Asian Inspired Layered Chicken Dip2
Well we survived the Blizzard ’14 and the temperatures went from -30F with wind chill to 50F this weekend including rain and flooding! In my previous posting I shared a few pictures that I took through our window since it was too frigid to go outside. I went shopping on Saturday and it was rather hot after the frigid temperatures. The blizzard dumped a lot of snow on our area and the roads were pretty bad for a few days. Luckily there was a driving ban for about 24-hours which definitely help. But this blizzard does not compare to the Blizzard ’77 that I lived through where schools were closed for two-weeks. Here is a great slide show called “Blizzard of 77 The White Death”. Click here to view the 7-minute slide show with audio. I could never explain how devastating and dangerous this blizzard was – cars were literally buried from the high winds.

But now that the storm is over I am back to posting new recipes! This was a great dip that we enjoyed on New Years Eve since I was able to have everything prepared ahead of time and quickly assembled it before serving. I have made this dip for more years than I can remember. It is different and some people find it rather unusual when they first see it. But don’t let that stop you – it is delicious! I like to use a rotisserie BBQ chicken to save time from having to cook the chicken. Typically I make the chicken topping and sauce the day before and just assemble the dip before serving. When I bring this dip to parties, I assemble everything except for adding the sauce and topping. This dip does not store well once the sauce is added – everything gets a bit soggy and loses its freshness.

Chicken Topping

1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce, low-sodium

Base
8-ounce cream cheese, low-fat or fat-free, softened
1 tbsp milk, skim

Topping
¼ cup chopped, unsalted peanuts
Green onions, sliced
Wheat Thin crackers or your favorite crackers

Chicken Topping Preparation
Mix together the chicken topping ingredients in a small bowl. Refrigerate to blend the flavors.

Sweet and Sour Sauce Preparation
In a small saucepan combine the brown sugar and cornstarch. Mix well and gradually add the remaining ingredients and cook for about 5-minutes. Mixture should slightly thicken. Cool the sauce and place in refrigerator. I serve mine chilled but you could also use it room temperature.

Base and Assembling the Dip Preparation
Combine the softened cream cheese and milk – blend until smooth and fluffy. Spread the mixture over a 10-inch round serving dish or two smaller dishes. Spoon the chicken topping evenly over the cream cheese mixture. Drizzle the sweet and sour sauce and then add the unsalted peanuts and sliced green onions. Serve immediately.

19 thoughts on “Asian Inspired Layered Chicken Dip

It is really good and I would imagine you could add your own touches!!

1. Heather says:

mmmmm…this sounds awesome…you offer some of the most wonderful recipes! and I don’t like to cook… 🙂

ha ha. that is so funny you don’t like to cook. But this one is super easy! 🙂

1. Heather says:

lol…nope never have!!! but I do have to say your recipes do inspire me so I may just attempt a few… 🙂

That is indeed a nice compliment! 🙂

2. kanzensakura says:

this looks so very good. I always like to provide a treat for my teen Sunday School class. I think they (and me) would enjoy this – even though it is early for an appetizer, I think this would work for a tween breakfast and lunch nosh for them. My kids are all Asian so they would appreciate the flavors. Making it low fat and low sodium will help all of us as well. thanks!

It is a nice dish since you get protein and carbs. Plus low-sodium items definitely help. You can spread the cream cheese mixture as thin as you like to reduce some of the calories. It is one of my favorite appetizers / dips.

3. Cindy Green says:

This looks and sounds like pure comfort!

It is a great dish and so much fun to eat!

4. Wow, that is cold:) This dip has such an amazing mix of flavors in it, and a pretty healthy one too!

Yes, it is fairly healthy for a dip / appetizer. I have always loved this dish. I am sure you could also add your own personal touches such as adding hot sauce. It was brutally cold but now it has warmed up and we are having floods. Very odd weather.

1. Hot sauce sounds like a great idea for it…Texas weather has been equally odd, down in the teens last week and at 60 this week:)

A little heat would be nice for this dip. I hope this weather settles down soon…

5. Ingrid says:

Wow this sounds really good. Now that I’m traveling in a RV with a small oven, store bought rotisserie chicken has become a regular go to item. Although that polar vortex made it down to the Gulf shores it in no way was close to the impact felt up north. Sending you warm temps and sun 🙂

Thanks! I cannot wait for spring and sunny days! This is a great dip / appetizer. I love using Rotisserie Chicken in dishes like this. It is so moist and flavorful making the dip even better! 🙂

6. Lilly Sue says:

Very unique recipe idea! I am sure it tastes delicious. Glad the weather is a bit better. Those pictures of Blizzard ’77 are crazy- wow.

Blizzard of ’77 is something most of us hope to never see again! The dip is excellent and a nice change from the type of dips I grew up with.