When I was younger I was interested in learning how to paint. So I invested in all the tools needed to paint and signed up for one of those high school Introduction to Painting course. I got to the class with all my materials anticipating to learn the basics of painting. To my surprise, everyone already knew how to paint and the class was pretty much everyone painting with no real lesson. Needless to say I never returned!

wpid-20151020_1903380.jpg

Now fast forward and these painting classes called Painting With a Twist have become popular in our area. They have open classes and private parties where everyone paints the same picture. It is a BYOB which means bring your own snacks and if you are over 21 feel free to bring a bottle of wine! For a small fee of $35 you are provided the canvas, paint, plus brushes and a smock to use for the evening. You just show up with your beverage – my choice was iced tea!

wpid-20151020_190333.jpg

There are plenty of seats and it would be a great place for a birthday or any type of party. There are a lot of fun pictures you can sign up for!

wpid-20151020_185528.jpg

An instructor walks you through the painting through several stages and everyone’s finished picture will be a bit different. The instructor, who has high energy, is in the middle of the room with two TVs showing her painting and finished picture. You can see below that this was our first step to paint the background.

exploding tardis

Below is my first step that had to dry for awhile.
wpid-20151020_193106.jpg

After the paint dried we traced the Tardis using an outline and chalk onto our canvas. That was a relief because I was wondering how we were going to paint the Tardis!
wpid-20151020_201211.jpg

Then we started to fill in the Tardis with blue paint and added highlights.
wpid-20151020_204644.jpg

At this point the painting needs to dry a bit. Fun contests with prizes are played during these drying time periods. Plus we post our painting on Facebook and whoever gets the most likes over the next 30-minutes get to pick a finished painting!
wpid-20151020_204914.jpg

Now for the final painting!I am fairly happy with it though if I had to do it over again I would have made a few changes plus attended a different painting class for practice before painting the Tardis! Once a month on Saturday they have an open session with instructors if you want to fix your painting. My windows did not dry well so the yellow is a bit dull, plus I still have a bit of white chalk that did not get covered, and I need to finish the bottom part of the canvas with dark blue paint. I might be able to make some minor changes on my own. But I am happy for my first painting! I had a great time that went by quickly and I am going back! Have you ever attended one of these classes or something similar?
Exploding Tardis at the Studio final

23 thoughts on “Painting With a Twist: Exploding Blue Box aka The Tardis!!

1. Love it! What a fun thing to do. Sounds like they make it so it’s not intimidating. How awesome you got to paint the TARDIS! Looks like fun.

It was fun and not intimidating at all. It was more about having a fun experience than a serious art class. I could not pass up an opportunity to paint the Tardis!!

2. Ingrid says:

Sounds like a fun time. I’ll need to look into something like this in Phoenix.

It was a lot of fun and I would recommend it. A nice evening out!

3. Wow! That’s quite an amazing way to paint…fun indeed… 🙂

It really is a great idea. So many people want to paint and this is a great solution!

4. Sophie33 says:

You are one creative woman! Well done you! 🙂

Thank you! They really walk you step by step through the process. It is a lot of fun and I love that I just show up and everything is ready for me to paint!

1. Sophie33 says:

ahhaaa! I can see! 🙂 Fun, fun, fun!

It was a lot of fun!!

5. The classes sound like a lot of fun. I love your exploding Tardis!

It really is a lot of fun! You just pay your fee and show up. Plus you can add your own creativity when painting.

6. Clanmother says:

What a fun time! There is a creative voice inside us that looks for a way to speak! Brilliant!

That is so true! And this is such a fun way to paint. We are going back next week to paint another picture!

Thank you! It was fun and of course how could I pass up painting the Tardis!! And I love that episode when the Tardis explodes.

1. willowdot21 says:

Dr Who is certainly a phenomenon!

And the best part for us is the fan base in the US is growing!!

7. Isn’t artwork fun– even for first projects? [Getting back to your introduction, I hated it when I took a community college first semester Spanish class, only to find out that most of the class already spoke the language (but not me.) Seems they wanted the easy credits.] But now, you pick up that paintbrush again, you could get hooked. Just don’t give up posting those delicious recipes.

Thanks! I really did enjoy the class and we are going back next week. But I already have new recipes ready to post plus our vacation pictures. I am dreaming up new recipes for the holidays! Stay tuned. 🙂