I love mashed potatoes and over the years have explored many different recipes. This year our Thanksgiving menu was focused around healthier versions of our classic recipes. Instead of adding sour cream, cream cheese, and a lot of butter I used parsnips. They added a wonderful sweetness eliminating the need for those high calorie, fat ingredients! This is now my favorite mashed potatoes. They were awesome! Instead of parsnips you could substitute turnips or cauliflower! Have you tried any of these healthier twists on mashed potatoes?

Mashed Potatoes and Parsnips Topped with Green Onions Serving Dish

This recipe was inspired by Cooking Light

Mashed Potatoes and Parsnips Topped with Green Onions Plated 4

Mashed Potatoes Ingredients:
2 pounds Russet Potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 pound Parsnips, peeled and cubed
1 cup warm Half-and-Half
2 tbsp. Butter
1 1/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. White Pepper

Garnish Ingredients:
Chopped Green Onions

Preparation:
Prepare the mashed potatoes and parsnips using your favorite method to cook and mash them. I boiled the potatoes and parsnips in separate kettles – then mashed them separately using a mixer. Then I added half-and-half, butter, salt, and white pepper to each bowl and mixed together. Lastly, I added the mashed parsnips to the mashed potatoes. When serving, top with chopped green onions.

15 thoughts on “Mashed Potatoes with Parsnips and Green Onions

1. Parsnips are such a wonderful addition to mashed potatoes. Looks delicious! 🙂

Who would have thought? Parsnips are now becoming one of my favorite root vegetables!

2. Wow, this sounds really tasty!

It really is wonderful! The parsnips add so much flavor that we did not miss the other heavier calorie ingredients!

3. Many thanx for this recipe, Bernice.

Your welcome. It is just awesome!!!

4. chefceaser says:

Reblogged this on Chef Ceaser.

Thank you for reblogging to your readers!

Thanks! It was delicious and I don’t think I could ever make mashed potatoes without the parsnips!

5. Sheryl says:

It sounds delicious. I think that I’ve seen some really old recipes that call for parsnips and potatoes. I like your updated version.

I love that you saw some old recipes using parsnips! It really takes mashed potatoes to the next level without adding all those calories.

6. My cooking can get pretty plain so the suggestions that make it a bit more special are really appreciated.

Your welcome – this is a great recipe and with just a few ingredients you have a gourmet mashed potato dish! And very easy, which is always nice!