I hope everyone had a wonderful New Years Eve and New Years Day! What did everyone end up doing? Did you go out to ring in the New Year or do you hang out at home? We stay home and I try out new dishes with the main course centered around Scallops. Typically we stay up to midnight by having a theme. One year we watched Seinfeld for hours on end. We just love that show as you can relate to so many of the episodes. Typically I do not like comedians but Jerry is a clean comic so I do enjoy his comedy. This year we are re-watching every episode of Downton Abbey and it was perfect for our New Years Eve theme. It was a great way to pass the evening and we get so lost in the series. I even forget about my technology, which is rare for me. All of a sudden it was 11:30 and we turned on our local station to watch the ball drop. In the US the next season starts this Sunday and I was hoping to get through all the episodes, but I am not sure that will happen! We are just finishing season 2 with the Christmas special. It is interesting how the UK has Christmas specials for their shows. Plus we are anxious to see the new season – it is so hard that the UK views it months earlier. A few spoilers did come through social media. I am not sure why it cannot air the same time like Doctor Who does! And Doctor Who also has a Christmas special that is watched by many Americans who do not typically watch the series. Over the holiday season we were treated by BBC America to Doctor Who marathons, which I greatly enjoyed. I can watch it for free through Amazon Prime but there is something about a TV marathon where there is a community of whovians watching the series that you can’t resist but turn it on!

New Years Day starts with the Rose Bowl Parade out of Pasadena California and then the pond hockey classic game. The floats are amazing covered in flowers and other organic material. We cannot imagine ever having the patience to decorate them. The Property Brothers are the host and they are my favorite! They are so genuine and down to earth – plus they have a great sense of humor! Today I am planning on trying out a new recipe for a vegetable and chicken pizza.

Our New Years Eve dinner started with a Citrus Avocado Salad with Macadamia Nut Oil. Then the dinner progressed with Prosciutto-Wrapped Scallops with a Balsamic Glaze Dressing with Dates, Baked Asparagus with Balsamic Soy Sauce, and Basmati Vegetable Rice with Pumpkin Seeds. This year Realistic Cooking Ideas is adding more healthy ingredients as discussed in my sneak preview posted on New Years Eve Day. New ingredients include pumpkin seeds, avocado, blood oranges, Macadamia Nut Oil, Agave Nectar among other new flavor profiles! We really enjoyed having scallops wrapped with prosciutto – the prosciutto is thin not requiring the use of toothpicks to keep it in place. Once the scallops were wrapped I placed them in the refrigerator until needed for cooking. The prosciutto added a really nice flavor to this dish and had a crispy, crunchy texture complimenting the soft, tender scallops. As you can see from the picture, you can add a lot of dates or very little. I hope you enjoy this recipe and let me know what you had for your New Year’s Eve Dinner!! Happy 2015 everyone!!

Prosciutto Wrapped Scallops with a Balsamic Glaze Dressing with Dates
Scallops Ingredients
12 Scallops
12 Prosciutto, slices
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper, freshly grounded
Toothpicks, brown – not color toothpicks – optional

Sauce Ingredients
1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegar, good quality
1/2 cup Water
2 tbsp Dark Brown Sugar
Dates or raisins or prunes

Preparation
Sauce
Add all ingredients together in a saucepan and cook until desired thickness. Be careful to not overcook otherwise the sauce turns into a syrup. About 20-minutes on low is a good starting point.

Scallops
Wrap each scallop with a slice of prosciutto around the wide portion of the scallop and seal with a toothpick if desired. Do not use colored toothpicks because the color can bleed during the cooking process. Seasoned the scallops with freshly ground salt and pepper. This step can be done ahead of time with keeping the scallops in the refrigerator.

Add olive oil to a heavy pan and heat. Add scallops, turn periodically, and cook until desired temperature. Plate immediately and add Balsamic Glaze Dressing with Dates.

Prosciutto Wrapped Scallops with a Balsamic Glaze Dressing with Dates in the pan

12 thoughts on “Prosciutto-Wrapped Scallops with a Balsamic Glaze Dressing with Dates

1. Susan says:

Sounds amazing! Definitely on my list of things to try!

Thank you Susan! It was delicious and a great way to have your scallops!

2. We had a quiet, cozy evening at home which was perfect for all of us. Soup for dinner, board games and a movie too. I could barely make it to midnight but managed it!
    Your evening sounds wonderful and I can hardly wait for Downton Abbey to begin! Your dinner looks delicious and elegant.

Happy New Year!
    Allison

Sounds like you had a wonderful New Years Eve Allison! Sounds like fun. The previews for Downton look really good! Can’t wait either!

1. Did you watch last night’s episode? What did you think?!

We are holding until we finish rewatching season 4. We have it on the DVR so hopefully this weekend we can watch it. We need to be careful with all the spoilers!!

Well we finally finished season 4 and watched the first episode of season 5 – it went so fast! I thought it was great. Though Thomas always seems to come out as a hero even though he is always scheming! I think they are too quick to forgive him especially since he stoled from them, brought in a thief and so much more.

I am finding I do not care for Tom’s new lady friend. I liked that they brought a strong woman into the show but I do not like her reverse snobbery or how rude she was at the party. Whether you agree or not with his Lordship it is his home and anniversary party.

Lady Edith story line is interesting. I am not sure how people cannot be suspicious in her interest in the little girl. Lady Mary should marry her new love interest. I will be sad to see Jimmy leave – he is easy on the eyes. 🙂

What did you think?

4. It’s so funny how you mentioned about Thomas always coming out the hero. That’s very well stated! He’s sort of the character “I love to hate.”

The party scene was so interesting and I thought her character (she was a teacher, if I’m remembering correctly) was so out of place and so forward for the time, it actually made me very uncomfortable.

Regardless, I thought this first episode just flew by and when it ended, I thought to myself, “It’s over already?”

I can hardly wait for episode number two!

I thought we had another 30-minutes and it was over – I said to Greg what happened? Did we miss part of it? ha ha. It went far too quickly. I do love and hate Thomas. The actor plays the part excellent. Yes, Tom’s friend is a teacher. I can’t wait to see what happens this season – we wait so darn long for it!!

3. My favorite seafood… and another recipe to try. Thanx, Bernice.

Thanks! I really liked the crisp prosciutto with the scallops – a great combination. I hope you enjoy it!