Creamy Banana Pie Sliced

My husband has been asking for a homemade banana pie for what seem like ages. So I decided to make one for Super Bowl Sunday! The challenge was to come up with a recipe that was not high in fat as many called for whipping heavy cream. Instead I decided to use a light whipped topping that you find in a tub in the frozen food area. Plus it saved time from having to whip the heavy cream. We enjoy sugar free and fat free instant pudding so that seemed like a good option for this recipe. The pudding with whipped topping makes it creamy. I made sure the bananas were ripe for more added flavor. The day before the Super Bowl I made the pie so it would be cold and the flavors would have a chance to blend. Then when it was time to serve it, I just added my toppings and we were set. Greg and I really enjoyed this version of a banana pie. It was a disappointment when the pie was gone!

If you make a banana cream pie how is your version different than mine? Do you make a cold version like I did or a baked custard version?

Creamy Banana Pie Crust with Bananas

Creamy Banana Pie Finished

Crust
1 Graham Pie Crust
2 – 3 Bananas, ripe

Filling
1 4-serving size box of instant sugar free, fat free vanilla pudding
1 cup cold skim milk
1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup whipped topping, light, thawed (in a tub)

Topping
Whipped Cream
Toasted coconut

Filling Preparation
In a medium bowl, combine pudding mix, cold milk, and sweetened condensed milk. Blend for 2-minutes and place in the refrigerator to chill for 5-minutes. Gently fold in 1 cup of the whipped topping.

Crust Preparation
Slice bananas and place in the bottom and sides of the cookie crust. Pour filling into the crust. Place in the refrigerator until it sets.

Finish and Serve
Before serving, sprinkle toasted coconut on the top and then finish with whipped cream to decorate the edges.

25 thoughts on “Creamy Banana Pie with Toasted Coconut

It was really good – we were disappointed when it was gone!

1. cindy knoke says:

I’ll have two pieces please!

Cindy – it is hard to only have 1 piece!!

2. kanzensakura says:

Please send me a pie right away! I do make two banana pies – one with cooked custard and one similar to yours. I make it with sugar free pudding, light topping, and fat free banana yogurt. sometimes I add drained crushed pineapple to the bananas. Like you, I like using the ripe bananas for flavor. I really like this type of desert – they are so cool, satisfying, luscious and not bad for you at all. I also do a light banana split pie that is to die for. I’m going to do a post on onion strings and I think I’ll do the banana split pie as well – sort of a soda shop theme.

I look forward to your soda shop dessert and the idea of that theme. This was such a fun pie to eat and I never thought about using banana yogurt – what a great idea!! I am going to try another variation that will include chocolate! Most likely I need a deeper pie crust to make my vision a reality. Mine was a little shallow – it meant a side serving of the pudding, which was okay too!

3. You had me at toasted coconut (I adore anything with coconut). My husband loves banana creme pie and for some reason, I’ve never made it. I’ve made the very southern banana pudding, but I’ll need to try your recipe. I think I may switch the crust to a chocolate one (he loves chocolate). Your recipe looks easy enough for a weeknight!

A chocolate crust would be fabulous. I am going to try another variation where it is part chocolate and vanilla. I have a few ideas. It is very easy to make and can be made during the week. I made it a day before serving but I could have served it that night if I wanted to. I hope you enjoy it!

1. I’m sure we will! Banana, chocolate and toasted coconut sound wonderful. I hope you’ll share your other versions soon. 🙂

Over the summer I made different variations of a strawberry shortcake. I am thinking of trying a few different versions of banana cream pie. Hopefully it will make the winter a bit easier to get through!

4. Heather says:

sounds awesome Bernice…I’m not a fan of coconut but I’m sure that could be changed to crushed nuts???

Crushed nuts would be awesome!!! The coconut is more for decoration and it adds a little crunch. And thanks for the inspiration!!! I am working on a different version and might have to add some pistachio nuts!

5. Oh Yum!! This is one of my favorite, too bad you live so far away, I would trade you a piece of your pie for a piece of my cheesecake! Your pie looks really delicious 🙂 , I love the toasted coconut on top and the whipped cream!

check out my cheesecake with strawberry topping post,

Michael 🙂

Your strawberry shortcake looks awesome! I would have loved to swapped slices of pie!! What a great idea to use full-size strawberries instead of slicing them. Dramatic and delish!!

Thank you! It was very good and so easy to make. I am going to try a few variations instead of just remaking the same recipe.

6. lisacrispin says:

OK, I’m probably going to use real whipped cream. I love the toasted coconut, that makes it look irresistable!

Lisa you are too funny! The whipped cream would be awesome!!

7. Love that you’ve used healthier swaps for a creamy outcome:) I’ve always avoided banana cream pie due to the cream! Great recipe…

It was really good and I did like the blend of the healthier whipped cream with the pudding. And of course it just made a nice pudding on the side as I had too much for the pie. I might need to start making my own crust since the purchase ones are rather small!!

1. I agree…and nothing beats an amazing pie crust made from scratch, I generally make it in my food processor:)

That is a great idea Peri – I will have to try my food processor!!

8. Oh this does like it could ease a little stress in your day☺

Yes, it is classic comfort food!