Beaver June 15 1

Greg and I decided to go play disc golf this morning and with all the rain we had lately it became a bit more challenging! First we started with a great breakfast at Altons. I had my favorite – Feta Omelet. Then we went to Ellicott Creek since it is a technical course plus some great restaurants for lunch afterwards. (As you know, food is always important in these outings). They do not have cement t-pads instead they are dirt. With all the rain the first t-pad was a small river with nowhere to shoot from. Plus the grassy areas had large ponds. Basically the first half of the first fairway was under water. It did not look like a great idea to proceed with playing. So then we went to Beaver State Park, which is along the Niagara River, and they have concrete t-pads. It is more of a wide-open course with longer fairways and a bit of wind from the river. It takes longer to play than Ellicott Creek. We started off with good drives and scores on the first hole. At the second hold I had a decent drive. Then my disc landed with a big splash – and there should be no splashing in disc golf when you hit the ground. My poor disc landed in a huge pond of water. Luckily my husband went and got it for me. At one hole, I had one foot in a small pond of water, my disc and my hand was wet! Luckily I made the putt! The below pictures will not do it justice to show the ponds of water. Right off the one t-pad was a huge lake! Obviously I can throw farther than that but it makes you wonder what you might land in!

Beaver June 15 4

Beaver June 15 11

The last hole was extremely muddy with what appeared to be a lake surrounding the basket. I was right on the edge of the water to make my throw to the basket. Then I found myself sliding in some mud – but likely did not fall. My disc landed at the edge of the large lake. I carefully made my way to my disc, as there was water and mud everywhere. I got to my disc but there was nowhere to place my bag. So with my heavy bag slung over my shoulder I attempted my putt… and luckily made it!

Beaver June 15 7

Beaver June 15 6

Beaver June 15 9

Beaver June 15 8

This is a hard course for me. The fairways are long and the wind can take your discs in unexpected directions. The below hole is tricky. It is a narrow fairway with the river on the one side and then you need to get around a bend of brush to actually find the basket. It is great when you finally see the basket and when you don’t land your disc in the brush or the water.

Beaver June 15 3

The below picture is another great view at Beaver!
Beaver June 15 5

Last year I had a 107 and 104 playing Beaver. Today I got a 93! In disc golf there are three starting points to help you manage how far you need to throw. There is a pro t-pad, which of course is the furthest, white and then red. The reds are designed for beginners. I throw from the white with my husband but I do not have his distance. I am working on my drives with a goal of only throwing the disc twice to reach his initial drive. If I can keep working on my distance throws and tighten up my short game I can start shaving off more points. As a comparison my husband’s average at this course is 70 so my 93 is not too bad for 18-holes! Beaver added more out of bounds markers – like the one below. Kind of ridiculous since some of these shots are hard enough! So as you see in the below picture if you overthrow too much you are out of bounds and get a penalty stroke.

Beaver June 15 2

Beaver June 15 10

Here are the links to my other Disc Golf postings.
Disc Golf, Fall & Leaves!
2012 Rochester 38th Annual Flying Disc Golf Open
Do you want to know more about Disc Golf? Read part 1 for my personal journey
Do you want to know more about Disc Golf? Read part 2 to visit Chili and Parma professional disc golf courses
My First Round of Disc Golf Round for 2013!

19 thoughts on “Playing Disc Golf After Days of Heavy Rain!

1. prayingforoneday says:

Please accept and READ about this award.
    Shaun

Thank you Shaun for such a wonderful award!

1. prayingforoneday says:

Thank you for accepting..
        Sorry for not dropping into your blog for a while, pain and busy…at not at the PC as much. Weather here way into the 80’s…..
        …I am burnt 🙂

I love weather into the 80’s but you do need a hat and sunscreen. Hope your sunburn gets better soon! That is no fun. 😦

3. prayingforoneday says:

I have an almost skinhead also, so my head has it to 🙂
        We take this weather if and when it comes. This has been the hottest summer for a decade or so…

Yes, I can imagine. A lot of men in the US shave their heads so I can imagine the hot sun pounding down is not good!

5. prayingforoneday says:

Yeah I have a hot head just now 🙂
        But my arms and legs are just “DON’T TOUCH ME” lol
        I cooked dinner earlier, opened the Oven and the heat about killed me as it hit my arms and legs…

I should have put cream on, I was warned! lol

I have been there and it is no fun to have a sunburn! And yes opening an oven would not be good. Your skin is so extra-sensitive to everything. And it is so darn easy to get a sunburn. Sometimes you forget to put on sunscreen or you think you won’t be outside long so you will not get burned. Or the sun is just beating down on you and bypasses any sunscreen! 🙂

7. prayingforoneday says:

Yeah….lol
        You are talking to an Idiot right here.. lol

x

Well take it easy! 🙂

9. prayingforoneday says:

I do try. Dawn just turns me the way I need to face and all is well again in my life 🙂

lol
        Hope you are well. And enjoy the Weekend

ha ha ha – that is great! Dawn sounds like a nice person! Have a great weekend too! 🙂

11. prayingforoneday says:

I will try.
        The heat is still melting me.
        It is RELENTLESS here…
        Several days of heat in the 80’s
        1st time we had this for 20 years?

I moan when its cold.
        I moan when its snowing
        I moan when its hot
        I moan when its mild
        I moan when its overcast
        I moan when its windy

In-fact, we all do here.
        In reality, it just rains, we are getting a decent Summer. Something is up,I can feel it

🙂
        Enjoy your weekend

ha ha ha. Last summer was very dry with little rain. This year is more normal. I love it in the 80’s though we only get that for a couple of months, and then I get tired of it and am ready for fall! Today it is in the mid 70’s. It is dry outside so should be a good day for disc golf. We complain here too. Complain when it snowing too much, then it is too hot, ha ha ha. 🙂

13. prayingforoneday says:

ha ha I know 🙂
        it is 22:22 here late at night and it is 69F
        So a hot night..
        But it is true. we complain no mater..

Hope you enjoying your weekend Bernice x

Thanks Shaun!! 🙂

15. prayingforoneday says:

Xx

2. Well you sure did get alot of rain…that makes the course even a little more of a challenge♥ I finally went and tried this sport like I told you I would. Posted on it today…you can’t even believe the condition this course was in…sigh.

Some courses are better maintained than others. In New York the state parks where you pay a small fee tend to be nice. The county parks can be a bit more rough. The courses were they hold the PDGA tournaments and are nice courses. I will have to check out your posting!