The flume cover

Our first day in Franconia Notch, started at the Flume Gorge. It is in a state park with a lot of interesting smaller waterfalls, rock formations, covered bridges, and other natural attractions to view. We actually made the hike a bit more difficult by ignoring the sign indicating the path to the Flume to follow another map which took us the back way into the Flume Gorge which ended up being a more difficult climb. My advice – stick to the trail signs! You can take a self-guided tour which they indicate takes 1 1/4 hours but it will be longer since you will stop to view the beautiful scenery. Another option is to take the bus to the flume gorge but you will still need to walk up a lot of winding stairs to view the gorge. If you have health problems you may not want to visit the Flume Gorge. This is not a simple walk around flowing water. We spent a couple of hours and enjoyed every minute – except for the more difficult hike we took. Luckily they have a cafeteria and when we were done with our tour we had our lunch there. It is a beautiful place to visit. There is a small charge, which is worth the money. As with many state parks, NH does not provide funding and they need to find ways to raise revenue.

The flume Gorge 1

The flume Gorge2

The flume Gorge3
The flume Gorge 5

The flume Gorge 4
I love how these trees started as a seed and grew over a boulder!
The flume Gorge tree around boulder 5

The flume Gorge tree around boulder 4

The flume Gorge tree around boulder 3

The flume Gorge tree around boulder 2

The flume Gorge tree around boulder 1
What a beautiful view!
The flume Gorge View 1

The flume Gorge View 2

The flume Gorge View 3

A beautiful old bridge and gorgeous waterfall!

The Flume Gorge - Bridge 6

The Flume Gorge - Bridge 5

The Flume Gorge - Bridge 4

The Flume Gorge - Bridge 3

The Flume Gorge - Bridge 2

The Flume Gorge - Bridge 1
The Flume Gorge - Bridge 7
The Flume Gorge walk way 1

12 thoughts on “NH Hiking Trip: The Flume Gorge – Part 1

1. I live tucked into the Cascade Mountains so of course I loved your photos and found the video to be sensational.

Thank you so much! I do have more videos to post from The Flume Gorge. My favorites are still to be posted. I would love to live in the mountains – such fresh air – so clean!

2. willowdot21 says:

amazing photos, I know I keep saying this but it is true!

Thanks – I really do appreciate it! And there are a lot more to come from our trip to New Hampshire. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Just love your photos, Bernice. You have an eye. Thanks. -Paul

Thank you so much for letting me know. ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Capt Jill says:

You have some very nice pictures of NH! I’ve been wanting to visit for a while now. Planning to move there at some point (Free State Project). Now I know where I need to go on vacation ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and liking my photos of the corals, sea urchin,etc.

Thanks… it is such a beautiful place. So much to do. I just love it there!

1. Capt Jill says:

It looks gorgeous in your photos. ๐Ÿ™‚

It is a great area to visit. The Flume was just a wonderful experience with so much to see.