is great for soda breads and desserts. It has a coffee and caramel flavors.

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout
GuinnessForeignExtraStout
This Guinness has extra alcohol that turns into more sugar when cooking. It has a wonderful balance of sweet and the roasted flavor of the hops.

Guinness Extra Stout
guinness extra stout

This is a nice light, refreshing Guinness that is wonderful with a seafood recipe.
Guinness Irish Beef Stew in a bowl 2

The Guinness Beef Stew after the Guinness is added.
Guinness Irish Beef Stew on stovetop with Guinness added

2 Onions, quartered
2 Carrots, sliced lengthwise
2 Celery Stalks, sliced lengthwise
Lawry Salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Sauce Ingredients:
1 cup Beef Stock (the best you can buy – or make it!
1/4 cup Strong Brewed Coffee
1 ounce 70% Cocoa Chocolate
1 Pint of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout
1 bouquet garnis (about 3 sprigs rosemary, 3 sprigs parsley, and 2 bay leaves – I place mine in a large tea bag filter)
1 tbsp Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce

Roasting Ingredients:
3 cups Carrots, chopped
2 cups Parsnips, chopped
1 Medium Sweet Potato, chopped
1 cup Celery, chopped (Optional)
Celery root, chopped (Optional)
Pearl Onions (Optional)

Garnish Ingredients:
Flat-leaf Parsley Leaves
Rosemary sprigs

Beef Roast Preparation:
In a large braising pan, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Season beef with Lawry salt and freshly ground pepper and add to braising pan. Cook, turning occasionally, until beef is well browned on 2 sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer beef to a plate.

Add carrots and onions to the braising pan and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned.

Add sauce ingredients and bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer. Add beef. Cook for 1 ½ hours, mixing periodically.

Final Cooking Step:
Add the Roasting Ingredients and cook for another 30-minutes or until veggies are tender. Discard bouquet garnis, large carrots and celery stalks. Using a ladle, skim off and discard accumulated fat on surface. Serve with mashed potatoes and crusty bread.

27 thoughts on “Happy St. Patrick’s Day with Pub Style Guinness Beef Stew with Mashed Potatoes

1. How can you miss with coffee, chocolate and Guinness?
    My ex M-i-l used to put coffee in her gravy. I tried it and like it. Now I see coffee here again+ the other two sidekicks. Saving this. We don’t often eat red meat anymore but once in a while, it’s a treat and this recipe will punch it up some more. Thanks, Bernice. Love all your recipes. ❤ ❤ ❤

Thank you so much for your kind words! This turned out really great. I am not really a red meat person – but this was delicious. Somehow throwing in a little chocolate and coffee made it more fun to make! I used Guinness Draught since we did not have the Guinness Foreign Extra Stout.

2. lulu says:

Sounds great to me!

Thank you! I loved how it was excellent from stovetop to the table. Most stews and soup require that extra day for the flavors to come together.

3. chefceaser says:

Reblogged this on Chef Ceaser and commented:
    Use Kosher Beef

Thank you for reblogging. I hope you and your readers enjoy the stew!

4. Although Guinness on draft is my favorite beer, I prefer a good Chianti now and then. Again, thanx for the recipe.

I am not really a fan of beer except for Guinness. Lately we have been trying Gnarly Head Wineries in particular 1924 Double Black and Authentic Black. Both are excellent!

5. Sheryl says:

mmm. . . This looks like an absolutely wonderful beef stew recipe that would be fantastic any time during the year.

It really is one of those go to meals. I think it will become part of our winter rotation! Easy to make and delicious. Next time I am going to add more veggies.

6. Heather says:

love stew! I sure wish I had a 1/4 of the interest in cooking that you do!!! Just not my thing… 😦

🙂 I tend to cook in very large batches so I am not cooking as much as it might seem.

1. Heather says:

you cook and freeze then? That’s a good idea but we don’t eat from a freezer much…don’t ask me why we just never have???

Sometimes I freeze meals, but I will make a stew or soup and we will have it several nights in a row. We do not mind eating the same meal. We have our favorites that we really enjoy for a few days. It reduces the stress of coming home from work and trying to figure out what to have for dinner. I get home around 6PM so easy is good for me. 🙂

3. Heather says:

yes, great idea…I don’t mind eating the same thing a few nights in a row either. I work from home so I don’t have the stress of coming home from work and making dinner…

Once I got a better routine for our food prep it became easier to make dinner after work. Otherwise it is eat out every night! Expensive and too many calories!

5. Heather says:

The cost and calories do make eating out restrictive. I cook but I don’t really enjoy it nor am I good at it.

I see a lot of people getting involved with those programs that send you ingredients specifically for a meal. Then you just assemble and cook. Though not sure how economical that is!

7. Heather says:

never heard of this kind of thing, I live in a small city so not sure how this kind of thing would go over?

I have seen store fronts supporting this type of business. But I never see them last long. I also see a mail order business where they ship you the ingredients in one of those coolers with dry ice.

7. Heather says:

to be honest I might like that idea now and then! 😉

1. Heather says:

awesome, I will check out the site…thank you!

Your welcome!

1. Heather says:

thanks I will take a look!

Your welcome. There are so many of these types of businesses to help you prepare dinner! I recently saw Plates on Shark Tank – it was recorded a few years before they all started to take off.