Stuffed Baked Sweet Potatoes
I remember as a child I never liked sweet potatoes. Odd since children typically like anything that is sweet. But the traditional sweet potatoes with a ton of brown sugar and then a layer of marshmallows was just too sweet for me. It has only been in recent years that I have come to love and appreciate them. This is a great Thanksgiving dish because you can make these earlier in the day or the day before. Just reheat your sweet potatoes mixture in the microwave, spoon into their jackets, and place in the oven for about 10-minutes. Remember that yams are sweeter than sweet potatoes so be careful to not add too much brown sugar. By roasting the sweet potatoes or yams, you release the natural flavors and only need a little of the ingredients to enhance the flavor. To make a “traditional” twice-baked potatoes you can add some cheddar cheese as a topping. This really is optional because this dish does not need any cheese. I really loved how this recipe came out. I used yams since they are easier to find than sweet potatoes. This dish has made the cut and will be part of the final Thanksgiving menu! I will be sure to make extras for left overs.

2 large sweet potatoes or yams
1/8-cup half-and-half
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp brown sugar, packed
Cheddar Cheese, topping, optional
Chives, topping, optional

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wash, dry, and pierce sweet potatoes with a fork and place on a heavy cookie sheet. I like to line mine with aluminum foil for easier clean up. Bake about an hour or until tender. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Let the sweet potatoes cool for a few minutes. Cut each sweet potatoe lengthwise. Scoop out centers, leaving about 1/8-inch thick shell. If some areas get too thin you can fix it by spreading a little of the sweet potatoe from another area. It is soft so you can smooth out any thin areas. In medium bowl, mash the sweet potatoes. Add milk, butter and brown sugar; beat until smooth. Spoon mixture back into their jackets. Place jackets on a large shallow baking pan. Top each potato with the cheese. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes or until heated through. Garnish with chives.

10 thoughts on “Stuffed Baked Sweet Potatoes

1. Espirational says:

Love sweet potatoes! Will have to try this.

I really loved this recipe! Simple but packed with flavor. I hope you enjoy it!

2. Heather says:

sounds good…I like my sweet potatoes with butter and a sprinkling of brown sugar, but the cheese sounds good!

The cheese did add an interesting dimension as I just sprinkled it on top. So you had to break through it to get to the sweet potatoes.

3. Yes, I agree! The traditional sweet potatoes with brown sugar and marshmallows were always too sweet for me too! Love your recipe.

Thanks. It was really easy to make and so tasty! I will be making it for Thanksgiving.

4. scott2608 says:

Sounds like a winner for Thanksgiving dinner!

They were really good! I can’t wait to have them again. Plus so easy to make.