Buttermilk Red Potato Salad Closeup Picture

Now that the warm weather has arrived, I am trying a few new salad recipes to supplement the traditional ones I make every year. Recently, I started to explore using red potatoes since they are small, easy to cook, and work well with a lot of dishes. For this recipe I like to use tender celery stalks and you can control how tangy the dressing is by whether you use miracle whip or mayonnaise and how much Dijon mustard you add. Dijon mustard has a tang to it so be sure to have a few taste tests as you are making the dressing. Miracle Whip also has a sweeter, spicier flavor than mayonnaise so it really is your choice, which to use in this recipe. The peas add a nice color to the red potatoes and of course sneaks in a vegetable. This recipe makes a lot so you might want to consider making a half recipe if you do not want a lot of potato salad! Also consider fresh dill if you have it – I still need to stock up on my fresh herbs for the summer. I hope you enjoy it!

Buttermilk Red Potato Salad in Serving Bowl

3 pounds small red potatoes

Dressing:
1 cup miracle whip, light or mayonnaise
1/2 cup buttermilk, light
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp dill weed

Mixing Ingredients:
Salt and Pepper
10 ounces peas, cooked if frozen
1 cup chopped celery
1 small sweet onion, chopped or diced

Wash and place the red potatoes in a large pot of water. Bring the water and red potatoes to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for about 15-minutes, until the red potatoes are tender. I like to gently pierce with a sharp knife. Drain the potatoes and rinse with cold water if desired to cool them more quickly.

In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients. When the red potatoes have cooled a bit, cut them to desired size. Place them in a large bowl alternating with the mixing ingredients and dressing. Gently fold together as the red potatoes will still be warmed. Place in the refrigerator for a few hours to chill. Consider adding more dill when serving since it adds such a nice flavor!

22 thoughts on “Buttermilk Red Potato and Dill Salad

1. alifemoment says:

Delicious salad, I love it! 🙂

Thanks! It was a nice change to the traditional potato salad – the dill was a nice touch. Plus red potatoes are just awesome!!

1. alifemoment says:

It looked very creamy and the dill always makes the difference! 🙂
        Alice

I haven’t used dill in years and now I am using it in a few recipes. I really need to get some fresh dill. My husband loves dill so I need to find a few more recipes.

3. alifemoment says:

I try to use fresh dill instead of the dried one, especially during spring and summer recipes! Have a nice Sunday!
        Alice

Yes spring and summer really calls for those fresh herbs! Have a fabulous day! Bernice

5. alifemoment says:

Thank you so much Bernice! The weather today was lovely so we had some barbecue! Hope you had a lovely day,too!
        Best wishes,
        Alice

A BBQ is always nice! Saturday was beautiful and today started off nice but then the rain came in. So busy indoors getting a few things done so when it is nice we can be outside! 🙂

7. alifemoment says:

I love BBQ! Hope you have an amazing week!
        Best wishes,
        Alice

Thanks! Have a great week too! Bernice

2. kanzensakura says:

I like this combination of flavors and can hardly wait to try this. BTW, I received my bbq sauce from Amazon today. it smells wonderful. We’re having grilled chicken for dinner.

Funny we are grilling chicken tonight with Chiavetta’s marinade. I hope you enjoy it! We went on a nice nature hike this afternoon so we are ready for a nice grilled dinner!

Thank you! It was really good!

3. Sinfully Tempting says:

Wonderful recipe! I’m very happy I stumbled across your blog. Nice to meet you! 🙂

Thank you! Glad you found me and left a comment! I hope you enjoy or at least is inspired by other recipes that you can adapt as your own. Have a fabulous day! Bernice 🙂

4. I really like the addition of buttermilk to the dressing, I’m sure it gives it a wonderful flavor!

I liked the buttermilk since it did introduce a different flavor into the dressing. A nice change to the traditional potato salad.

5. Sophie33 says:

I made your delectable salad but added slices pickles gherkins to it!.it was divine! X

That is a fantastic idea – I love it!!