Maple-Ginger-Roasted Vegetables with Pecans Cover Picture

Did everyone have a chance to watch the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary special today? Yes, Doctor Who turns 50! It was broadcast at the same time to at least 90 countries, with screens in more than 1,500 cinemas throughout the world. There were bars holding special parties! And if you saw the special… there is only one word to describe it….. BRILLIANT!! I will be watching it again tonight when it is aired for a second time. The days leading to the special was wonderful with all the marathon shows. For many of us sci-fi fans this is our Superbowl! Yes I am comparing Doctor Who 50th birthday celebration as a Superbowl event! I love the one special that went into the science behind the show and how much of it could actually be possible one day. It was wonderful listening to actual scientists discuss different aspects of the show. As with Star Trek, we now have technology that was not possible when the original series and the Next Generation was on tv. So never say never. But Doctor Who episodes also have warnings about how far to go with technology since it can be used for evil purposes. The show is really deep if you dig into the meanings. Below are the eleven doctors – each had a different personality and set of clothes. Some of the doctors were able to give input on their clothes – but as you can see the clothes represent the year they were on tv. I really love the current doctor – he is such a geek!

Versions_of_the_Doctor
Photo courtesy of Wikipedia – click here.

Such excitement for Doctor Who fans and sci-fi fans in general for a show that has been broadcast for almost 50-years. Doctor Who came on the airwaves in 1963. The regeneration of the doctor allowed it to continue past the first doctor who became ill in real life. It ended in 1989. But it did return and is still on tv. Click here for more information.

Click here for an article about the special.

Now on to the cooking. Here is another potential recipe for your Thanksgiving dinner – or really any time! This recipe takes about an hour to bake in the oven. I like to purchase my butternut squash already cleaned and chopped. Saves me a lot of time! As always with many of my recipes, the measurements are approximate. You may want to add more of your favorite ingredients! I was inspired to make this from a Food & Wine recipes. I did make some changes such as not roasting the pecans because I found that baking them a second time tended to burn some of them. You can reheat this dish – however, it is best right out of the oven! Click here to view the original recipe.

Topping:
1 cup pecans
1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger or dried
1/3 cup pure maple syrup

Vegetables:
3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch
1 large parsnips (1 pound), peeled and sliced 1/4 inch
1 medium head cauliflower (2 1/2 pounds), cut into 1-inch pieces
1 pound butternut squash—peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 ½ pounds small red potatoes, halved

Dressing:
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 425°. In a large bowl, toss together the vegetables with the olive oil, nutmeg, and season generously with salt and black pepper. Spread the vegetables on 2 large rimmed baking sheets and roast for 30 minutes, until the vegetables begin to brown. I like to line my baking sheets with non-stick foil for easier clean up.

Maple-Ginger-Roasted Vegetables with Pecans in oven

Scatter the pecans and ginger over the vegetables and drizzle with the maple syrup; toss well. You may want to add more maple syrup depending upon how much sweetness you would like to add to the dish. Continue to roast the vegetables for 25 minutes longer, until they are tender and golden. Transfer the vegetables into a serving bowl and serve hot or at room temperature. If you want your vegetables a bit crisper you can remove the foil near the end of cooking. I found that the baking sheets were still easy to clean.

33 thoughts on “Maple-Ginger-Roasted Vegetables with Pecans

1. This looks so amazing. I copied and it is on this weeks menu, thank you for the recipe.

Your welcome. I do hope you enjoy them!! A great side dish on these cold days!

2. Heather says:

Ok, cooking is not my thing, but this sounds soooo good…lol…may have to give it a go!!! 😉

Yes, you should try these – so good! I loved the pecans with the vegetables and then a bit of sweetness from the maple syrup.

3. foodbod says:

Beautiful beautiful vegetables ☺️ thank you

And thank you! They were fun to make and I loved the rustic look of the presentation.

4. Yes, it was brilliant! I loved it, and am enjoying all the extra Doctor Who specials that are on too. I used to love watching Doctor Who as a child, then went for some time without watching it. Then, a few years ago, I fell in love with it again and have been a loyal fan ever since.

Your maple-ginger-roasted vegetables look delicious!

They did such a wonderful job with all the shows leading up to the event. They made it a very magical time! I love this doctor 11 – he is so geeky – and vulnerable!

5. kanzensakura says:

Yes!!! I so enjoyed it. and, LOL, playing the game with the Google illustration that day.

It was a great day! I watched the special twice, have it on my DVR, and have the DVD on order for December delivery! I love all the buzz on Twitter from around the world!

1. kanzensakura says:

It is truly fun. The Sci/Fi geek community rocks.

Now Star Trek has to come through for their 50th birthday celebration!! I love the 11th doctor. He is so geeky and vulnerable. You just want to take care of him.

3. kanzensakura says:

LOL…..I know. I’m about as nurturing as a turtle, but he evoked the same response from me.

That is too funny. I am the same way. I just watched the episode: The Angels Take Manhattan. It was powerful, emotional, and sad.

6. willowdot21 says:

Definitely one for Christmas!!

I think it would look very nice as part of your Christmas dinner. You can also change some of the vegetables if you like something different.

1. willowdot21 says:

Yes I am busy looking menus up right now
        ;D

I think I finally have mine completed. Or at least it better be since I go shopping tomorrow night and won’t go to a grocery story any closer to Thanksgiving. It will just be a mad house on Tuesday and Wednesday. People seem to forget how to be civil once they enter a supermarket. At least that is how it is here.

3. willowdot21 says:

Yes is the same here! I used to work on a Customer Service Desk in a supermarket for about 14yrs ……. phew those customers!! ………….

Oh I can only imagine the drama!!

5. willowdot21 says:

He he he he he! Laughs hysterically 😉

7. This looks delicious. Must try!

Thank you! It is a great recipe that is delicious and presents nicely.

8. samokan says:

I was not able to watch Dr.Who (T_T) but the veggie looks so goood.

Thank you! It is a wonderful side dish for a dinner party or just for whenever you feel like adding a variety of vegetables to your meal.

9. I really love this recipe. Thanks so much for sharing it. 🙂

Your welcome. I really enjoyed this side dish. Simple but delicious!!

Thank you for the reblog!

Thank you so much for the reblog! I hope you and your readers enjoy the dish. 🙂