It is getting close to Valentine’s Day and I wanted to share this great Red Velvet Cupcake recipe that you can dress up with icing and fun decorations. This is the first time I made red velvet cupcakes and I have to say they are excellent! There are so many fun ways to decorate them. If you do not care for icing then place a heart on the cupcake and then with a small sifter, sprinkle powdered sugar around the heart and then carefully remove the heart. It is so pretty and is a nice alternative to icing. You do need to do this close to serving because the next day the powdered sugar will disappear into the cupcake – at least it did for me! Also don’t forget to check out my other Valentine’s Day ideas: A Healthy Whole Grain Cinnamon Oatmeal and Fruit Cookie and Make Your Own Valentine’s Day Dessert! What are your favorite deserts to make for Valentine’s Day?

Red Velvet Cupcakes close up with powdered sugar 2

I went with a simple icing of light cream cheese, milk, and a little powdered sugar. It makes a nice pure white icing. Each cupcake was placed in a pretty festive liner after baking and then a heart pick was placed in each cupcake.
Red Velvet Cupcakes with white icing

For as much as I liked the white icing it was too bland for Valentine’s Day so I added sprinkles and cinnamon candy. I loved the candy since it added a nice spice to the cupcake.
Red Velvet Cupcakes lots of them decorated

I love this picture because it looks like you have an endless row of beautiful cupcakes!!
Red Velvet Cupcakes in a row with a closeup cupcake

And another picture of using powdered sugar to decorate – just be sure to save your most perfect cupcakes for this minimalist approach as icing can hide a few flaws!
Red Velvet Cupcakes close up with powdered sugar

The last few pictures present the cupcakes on a pretty stand that would make a nice centerpiece on the table!
Red Velvet Cupcakes close up on a stand at a distance

Red Velvet Cupcakes close up on a stand 2

1 ½ tsp white distilled vinegar

Topping Ingredients
Your favorite icing
Powdered Sugar
Cinnamon Candy

Directions
Let eggs and butter stand for 30 minutes at room temperature. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake pans with 28 paper liners.

In a medium bowl combine the flour ingredients and set aside. In large mixing bowl beat butter for about 30 seconds until creamed. Slowly add sugar and beat until combined. Add and mix in the vanilla.

Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until incorporated. Blend in food coloring on low. Then alternate between the flour mixture and buttermilk and beat until combined. Stir together baking soda and vinegar – it will fizzle and bubble. Add to batter; beat to combine.

Spoon batter into prepared cupcake pans, filling each about two-thirds full. Bake 15 to 17 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes and then remove. Cool completely and then have fun decorating them and then enjoy eating them!

31 thoughts on “St. Valentine’s Day Red Velvet Cupcakes! #recipe #baking #valentinesday

1. yummy! Follow us for wedding tips and trends: eventsyourwaytoronto.wordpress.com

2. Those all look wonderful!

Thank you! They were fun to make and now we are enjoying them on these cold, bitter nights!

1. You’re very welcome. Keep up the awesome blogging, and if you get bored maybe check out my blog. I write short stories.

Thank you! I do enjoy a short story!!

3. You’re welcome, and thank you!

3. Wonderful idea…I want to try something like that this year.

I hope they come out good for you! Happy Valentine’s Day – a bit early!

Thank you! Valentine’s Day is a fun holiday since I love the color red! So festive!

4. You’ve outdone yourself. These look as if you’ve spent a week baking and decorating. Look too yummy to eat.
    ❤ ❤ ❤

Thank you! And I did it all in an afternoon! 🙂 They are delicious! Especially the test cupcake that was still warm from the oven.

1. You are mighty creative. ❤ ❤ ❤

Thank you! 🙂

Thank you for the reblog! I hope you and your readers enjoy these yummy cupcakes!

5. Looks so delicious and perfect for Valentine’s day!

Yes, the red velvet cupcake is perfect for Valentine’s Day! They are really good. I never had red velvet cupcakes and was pleased on how good they are!

6. msaudreypair says:

If you could share your favourite icing’s recipe that would be awesome!! Thanks! X

I rarely make an icing. But for this recipe I used 8 ounces of light cream cheese at room temperature. I blended it with a hand mixer and added about 2 – 3 tbsp of milk. Then I added about 3 heaping tablespoons of confectioners sugar. Then do a taste test and see if you like the icing. 🙂 You can also add some vanilla. Let me know if you have any questions and how it came out!

Thank you for reblogging the cupcake recipe! I hope you and your readers enjoy it!

7. chefceaser says:

Reblogged this on Chef Ceaser.

Thank you for reblogging this Valentine’s Day recipe. I hope you and your readers enjoy the recipe!!

Thank you! And really delicious!!! I made it through Christmas okay but I may not make it through Valentine’s with the goodies in the house!

1. willowdot21 says:

Well i certainly would not. 🙂