Beef in Guinness final
Is everyone enjoying the last few days of March? I know I will be glad for this month to be over and hopefully get closer to real spring weather. It still has been bitter cold – though today it got a bit warmer and we are hoping for better temperatures to come – and stay! This complaint seems common across people within the states and Canada. The time, however, has been going by quickly as I am trying to get ahead on a few projects so when the warm weather arrives I can enjoy it! I have started to learn Zumba – in the past I never cared for aerobics but I must admit I really like Zumba! A lot of the music has a great beat and attitude. What has everyone been doing while they are waiting for spring to really arrive? Maybe having a Guinness?

Guinness

This was our St. Patrick’s Day stew made with Guinness providing a rich flavor. Last year I made Irish Guinness Stew. The stew meat I used for this dish is the same as other beef stew recipes; however, the meat was extremely tender. I am going to contribute that tenderness to the Guinness and I may need to use it more often when making beef stew! For the dumplings, I prefer to bake them since I like them crisper for that crunch factor. But you can drop them on top of the stew and cover to let them cook. Or place the meal into the oven to finish the dumplings. I like to make mine on the stovetop but you could also make this dinner in the oven.
Beef in Guinness in braising pan
Adapted from The Complete Irish Pub cookbook. Click here for the cookbook.

Stew
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 large sweet onions; thinly sliced
8 carrots; sliced (or more)
2 lb. stew meat, cut in cubes

1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp margarine or butter
2 Tbsp chopped, fresh parsley, plus extra for garnish
1/3 cup milk

Stew:
Divide the olive oil between a frying pan to brown the beef in a casserole or braising pan. Heat the oil in both pans adding the meat to the frying pan to brown adding any salt and pepper. Add the onions and carrots to the braising pan for the onions to caramelize. Just before adding the browned meat to the onions and carrots, blend in the flour, brown sugar, and thyme. Then add the meat, then Guinness beer and bay leaves. Simmer for a couple of hours.

Dumplings:
Mix the dry ingredients together and then slowly add the wet ingredients. You may need to add more flour or milk depending upon the consistency of the dumplings. Preheat oven to 375 and bake for about 25-minutes or you can drop into your beef stew and cook.

17 thoughts on “Beef in Guinness with Herb Dumplings

1. There’s nothing better than homemade dumplings…especially with a Guinness sauce!

It was a wonderful combination!!

2. Heather says:

mmmm, love stew, this sounds great, but would never have thought to include Guinness. I’ve seen Zumba demos, looks tough, but like fun! Good for you…

The Guinness is a nice touch for something different. Zumba is fun and you can start slow and work your way up to a more difficult workout.

3. This stew looks so rich and delicious. I am sure it warms you up on these last days of dreary March.

Our St. Patrick’s Day was bitter cold so it was a nice stew with the addition of Guinness to make it a “warmer” day. 🙂

4. Oh this sounds yummy, I have to try it!

It was really good. The meat was so tender with the Guinness and made a wonderful St. Patrick’s Day meal.

5. kanzensakura says:

oh my this looks good!!

It was really good. I like to try new recipes for St. Patrick’s Day – lately it has been Guinness and a version of a Beef stew.

1. kanzensakura says:

I am keeping this in mind because I am always looking for variations on basic beef stew.

Realistic Cooking Ideas for Busy Peop

It was a nice change even though I do not care for beer. But the Guinness adds a nice rich flavor to the stew. and of course it is from Ireland making it more festive for the day.

3. kanzensakura says:

It does. I don’t like beer but sometimes tip up a Harp or Guineas. I would think the Guineas would add a nice brown note under the other layers.

Realistic Cooking Ideas for Busy Peop

Yes it does add a nice brown note…. and once in awhile a Harp is nice especially if we are at an Irish festival!

6. My wife was looking over my shoulder while I was reading this recipe. It’s now on our “to do” list.

Yes, this stew is very good – especially the richness from the Guinness! Enjoy!!