Old Man Of the Mountain 18

The beloved Old Man of the Mountain formation collapsed on May 3, 2003 between midnight and 2am. People left flowers at the base in tribute. Unfortunately we never got to see the Old Man Of the Mountain. While in New Hampshire I read a pamphlet that said it was opened – we were a bit confused. Not sure of what to expected we ventured out to the site that ended up being a wonderful memorial created by Friends of the Old Man of the Mountain. Also refer to the following links for more information on this beautiful piece of history. Click here and here.
Old Man Of the Mountain 2

You might be wondering what happened to make this rock formation collapse. The cause is due to freezing and thawing resulting in structural damage that weakened the rock formation over many decades. In the 1920’s the crack in the forehead was large enough for it to be mended with chains. In 1957 $25,000 was allocated for further repairs. Over the years different people have been in charge in maintaining this historical site. We had to wonder if perhaps people tried to over-engineer the fixes. I guess we will never know!
Old Man Of the Mountain 4

Old Man Of the Mountain 5

Plus of course this historical site had many visitors!
Old Man Of the Mountain 15
Old Man Of the Mountain 17

Old Man Of the Mountain 16

In 1955 a U.S. stamp was issued with Old Man of the Mountain on the stamp. The below pictures from the memorial plaza shows how you can view the Old Man through a special viewer to see how the Old Man looked. It is a nice plaza with memorial stones, benches, and a beautiful lake.

Old Man Of the Mountain dedication sign
Old Man Of the Mountain cover

Below are pictures I took from a sign showing how the Old Man collapsed. It was a sunny afternoon so it was hard to get good pictures.
Old Man Of the Mountain 7
Old Man Of the Mountain 8
Old Man Of the Mountain 9

The Old Man was famous largely because of statesman Daniel Webster, a New Hampshire native, who once wrote: “Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.”
Old Man Of the Mountain 14
There was also a beautiful lake called “Profile Lake” that has a rich history. It was a peaceful place.
Old Man Of the Mountain 10
Old Man Of the Mountain 11

Old Man Of the Mountain 6

Old Man Of the Mountain 3
Old Man Of the Mountain 12
Old Man Of the Mountain 13

8 thoughts on “Old Man Of the Mountain Profile Plaza – New Hampshire

1. willowdot21 says:

Great post, fantastic photos and so much amazing information. 😉 xx

Glad you enjoyed it! It was meant to be a quick stop that was much more than we expected.

2. prayingforoneday says:

Please accept this award.
    If you don’t accept awards, please give to a friend who does.

Thank you Shaun. I will be formally accepting the award this week. 🙂

3. petunia106 says:

What a great post, thanks for writing and sharing! I knew the Old Man On the Mountain had collapsed but I didn’t realize it was 10 years ago! Great photos as well!
    Betsy

Thank you for stopping! It was a great experience and an amazing piece of history lost – but yet reclaimed through this wonderful group. 🙂

4. Jocellyn says:

I used to live in New Hampshire (in Lyman, to be exact, and went to boarding school in Bethlehem.)
    On trips to Boston I remember being a little girl and craning my neck out the car window to catch the Old Man. It was a sad (and I bet very, very, very loud) day when he came down.

Thank you for sharing that story about the old man. I could just imagine a child looking out the window at such a grand sight! I wish I could have saw him but I am glad there is a park dedicated to him.