Tropical Getaway Cake Final Picture

Of course I had to go back to the theatre to see Star Trek Into Darkness 3D for a second time since there is always so much to take in that you need to watch it multiple times. And of course we watched the Star Trek 2009 movie a few times, which is excellent for its story theme where we learn more about the cadets. Into Darkness does not disappoint and there is much buzz about it. Including a 2016 movie to celebrate Star Trek’s 50th anniversary and whether JJ Abrams will be the director! JJ is to direct Star Wars Episode VII which is scheduled to open in 2015. However, JJ is open to another Star Trek film but of course there are a lot of unknowns right now. But fingers are crossed that JJ remains the director!

One thing I really noticed this time was the film score – which really makes a movie. In watching a recent Brain Games episode, they demonstrated how a scene can dramatically change based upon the music. You have a setting where someone is jogging and it is a peaceful scene. Then change the music and all of sudden there is dread and danger lurking around every corner. The film score to the Star Trek 2009 and Into Darkness is just fabulous. The music is complex in nature and hits the right movements at the right time. Sometimes I think the film score does not receive its proper credit. In the film score wiki it is also called as background or incidental music. Perhaps that is true for some movies but for Star Trek I believe the score is brilliant and is equally important to all other aspects of the movie production.

If you saw the 2009 or Into Darkness movie, let me know what you thought of them. You can read my other postings on Star Trek here and here.

Now on to the cooking!
I was inspired from Stephanie Ashcraft book “101 Things: To Do With a Cake Mix”. Click here to get a copy of this book. As usual I made my own personal touches as I am sure you will also do. The cake and glaze can be made ahead of time. I glazed the cake close to serving and the topping is quick to make while putting the final touches on the cake. It keeps well completely assembled for a couple of days. It is a light cake so feel free to give those larger servings.

Cake:

Topping:
2 – 4 sliced bananas
1 cup skim milk
1 small box instant sugar-free vanilla pudding mix
8 ounces whipped topping, fat-free sugar-free
Kiwi, sliced

Preheat oven to 350°. Mix together cake mix, eggs, oil, applesauce and oranges till smooth. Pour into a greased 9 X 13 pan. Bake 30-35 minutes, or till golden brown. Cool completely.

Tropical Getaway Cake Ingredients
Tropical Getaway Cake Before Going into the Oven
Tropical Getaway Cake out of oven

Prepare glaze by mixing pineapple with juice, cornstarch, and sugar in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly till thick and clear. Pour over cake.

Tropical Getaway Cake glaze 1
Tropical Getaway Cake glaze 2
Tropical Getaway Cake glaze on cake

Right before serving, place sliced bananas on top of pineapple layer. Blend pudding mix and milk with wire whisk. Fold in whipped topping. Spread over cake. Add sliced kiwi fruit to the top of the cake or your favorite tropical fruit.

Tropical Getaway Cake add bananas
Tropical Getaway Cake icing and kiwi
Tropical Getaway Cake close up

14 thoughts on “Tropical Getaway Cake & Into Darkness 3D for the second time!

1. willowdot21 says:

OH! I want some!!

It was really yummy!!

2. kanzensakura says:

oh my yum yum! I needed a big plastic container of this cake to sneak into Into Darkness…that would have made an incredible experience kicked up to extraordinary experience. Love the movie. Of course, going again. Geeks rule.

The Tropical Getaway Cake is awesome! Into Darkness is fabulous! It is always great when geeks/nerds win. I don’t know if you watch Survivor but the season that just ended a very nerdy/geeky kid won and I was thrilled!!

1. kanzensakura says:

I have never watched the show. But right now, I am watching again, Heroes, starting with Season 1. On the second watching (I was a huge fan), I am finding more on the second run than the first. We are all of us special – even us geeky/nerds, or as the Japanese say, otaku

Yes, I do agree. For a long time geeks/nerds got a bad rap so I love to see them win. All odds were against him and he beat the big, beautiful guys. 🙂

3. Hello Bernice
    I wanted you to have this, you are so deserving of this. ….

Thanks a lot Clarissa for the One Lovely Blog Award. 🙂

1. You are so welcome Bernice!!!:)

4. ViRo says:

I completely agree about the film score for Star Trek: Into Darkness. I didn’t notice it per se on my first viewing, but during my second viewing it really popped out for me. Great music that fits so well with the original TV theme.

If you’re going back through TOS, I’m doing the same – check out my dorky episode recaps (hot4spock.wordpress.com)

I will definitely check out your blog when I have more time. I love anything Star Trek and I just love Spock!! Do you like the “young” spock? I know some feel he shows too much emotion. Any thoughts?