I do believe that Prosciutto Wrapped Pork Medallions are better than steak!! As a disclaimer, I am not a steak fan; but so many people believe that steak is for special occasions. When I first had these at Carrabba’s Italian Grill, I told my husband these are better than any steak I have ever had! So naturally I had to figure out how to make this recipe at home. For the Port Wine I purchased Fairbanks which is from California. It is a rich, full-bodied wine and is delicious to drink. The Fig and Port Wine sauce can be made ahead and if it thickens too much you can always reconstitute it with a little Port Wine. It is best when cooked down to a thick syrup – almost to the point of a chutney – but not quite. It can be made ahead and reheated without losing any quality – in fact I think it is better the next day. The medallions can be formed with the prosciutto in advance – just add the rub before grilling. This is a nice recipe to make when entertaining since a lot of the prep work can be completed before your guests arrive – giving you more time to enjoy with them!

This recipe is best if you wood-grill the meat. See my prior posting on Wood-Grilled Dinner on a Gas Grill for an approach you might want to use. I hope you try this recipe and let me know do you prefer wood-grilled prosciutto wrapped pork medallions or steak?

Wood Smoked Pork Tenderloin

This recipe is inspired from FoodTV and dinner at Carrabba’s Italian Grill.

Fig & Port Wine Sauce Ingredients
Olive Oil
1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced

16 small dried Mission figs, stemmed or Prunes (with seeds removed) or raisins
2 1/2 cups Port Wine
1 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 tbsp Honey
1 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf
1 tsp balsamic vinegar, or more to taste
2 – 3 tbsp Butter
½ tsp Salt
Freshly ground pepper, to taste

Pork Medallions Ingredients
1 pork tenderloin about 1 1 /2 pounds
Prosciutto about ¼ pound, sliced thin
Three Little Pigs BBQ Rub or your favorite rub

Fig & Port Wine Sauce
In a small frying pan add olive oil and sliced sweet onions – cook until caramelized.

Place figs and Port Wine in a large base saucepan and heat over medium-low heat for about 8-minutes. The wider the base of your pan, the quicker this sauce will start to reduce. Add broth, honey, thyme, bay leaf, balsamic vinegar, and caramelized onions to the fig port mixture. Bring to a boil and cook on low to medium heat until reduced, about 40-minutes. It is important that the sauce reduces to a “syrup” so it sticks to the meat! Season with salt and pepper. Then add desired amount of butter for that gourmet touch!

Pork Medallions
Cut the pork tenderloin into desired sizes about 1 ½-inch. We got 9 medallion from 1 ½ pounds of Pork Tenderloin. Carefully mold them into the medallion shape. Wrap with prosciutto and close with a wooden tooth pick – be sure to remove them before serving. Season both sides with Three Little Pigs BBQ Rub or your choice of rubs. Add olive oil just before grilling for additional flare up and grill marks. Preheat grill with pellets until smoking and then add the pork medallions. See my previous post on Wood-Grilled Dinner on a Gas Grill. Cook for 6-minutes on each side and an additional minute on each side to brown the prosciutto.

48 thoughts on “Wood-Grilled Prosciutto Wrapped Pork Medallions with a Fig & Port Wine Sauce

1. Norm 2.0 says:

Oh, that looks so delicious! I can’t eat the prosciutto (waaay to salty for my diet) but I will certainly try that sauce with pork.

It is delicious! And is great with or without the prosciutto. You could also use bacon if you really wanted to wrap the medallions.

2. Lilly Sue says:

Yum! Before even reading that post or the title, the picture had me sold! This recipe looks awesome! I want to try when I am back home 🙂

Thank you! It was delicious and I did like the picture. The sauce is awesome!! I hope you enjoy the recipe!

3. alifemoment says:

Delicious recipe, loved the sauce! 🙂

Thank you! The sauce has a nice complex flavor but is easy to make. 🙂

1. alifemoment says:

I will definitely try it! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

Your welcome and I hope you enjoy the meal! 🙂

3. alifemoment says:

I am sure I will! 🙂

🙂 Have a great day!

4. lulu says:

Omigosh, these sound amazing!

