It is hard to believe that Thanksgiving is already over and now we are preparing for Christmas! Before Thanksgiving we had a snow storm that dumped 6 1/2 feet of snow on us over a three-day time period. Now most of that snow is gone. I am fairly busy at work since I will be taking time off for Christmas, which means a lot of work has to get done! Plus a lot of Christmas shopping and writing out Christmas cards needs to happen over the next couple of weeks. Over the years I have reduced the number of Christmas cards we send. A couple of years ago I decided to no longer send Christmas cards to people who do not send them. It makes writing out the ones I do send more enjoyable. What is your practice? Do you send out cards? Do you only send them to people who send cards to you?

Sun Dried Tomato Basil Meatloaf with a Chunky Red Sauce 2
My husband loves meatloaf and over the past couple of years I have been trying different recipes. I typically do not eat meatloaf but I do like to try recipes with a nice sauce and experiment with different ingredients. This was a good recipe – though if I make it again I will add more liquids because it was a dense meatloaf. Plus I would add some sauce to the top before baking to help retain more moisture. Do you add sauce to your meatloaf before baking? The layering affect was nice though a bit challenging to serve since the top layer wanted to break off! Another option is to mix in the filling ingredients.

Sun Dried Tomato Basil Meatloaf with a Chunky Red Sauce

1 tsp pepper

Filling
4 ounces mozzarella, sliced or shredded
Sun dried tomatoes, diced
1/3 cup fresh basil

Chunky Red Sauce
Roma tomatoes or your choice of chunky or crushed tomatoes
¼ to ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
Basil seasonings

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cook the vegetables in olive oil until tender. Combine ground turkey mixture and then add the cooked vegetables. To make your meatloaf you will place some of the turkey mixture in a meatloaf pan then layer mozzarella, sun dried tomatoes and fresh basil. Continue until all ingredients are used. Bake in a 400 degrees oven until it reaches 165 degrees. About 50 to 60 minutes depending upon your oven.

Make the sauce and serve hot over the meatloaf.

22 thoughts on “Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Meatloaf with a Chunky Red Sauce

1. Oh wow this looks good! I am making this soon for sure!!

Thank you – it was good. Just add more liquids if you like your meatloaf more loose than dense. I did like how it presented with the layers.

2. That looks absolutely superb…Another great inclusion on the menu this weekend.

It is and so easy to make! Just add a bit more liquids if you like your meatloaf loose or as is if you like it more dense.

3. lulu says:

I’m crazy for meatloaf and this one sounds divine. Thank you.

Your welcome. I hope you enjoy it! It is fun trying different recipes. 🙂

4. kanzensakura says:

Looks good. I make the same meatloaf my grandmother made wit a topping of chopped tomatoes, bell peppers, onion, some spice. I only send cards to those who send to me. I have general religious and special religious for my tiny family. I don’t care for secular cards.

Thanks! Over the years I keep reducing the cards I send it. After awhile it became a chore instead of a joy to send them out. So now I scale back and not try to do it all! 🙂

1. kanzensakura says:

I also do some electronic cards. there are some nifty interactive ones out there. I have found some folk forward them so others can enjoy and that is nice. I’ve had similar cards forwarded to me.

I do like the interactive, electronic cards where you click on something for an action to happen. Those are fun!

5. Looks really yummy. I don’t send out many Christmas cards these days, and receive very few in return. It seems to be a dying tradition.

That is true. A lot of traditions are changing in the tech age!

6. This sounds wonderful.
    Have you tried a crock pot version? I did a turkey one and have been gratified 1,000 times over. Just foil and as pray of oil inside the pot and nothing like foil — the meatloaf ws wondrfilly moist.

I have never tried one in a slow cooker… but now I am interested in trying! Thanks for the suggestion. Much appreciated. 🙂

7. Sometimes I will add sauce for the final 20 minutes in the oven. But I’m always interested in the various ingredients that others like yourself use. Thanx for the recipe.

That is a good idea adding the sauce near the end. That way it won’t burn. I have a few other meatloaf recipes on my blog. I am not a fan of meatloaf but my husband loves it so I tend to try different recipes to keep us both happy. 🙂

8. hello bernice its dennis the vizsla dog hay that luks better then the dried cod wot i stole off the knights wot say ni!!! ok bye

Dried cod – not good!!

9. Sheryl says:

I like how this recipe is an updated version of an old-time comfort food.

Thank you! It was really good and I enjoy trying different ingredients.

10. I think my favorite part of this recipe is using brown sugar. I never have tried that before.

I do like trying different spins on the traditional meat loaf. This one was pretty good!