Tip Top House 2
The Tip Top House is always fun to tour when your are on top of Mt. Washington. For you history fans, it is the oldest surviving building on top of the mountain. It was restored in 1987 and is open for tours but not as a hotel. The stone hotel was built in 1853 as a place for hikers to sleep. A hotel (made of wood) was built on top of the mountain but it burned down in the early 1900’s. Considering the extreme weather conditions I really cannot imagine how they transported the material and built it without our modern technology.

Tip Top House 1

It is a rustic hotel with tight quarters – but if you just need somewhere to sleep it would meet that basic need.

Tip Top House Inside 10

Tip Top House Inside 9

Tip Top House Inside 8

Tip Top House Inside 7

Tip Top House Inside 6

Tip Top House Inside 5

Tip Top House Inside 4

Tip Top House Inside 3

Tip Top House Inside 2

Tip Top House Inside 1

Don’t forget to view part 1 and part 2 for more stories and pictures about Mt. Washington.

8 thoughts on “Mt. Washington New Hampshire: Tip Top House

1. Sheryl says:

This series of posts brings back memories of when we took the cog railroad up Mt. Washington years ago. It was before the Tip Top House was restored.

I am glad the virtual vacation is bringing back good memories! The Tip Top House is really interesting and gets you out of the bitter cold for a few minutes. 🙂

2. Sophie33 says:

Thanks so much for showing us this!!!! Lovely to take a peek! X

Your welcome! I love historic buildings.

3. I love visiting historic buildings. Those were some tight sleeping quarters, indeed!

I do too! Yes, I could never sleep there – I cannot be enclosed like that.

4. yagsyjah says:

Fantastic pictures! Those beds look really small – I don’t think a tall person could fit comfortably.

Thanks! Yes, agreed. They were terribly small and claustrophobic!! It was dark inside – luckily the flash worked really well to lighten up the pictures!