Double Layered Banana Pie with Pistachios and Chocolate Sliced

I love taking a recipe and trying different variations like I did with my pancake series and strawberry shortcake series. It is so much fun to just make minor changes introducing a different flavor profile. When I made my Creamy Banana Pie with Coconut there were so many variations that would result in it being slightly different each time you make it. This recipe is similar to the original except this time I used both vanilla and chocolate pudding and used pistachios as a topping, which added a nice crunch and a bit of saltiness. Pistachios and chocolate are a fabulous combination! And pistachios are just fun to eat! I remember as a child, pistachios were one of my favorite. They came in red shells and your fingers got all red as you shelled them. Now they come in their natural casing with no red dye. Safer for my fingers! Also in this version I eliminated the sweetened condensed milk. If you are wondering why… it is because I forgot to pick it up when we went grocery shopping. So what do you do when missing an ingredient? Improvise… make a change. You will lose some of the sweetness and thickness so you might want to add it and reduce the milk. Refer to my original recipe for measurements. I tend to use store-bought pie crusts, but if you make your own in a deeper pie pan you could have a really nice layering affect with the chocolate and vanilla pudding! And my inspiration for adding pistachios as a topping came from chatting with Heather from dreamin… life as I see it regarding my original recipe. She asked if nuts could be substituted for the coconut… and yes you can make changes to introduce ingredients you like. That inspired me to think about using nuts in one of my variations. I love how we inspire each other to make changes and introduce ingredients we were not considering. So thank you Heather!

Double Layered Banana Pie with Pistachios and Chocolate whole pie

Crust
2 Graham Pie Crust
4 Bananas, ripe

Filling
1 4-serving size box of instant sugar free, fat free vanilla pudding
1 4-serving size box of instant sugar free, fat free chocolate pudding
4 cups cold skim milk
2 cups whipped topping, light, thawed (in a tub)

Topping
Whipped Cream
Pistachios

Filling Preparation
In a small bowl add 2 cups cold milk to a package of chocolate instant pudding. Beat for 2-minutes and place in the refrigerator to chill for 5-minutes. Gently fold in 1 cup of the whipped topping.

Crust Preparation
Slice bananas and place in the bottom of the pie crust. Pour some of the chocolate pudding into the pie crust. Place in the refrigerator until it sets.

Now repeat the filling preparation except with the vanilla pudding.

After the chocolate pudding sets, add another layer of bananas and top with the vanilla pudding. Place in refrigerator until it sets.

Finish and Serve
Before serving, sprinkle pistachios on the top and then finish with whipped cream to decorate the edges, which I decided to skip this time.

13 thoughts on “Double Layered Banana Pie with Pistachios and Chocolate

Thank you Kristah! The pistachios were a nice touch.

1. yumelicious says:

Absolutely giving it a try… Looks delectable!

Thanks… it was good with both the vanilla and chocolate pudding.

2. Heather says:

lol…you are most welcome!!!! this is awesome Bernice…I’m definitly going to have to give it a try, love the idea of the pistachios. I too enjoy the natural pistachios now!

The pistachios were so good and the added saltiness was nice.

3. kanzensakura says:

I like these variations you try. Pistachios! Yum

Thank you! I have one more variation to post. It definitely is fun trying slightly different ingredients. 🙂

4. Daniela says:

Just discovered our blog through BAM’s kitchen.
    That’s a fantastic looking banana pie, so rich and delicious.

Thank you! These pies are so easy to make and fun to eat. I love Bam’s blog – she is a fabulous cook!

5. I adore when you showcase desserts…my very favorite thing!!!

Thanks! These pies are so good. I am disappointed that they are all gone! I need to find another lower calorie dessert to help me get through this bitter cold winter. 🙂