Mt Washington Weather 1
The top of Mt. Washington has earned the title “Home of the World’s Worst Weather”. I have been on top of that mountain when it was clear and you could see for miles. Then I have been on top of that mountain where visibility is about 50-feet and the winds are so strong you can barely walk. As the cover picture documents, the highest winds recorded was on top of this mountain. As you can see the buildings are chained down and in the winter the chains are frozen. They have a 24-hour observatory that is manned by a two-person crew for an eight-day shift. The temperatures can go as low as -40 degree F and winds over 100 miles per hour. Because visibility can be so poor the workers need to be careful when they venture outside because they can get disoriented. They have had snow on July 4th when most of us are enjoying warm, picnic temperatures. If you live in that area you can volunteer to help the team! Refer to their website for more information about the observatory if you are interested in weather. This is the website where I got my information for this posting. Click here for more interesting information. Even if you are not a “weather” person you may still find the information interesting as it is unique weather.

Mt Washington Weather 3

Mt Washington Weather 2
Mt Washington Weather 4

Don’t forget to view part 1, part 2, and part 3 for more stories and pictures about Mt. Washington.

10 thoughts on “Mt. Washington New Hampshire: Weather Conditions

1. Heather says:

wow…winds that strong must be terrifying to experience! crazy…what are the windows made from???

Last year the winds were so strong I could barely walk. But living in the North I am used to those strong winter winds. But I would not want to experience them at their strongest. Good question about the windows. We are not really sure. They look fairly thick and perhaps inset. Not sure if there is an outer cage to protect them or if they are made from special shatter proof material. Plus the buildings freeze over in the winter – I might do about posting with winter pictures.

1. Heather says:

we get some very strong winds here as well, especially off Lake Nipissing, but nothing like that…the windows did concern me…but then who ever built the structure would have ensured the glass would hold up…I don’t know enough about glass to know how. I think a post this winter would be great…I’d enjoy seeing it!

I can only imagine what was taken into consideration in constructing those buildings to with-hold such extreme weather!

2. I don’t think I’ve ever been in minus 40 degree weather and big winds Wow! I’d love to see it, but on one of the clear days for the view. I bet it’s beautiful!

I would say -10 with windchill is the coldest I ever experienced. It is darn cold – -40 you could literally freeze – especially if there are high winds!

3. cindy knoke says:

WOW!
    Love New Hampshire! My step-father was a prof at UNH and my parents lived there for many years.

We have been there three times on vacation and we just love it there! Nothing like mountain air – so fresh and pure. I am immediately relaxed when I am there.

4. Ingrid says:

Wow….chaining down a building – that’s a new one for me. I guess I won’t complain about the winds in the west after reading this post. Extreme weather for sure!

Yes, that is true! I can’t even imagine winds that strong!