Thank you! We really enjoyed them at the restaurant and was pleased when we could find a recipe that tasted the same.

5. I have to first say, loving the new blog makeover my friend. Big images are great. Make the mouth water that much more.Second, the bbq looks like it could drip right onto my lips…

Thank you for your kind words! And that reminds me I need to let everyone know I updated the look of my blog. I am working on my food photography and am definitely inspired by your photos and tips!

6. Sheryl says:

This looks absolutely delicious–and like it would be a perfect fall food to serve friends.

It is a wonderful dish and great for entertaining since there is so much you can do upfront. I hope you enjoy it if you decide to try the recipe.

7. Joe Garofalo says:

This sounds so great. Everything looks so good. The sauce looks so awesome, I will certainly try that sauce with pork. Great post. Thanks

I just love this sauce! It is rich but yet not too rich. The right balance of flavors. I hope you enjoy the dinner if you prepare it. 🙂

8. Lucid Gypsy says:

I don’t eat meat but I must say it looks and no doubt tasted heavenly.

It is a wonderful dish with a rich, but well-balanced sauce. I am glad you could at least enjoy looking at the pictures. 🙂

1. Arlene says:

I made the fig and port sauce. I found with the figs there were too many of the little seeds. I followed the directions exactly. The sauce did not thicken as it reduced and eventually turned into a thick jam I had the dish two nights before at Carrabas and was excited to try your recipe Happy with the meat but will keep searching for the sauce recipe.

Try plums or prunes instead of figs that might work better. If it turned into jam then it was overcooked. There is a delicate balance between just right and too thick. Once it gets really syrupy or sticky it is a bit too done. The first time I made the sauce it came out too thin because I was afraid to overcook it. Then I reheated it and it thickened. After I made this recipe I got Carrabba’s recipe. They use 1 c port, 3/4 c chicken broth, 1 granny smith apple, 3/4 cup diced dried figs; 1 tbsp finely cut onion; 6 tbsp cold unsalted butter. I love their cookbook!

2. Lisa Kissinger says:

This sauce is so good I was dipping my steamed broccoli in it. No meat needed. Don’t know what you would use instead of chicken broth though.

Could you use a vegetable broth? That is what I substitute if I do not have chicken broth available.

9. I love the colors in your picture! So vibrant 🙂

Thank you – it is a wonderful meal!

10. kanzensakura says:

This such a great picture of what looks to be a wonderful meal!

It is just awesome! Gourmet meal with not a lot of work. 🙂

11. This looks amazing!

Thank you – it is awesome! Just be careful to not overcook the sauce since it can get syrupy! But overall I just love this meal!

12. Marla G says:

I had this dish last nite at Carrabba’s – it was amazing just as so many posters stated. Can’t wait to try this recipe.

It is a fantastic dish! You just need to be careful to not overcook the sauce or it can become syrup.

13. These look amazing! I can’t wait to try this recipe.

This is delicious, easy to make, and is a gourmet meal! It is one of my favorites!!

Thank you for reblogging to your readers! I hope you and your readers enjoy this delicious recipe!

14. 2thekitchen says:

This looks and sounds absolutely delicious, can‘t wait to try it out! 🙂

This is a dish we love! I hope you enjoy it if you try it! 🙂

15. rosemarie says:

I have been wanting the recipe for a long time. I have it every time I go to Carrabba’s. Sooo good. Thank you so much.Can I use balsamic fig vinegar.
    So hard to find fresh figs.

Your welcome and yes it is hard to find fresh figs. I would definitely experiment to see what works. Just be careful when cooking the sauce since it can turn thick and syrupy rather quickly. I would recommending getting their cooking http://www.amazon.com/Carrabbas-Italian-Grill-Recipes-Around/dp/111819733X/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450542732&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=carrubbas+cooking+book. Happy Cooking!!

16. Bernice, this looks scrumptious. I have the port, now to get my hands on those figs.. Otherwise, prunes it is!

I think prunes would work too. Hope you enjoy it. Just be careful with the sauce because it can become too thick / syrupy.

1. Thanks Bernice. Good advice! Perhaps I’ll try a practice run, first! Have a lovely weekend.

I hope you enjoy it!