Cauliflower with Caramelized Onions and Mustard Seeds

Can you believe it is one week to Thanksgiving! I find it hard to believe it is almost here – time just goes by too quickly. It seems to go by in chunks. Speaking of time, is anyone watching the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special this weekend? In the US it is on Saturday, at 2:50PM EST on BBC America. At 2:30 there is a live pre-show on Youtube. I love how the broadcast is going to be broadcast world wide at the same time. I must admit I have not been able to follow the series in a very long time. But I am excited to watch the special since Doctor Who is turning 50! BBC America is having a week long marathon leading up to the big event! Is anyone a Doctor Who fan planning on watching the special? Here is some information from BBC America.

On to the cooking…. Here is another recipe that I tested for Thanksgiving. It came out good and was easy to make. I was inspired by Food & Wine for this recipe. Click here for the original recipe. I really loved the caramelized onions with the curry powder. You may want to add more or less of the curry powder and lemon juice based upon your own taste tests. Hopefully this recipe gets you started.

Β½ tbsp grapeseed oil
1 tbsp canola oil
1 head of cauliflower, cut into 2-inch florets
1 large sweet onion, sliced
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper
Cilantro, chopped

Preheat the oven to 450Β°. In a large pan add grapeseed oil, cauliflower, and season with salt and pepper. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Increase the oven temperature to 500Β° and bake for about 20 minutes or until the cauliflower starts to caramelize on the bottom.

While the cauliflower is baking, heat canola oil in a skillet. Add the onions and cook over medium heat, for about 20 minutes. You want them to caramelize but be careful to not burn them. Stir in the curry powder and mustard seeds and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the lemon juice and season the onions with salt and pepper.

Transfer the roasted cauliflower to a large serving bowl and spoon the onion mixture on top. Sprinkle with the chopped cilantro and enjoy.

20 thoughts on “Cauliflower with Caramelized Onions and Mustard Seeds

1. I’m on a cauliflower kick lately and this looks like something I need to try. Curry powder and mustard seeds sound like wonderful flavorings for the caramelized onions. Thank you for sharing this recipe with us. Have a lovely evening!

It was really good. My husband loves cauliflower but I don’t make it much because it is such a mess to cut the cauliflower. I have another recipe that uses cauliflower to post this weekend. It is so easy to bake it I really need to make it more often!

1. I would love to see that too. Unfortunately, I am the chief cauliflower consumer in our home. I hope to convert the rest of my guys into liking it as much as I do!

Well these recipe includes other vegetables so they could “pick” out the cauliflower. ha ha ha. At least until your boys come around. πŸ™‚

2. Barb says:

We will definitely try this. My husband has been using mustard seed a lot lately & we often use cilantro. Thanks!

That is great that you already have so many of the ingredients. It was a nice side dish!!

Thank you! πŸ™‚

3. That sounds like a very fun twist on cauliflower.

Thanks Bam! My husband really likes cauliflower so I need to find a few recipes that I can make for him.

4. Looks wonderful! Happy Thanksgiving!

Thank you! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

5. Heather says:

sounds delicious…if i ever came into money I think I higher a cook πŸ˜‰ …not my favorite thing to do but this sounds awesome!

I want one of those food replicators from Star Trek. So I can cook when I want to but when I am pressed for time I can go to my food replicator. πŸ™‚ Because even though I do enjoy cooking, time always seems to be against me.

1. Heather says:

lol…that is a good idea, didn’t think of that…I’ll have one of those too!!! πŸ˜‰

Yes…. I watch too much sci-fi. πŸ™‚

6. kanzensakura says:

Yum!!!!!! You are officially invited to my house for Turkey day…

ha ha ha – I am still planning my menu… and I better get it finalized since I will be grocery shopping on Monday.