This is a wonderful recipe if you love ginger like I do – topping the mini cupcakes with crystallized ginger adds another layer of that wonderful ginger flavor! I love bite-size desserts since you can try different options while maintaining some control over the calories! It is fun to make and serve different bite-size desserts such as Bite Size Cheesecakes, Bite-Size Bread Pudding with Strawberry Topping, Mini-Indian Rice Pudding Desserts – Slow Cooked, and Pumpkin Chocolate Chips Bite-Size Snack. You can take any recipe and convert it into bite-size desserts. Just remember to consider how long to bake the dessert if you are making mini cupcakes or something similar. Arranging the bite-size desserts can make a dramatic presentation and your guests will love a dessert bar to select different options from. Have you entertained with a dessert bar?

Bite Size Dessert Bar

I adapted this recipe from Cooking Appetizers – they have a lot of great recipes for inspiration!

Bite Size Ginger Cupcakes

1/2 cup sour cream, low-fat at room temperature

Remaining Ingredients:
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger

Topping:
1 recipe Cream Cheese Frosting with a Splash of Lemon
Sliced candied ginger, for garnish

Preheat oven to 350Β°F. Line three miniature muffin pans with paper cupcake liners.

Sift together the dry ingredients. Using a mixer, cream the butter. Add 3 tbsp of the sugar, the vanilla, grated ginger and lemon zest; beat on medium speed for about a minute. Slowly add the remaining sugar and mix well. Add the egg and beat until very smooth.

Add about one-third of the flour mixture and mix until incorporated. Add half the sour cream and mix until blended. Repeat with half the remaining flour mixture, the rest of the sour cream, and ending with the last of the flour mixture. Stir in the crystallized ginger.

Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups.

Bake until the cupcakes are pale golden and spring back when gently pressed in the center, about 17 to 20 minutes. Be careful to not over bake them otherwise they will dry out.

Frost the mini-cupcakes and I like to garnish with sliced crystallized ginger since I love the extra ginger! Below is a frosting recipe you can use or modify to your taste!

Cream Cheese Frosting with a Splash of Lemon
5 oz. cream cheese, low-fat at room temperature
2 tbsp butter, at room temperature
1 to 2 tbsp grated lemon zest
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla (preferably homemade!)
1 1/4 cup confectioners sugar

Beat the cream cheese with a hand-held electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add the butter and beat until smooth. Beat in the remaining ingredients except for the confectioners sugar. On low speed, gradually add the confectioners sugar, beating until smooth. (Be careful you do not want confectioners sugar all over your kitchen by beating it on too high of a speed. Also another reason to slowly add the confectioners sugar.) Slowly increase the speed to high and beat for just a few seconds, until the frosting is smooth and fluffy.

16 thoughts on “Mini Ginger Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting with a Splash of Lemon and a Bite-Size Dessert Bar

1. I don’t have a yen for sweets anymore, thank goodness, or I’d be smacking my lips and padding my hips. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ Sounds delish.

ha ha ha – yes desserts can be dangerous!! πŸ™‚

2. natbiggs says:

I love anything ginger!

Me too! I also love ginger tea – made with fresh ginger!

3. Gorgeous cupcakes… love the flavours in here.

Thank you! They were good – especially with the added ginger. πŸ™‚

4. Sheryl says:

I’ve had bite-sized desserts at restaurants, but never thought about making them myself. But I’ll have to try making some bit-sized desserts during the upcoming holiday season. I think that guests would appreciate having them as an option.

They are just wonderful since they present nicely and people can try different desserts. And those watching their calories can still enjoy without too many calories! I bought little serving plates, bowls, and silverware through Amazon. It is a lot of fun!

5. They do look and sound delicious.

Thank you! They were yummy and I would definitely make them again. πŸ™‚

6. Ginger cup cakes and muffins are one of my favorites, they look delicious Bernice! Then you added the cream cheese icing, wow, I could eat a bowl of that by it’s self, yum!

ha ha they were good. I do remember when we first started chatting that you liked a ginger muffin from a local restaurant. I love ginger especially chewy gingerbread cookies.

7. Love ginger and definitely bookmarking these adorable dainty bites:)

They were really good and I am sure you will add your own special touches!!