Ginger Snaps Cookies cover picture

It is time to try a new cookie for Christmas. This is Alton Brown’s recipe that you can find here. I really like his recipes because they are scientific-based with exact measurements. He weighs his ingredients instead of measuring for precision. We prefer our cookies to be soft instead of hard and crunchy. Most ginger snaps you purchase is hard to give you that “snap”. Alton’s recipe allows for a soft or hard cookie based upon how long you bake them. If you go to Food TV Network website, Alton provides a few tips that I did not include since they are his tips. The cookies have a nice ginger flavor but for those of you who love ginger you could add even more heat. The next time I make them I will be adding more ginger for the heat. What I like about this recipe is the three types of ginger: ground, fresh, and crystallized. For the fresh ginger I used ginger paste to save time grating a fresh ginger. I use a one to one ratio when substitute ginger paste for fresh ginger. I purchased my ginger through Amazon. You can eat the crystallized ginger and it will have some heat!

Ginger Snaps Cookies

Dry Ingredients:
9 1/2 ounces all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tbsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground clove
1/2 tsp kosher salt
7 ounces dark brown sugar

Wet Ingredients:
5 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
3 ounces molasses, by weight
1 large egg, room temperature

Ginger Ingredients:
2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger (I used ginger paste)
4 ounces finely chopped crystallized ginger

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a medium bowl mix together the dry ingredients EXCEPT for the brown sugar. In a separate bowl, place the brown sugar and butter and beat on low speed until well blended – about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the molasses, egg and fresh ginger and beat on medium for about 1 minute. Add the crystallized ginger and stir to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until well combined.

I like to line my baking sheets with parchment paper. Alton recommends using a 2-teaspoon sized scoop, to drop the dough onto the baking pan about 2-inches apart. Precision is always best when baking; but I do tend to make my cookies a bit larger. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 12 minutes for slightly chewy cookies or 15 minutes for more crisp cookies.

Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to stay on the sheet pan for 30 seconds before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

17 thoughts on “Ginger Snaps Cookies

1. juliecrombe says:

They look delicious!
    Please check out my blog and let’s follow each other!

Julie – you have a fabulous website and I look forward to your future postings!

2. I’ll definitely be trying this one. We have molasses (which is not available in the supermarket) and treacle and golden syrup. Is the molasses you use a really black coloured, thick consistency or a thinner blackish or golden colour. These are what we would normally cook with. I do have some molasses as my husband was told it was medicinally good for him so every so often he holds his nose and eats a teaspoon of the stuff. 🙂

The molasses I use is thick and dark. Here is a link to what I use. Click here. I hope this helps. 🙂

3. Good evening Bernice…
    I love Ginger Snap cookies, I make them all the time. Your recipes is almost the same as mine. They looks great!!

I love the mini Ginger Muffins that they have on the salad bar at Jason’s Deli but I can seem to find or create that recipe. I have tried numerous recipes but they are not the same. They make the best Ginger muffins!

Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. Viewing your blog looks like we have a lot in common, cooking, hiking, software developing and testing,…etc.

We had a black bear tear down my bird feeders today, he was after than sunflower seed!

Mini ginger muffins sound wonderful! That inspires me to try to make them. Though I have nothing to compare them. But it would still be fun to try. We do like to go hiking. The last few years we went to New Hampshire. The mountain air is so fresh and pure. I just love it! Are you in the tech field? We rarely get black bears around here. Though once in awhile one will find his way into the area, which is pretty scary for everyone!!

1. Let me know fi you get a really good recipe!!

Michael

I will let you know. I did find an interesting recipe that I am going to try. Will let you know in case you want to see if it is similar to the mini muffins you like.

4. Heather says:

like you I prefer my cookies soft and chewy…so cooking them for less time will allow for this…didn’t know that! Will this work with other cookies as well? Love it when I learn something new!

Heather – I wonder the same thing! I guess we will need to experiment with that bit of newly founded knowledge.

5. Cindy Green says:

Since I am not a huge sweet fan (more savoury lover), gingersnaps are my ideal cookie. These look so good I wanted to reach into the picture to try one!

They were so good – plus you can bake them to be more soft or hard with the “snap”. I like that there is three different types of ginger. I like all the layering of flavor. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas and New Years!!

6. Great with a glass of milk. Wishing you a safe and happy holiday. BAM

Thank you Bam! I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas and New Years!!!

7. Ajaytao2010 says:

I Nominate you for A Christmas Bouquet – Awards – Ajaytao – 48 Nominations
    please choose any 5 awards out of the 48
    accept it and oblige

there are no linkbacks for this award