Green Bean Casserole with Goat Cheese

It is hard to believe that Christmas will be here in a few short days! It always seems that these days are on fast-forward and in a blink it is Christmas Eve, then Christmas day, and then the day after. It must be the quickest time of year! On Christmas Eve, Greg and I will go to services and then spend Christmas day with my parents. Yesterday we went to a fun family party at his sister’s house. Every year she gathers the family for a nice party that includes a “gag” gift exchange. Everyone brings a gag gift or something that is funny. Each person has to either recite something from a Christmas movie or poem, or a few words from a Christmas song. Then you pick a wrapped gift and pick a name of who goes next. You can steal a wrapped gift from another person and typically there is a gift or two that is in great demand with people stealing from each other. At the end, we each open our gifts. I got a “pick up sticks” game and Greg got some odd magnifying glasses that you can wear for bird watching. The pick up sticks look like they would make good chicken skewers since they are made of wood and the ends are painted different colors. Of course they probably are not FDA approved for food! But somehow everything in my life goes back to food, technology, or sci-fi. For my song I asked if anyone knew who the group was that remade a famous Christmas song. This song has gone viral in certain social media circles. Here are a few words “Make it So, Make it So, Make it So”. “Tea, Earl Grey, Hot Make it So, Make it So, Make it So”. Trekkies will know this one… but in case you have not… It is a parody of “Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow” by Captain Picard and the Starfleet officers from Star Trek The Next Generation. Since it does not snow in the galaxy… we can’t say “let it snow”… but Picard always says “make it so”. Of course I just love this “Christmas song”. In case you have not seen it…

Now on to a dish that I made for Thanksgiving.

Vegetable:
1 1/2 pounds green beans

Sauce:
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1/8 cup flour
2 cups milk
1 garlic clove, finely grated
4 ounces fresh goat cheese
1 tsp smoked paprika
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

Topping:
French-fried onions

Earlier in the day I like to steam the green beans for about 3-minutes. Then immerse in cold water to stop the cooking process. Dry, cut into bite-size pieces, and dry again. When you are ready to make them, preheat the oven to 350° and spray a shallow 9-by-13-inch baking dish.

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour and whisk over low to medium heat for about 4 minutes. Gradually whisk in the milk and garlic and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer, whisking constantly, until thick, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the goat cheese. Season the sauce with salt, pepper and ½ teaspoon of the smoked paprika.

In a large bowl, toss the green beans with the sauce. Spread the mixture into the prepared casserole and the remaining ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika over the top. Bake for 20-minutes and then add the French-fried onions. Bake a few more minutes until the French-fried onions are lightly browned. Let the casserole stand for a few minutes before serving.

11 thoughts on “Green Bean Casserole with Goat Cheese

1. kanzensakura says:

Every morning when my husband and I leave for work, we do the getting the “starship ready” rolutine…..thrusters, warp engines, etc. etc. and finally, engage. He is not the Trekkie I am but in years of marriage to me, he has caught on and found himself enjoying it. Thank you for this wonderful wonderful post.

I am glad you saw this post as I was hoping you would get to see this Star Trek parody! I love how your husband is getting the Star Trek spirit through marriage. 🙂 Have a fabulous Christmas!

2. Sounds delicious, Bernice. I love goat’s cheese. Christmas blessings for you and yours. Peace and love from Izzy.

Thank you Izzy! I hope you and your family have a fabulous Christmas! Many blessings!

3. Heather says:

I love goat cheese, will consider making this or sure… 🙂 Yes, I can’t understand how it is already Christmas Eve tomorrow??? Time just seems to disappear!

It just does not seem possible Heather. Last year we had about 8 extra days between the American Thanksgiving and Christmas. But I am now off from work for the rest of the year!! Christmas Eve day I will watch a few old Christmas movies and wrap gifts. I hope you and your family have a fabulous Christmas!!

1. Heather says:

I know…time just seems to fly by! Enjoy your time off work…hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas as well!!!

Thanks Heather! We did have a fabulous Christmas. It is nice to have some time off from work to re-energize for the new year! I hope you are enjoying your holidays.

4. Looks delicious Bernice!@

Merry Christmas to you and your family!
    Michael 🙂

Thank you Michael! I hope you and your family had a great Christmas and are enjoying the holiday season. 🙂