Moroccan Chicken with preserved lemons and green olives in braising pan 3

Realistic Cooking Ideas is celebrating its two-year birthday! It is a wonderful journey meeting so many interesting bloggers from around the world, reading your fabulous recipes and stories, and all the beautiful photos. I was humbled when more than 800 people followed my blog and I hope to continue bringing you my versions of recipes. In order to improve the quality of my food photography, I bought a Canon T5i camera and am trying different lenses and experimenting with lighting. There are some great instructional videos on youtube and I purchased Michael’s Digital Photography School crash course. I have a lot to learn about photography but it is definitely fun to keep practicing.

The Moroccan Chicken is a wonderful dish that only gets better the next day! My husband says this is an exotic dish from another land! It is delicious with wonderful warm, earthy flavors. I love all the spices and it is the first time I used preserved lemons. My inspiration for this recipe was from Molly Stevens book “All About Braising”. I would recommend to purchase her book if you want all her tips and wonderful advice.

This was my first opportunity to use my new braising pan I received for Christmas. It is always fun to have something new to use in making delicious meals.
New Braising Pan

To make it easier I used Gourmet Preserved Lemons from our local grocery store Wegmans. You can make your own but I am not sure I would ever plan that far in advance to let them preserve.
Gourmet Preserved Lemons

Moroccan Chicken plated

Spices
½ tsp Ginger, ground
½ tsp Cumin, ground
½ tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Black Pepper, freshly ground
1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
¼ tsp Red Pepper Flakes, crushed
¼ tsp Saffron Threads, crumbled (if you have them)

Chicken
1 tbsp Olive Oil
½ tbsp Butter, unsalted is preferred since the olives have salt
2 pounds Chicken Breast, boneless, skinless
(4 small chicken breasts, or 2 large cut in half)
Seasoned Salt
Black Pepper, freshly ground
1 Sweet Onion, medium, sliced
2 Garlic Cloves, sliced thinly

Braise
1 cup Water or Chicken Stock, low sodium
1 Lemon, halved
1/2 cup Cilantro
¼ cup Green Olives, pitted, rinsed and drained, cut in half
1 or 2 Salt-Preserved Lemons

Spices
Combine spices in a bowl and set aside.

Chicken
In a braising pan heat the oil and butter. Add chicken, season with salt and pepper. Once chicken is browned remove from the pan. Add the onion and cook for a few minutes to soften. Then add garlic and the spices and heat for a minute or two to release their flavors.

Braising
Add water or chicken stock to the pan to deglaze and bring to a boil. Add chicken, cover, and reduce heat to low cooking for about 10-minutes. Turn chicken over and add the lemon juice from ½ of the lemon and half of the cilantro. Cook the chicken on low for about 20-minutes.

Green Olives and Preserved Lemon
Be sure to rinse the green olives and preserved lemons under cold water to remove the excess salt. Remove and throw away the pulp from the lemons. It should be easy to remove if you use a spoon to start removing it from one corner and then it should peel off. Chop the peel into ½ pieces. Once the chicken has been cooking for 30-minutes add the olives and preserved lemon peels. Be sure to turn the chicken to allow it to cook through.

Sauce
Turn the heat to medium to reduce the liquids into a sauce. Add the liquid from ½ of the lemon, remaining cilantro, and additional salt and pepper. This takes about 15-minutes. Serve by pouring the sauce over the chicken.

21 thoughts on “Braised Moroccan Chicken with Preserved Lemons and Green Olives

1. Andy Oldham says:

Congrats on your two year birthday! Hope I make it that long! I love your recipes and blog!

Thank you! After 6-months I wondered the same thing. I just keep trying reinvent myself when I feel I am becoming stale. 🙂

2. kanzensakura says:

Glad to hear about that two year anniversary!!! And this is a lovely recipe to celebrate with. I enjoy your blog a lot and look forward to more.

Thank you!! The Moroccan Chicken was just awesome! I really do need to make it again. Just need to get more preserved lemons.

3. Heather says:

Happy Two Years!!! love your blog…I’m not a great cook so it is awesome that your blog makes me consider cooking! That is a feat in itself… 😉

Thank you! And you inspire me with your questions! 🙂

1. Heather says:

welcome…and you inspire me to try! 🙂

🙂 Have a great day!

4. Good luck with your new camera and thanx for the recipe. Peace.

Thanks so much! I have a lot to learn about photography!

5. Cindy says:

This looks so mouth watering good!! I have to try this recipe.

It was one of those recipes that was so enjoyable that you were disappointed when the left overs were gone.

6. Happy 2nd Blogiversary! Great little dish and I have not yet cooked with preserved lemons and your recipe looks like a simple and fun recipe to try. Great photos!

Thanks so much Bam! It was a great find both the preserved lemons and the recipe.

7. What wonderful flavors to the chicken, preserved lemons is a great idea for it:) And happy 2nd blog birthday, Bernice, look forward to many more fun recipes…

Thank you Peri! This is the first time I am using preserved lemons. This recipe has ton of flavors!

8. I just LOVE this combination.
    You have a great blog – really glad that I found it!
    Emma x.

Thank you Emma!! I never used preserved lemons – actually never heard of them until this recipe. It was packed with wonderful flavors!

Thank you! It was one of those dishes you hate to be gone! I will need to make it again and soon.