Fish Italiano final picture

Last night we went to see the sci fi movie Oblivion with Tom Cruise. I love a good sci fi movie so I was interested in seeing it at the theatre on the wide-screen. It was a good movie but I have to say it had a weak plot. Many of you may want to see the movie so I will not say too much. While watching the movie it reminded me a lot of The Matrix and there was an element of the Stepford Wives (some of you may know what I mean by that statement). Plus a certain scene was classic Star Trek. I am sure that scene near the end of the movie is in one of the original Star Trek shows – though not nearly as impressive since it was 1960’s technology. Star Trek into Darkness is opening May 17th and I am looking forward to seeing this movie. Of course since Kirk and Spock roles are being played by different actors I had to get past that change and other changes they introduced in the 2009 movie.

Of course the argument could be made that many sci fi movies steal elements from other movies and may not be original. For me it is the depth and how they develop the plot to make you think. I like walking away from a movie that challenges me where I need to conduct more research and watch it again to bring together the pieces. Oblivion was a good movie but it did not challenge me. Whereas The Matrix did. You left the theatre with wanting to immediately rewatch the movie! If you go to watch the movie, let me know your thoughts. It is not a bad sci fi movie – it just does not have a lot of depth. It has some nice futuristic touches to it and action scenes.

Now on to the cooking. Greg and I eat a lot of tilapia fish – it is a nice mild fish and is quick to make for dinner after work. I had some left over ingredients from other dinners and made the below recipe. Sometimes I might eliminate the sweet onion or red pepper if we do not have any. I might add seasoned bread crumbs for a little crunch.

2 Tilapia Fish – coated in olive oil, salt and pepper (or any mild fish)
Seasoned Salt and Pepper
1 Large Fresh Tomato, diced
2 – 4 tbsp Dry White Wine or Chicken Stock
1 – 2 Garlic Cloves, diced
1 – 2 tbsp Sweet Onion, diced
1 – 2 tbsp Red or Green Pepper, diced
Fresh Basil, chopped
Fresh Parmesan Cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a baking pan. Add Tilapia and top with season salt and pepper. Add sweet onion, garlic cloves, basil, peppers, tomatoes. Add any additional seasoning. Pour 1 – 2 tbsp of dry white wine over each fish and top with Parmesan cheese.

Fish Italiano Before placing into the oven

Cover with foil, Bake 15-minutes or until cooked through when fish is flaky.

Fish Italiano after taking out of the oven

Plate it and consider adding more Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.

Fish Italiano Plated - 1
Fish Italiano - Plated 2
Fish Italiano - Plated 3

If you enjoy Tilapia fish, my other recipes include:

Blackened Smoked Tilapia

Baked Parmesan Tilapia

Baked Tilapia with White Wine Sauce and Asian Twist

Tilapia with a White Wine Sauce and Capers

Tilapia with a Creamy Chili Sauce

15 thoughts on “Tilapia Fish with a Chunky Italian Sauce

1. willowdot21 says:

Once I find the Tilapia Fish I am going to t ry that dish!! Went out today with the family for an early Birthday lunch for my husband. I had a typical roast beef and yorkshire pud not something I have too often, it was lovely!!

Happy Birthday to your husband!! The lunch sounds wonderful!! If you cannot find Tilapia, any mild fish will do. I tend to dice my tomatos large but you could dice them smaller. And red onion instead of a sweet onion would also be good. 🙂

2. samokan says:

That looks so good 🙂

3. sjerickson says:

Perfect timing! I needed a new Tilapia recipe. Can’t wait to try it. Thank you!

That is great – I hope you enjoy it! Plus you could use red onions or scallions instead of sweet onions. So many opportunities!!

4. This really sounds delicious!!
    Kenley

Thank you! It is one of those great go-to recipes as you can remove or add ingredients based upon what you have in the house. 🙂

5. what a refreshing tilapia dish…
    from the pict, i though it was steamed…

How interesting… I never steamed fish…

Thanks for the mention on your blog. 🙂 🙂

6. I probably eat tilapia three times a month (comes with an economical food share program.) thanx for the recipe.

Your welcome! We eat Tilapia alot. It is quick to make when I am tired after work. I am always looking for new ideas for Tilapia.