Scallop Potatoes single serving final picture

I love scalloped potatoes but not all the calories and fat. Previously I made a wonderful Mini Smoky Scalloped Potatoes for Thanksgiving. This recipe is more of the traditional approach but with removing some of the calories but retaining the flavor. I like to use butter potatoes because they have a buttery taste adding more flavor to this dish plus the skin is very tender so I do not peel them. I use skim milk plus freshly grated nutmeg and sweet onions adding more flavors. Of course you need to add some cheese and I like to use extra sharp cheddar cheese. This makes about 6 servings, which should help you determine how much cheese to add.

Tonight and tomorrow I am attending Just Joy! Ministries Spring Women’s Conference which is a conference I always enjoy. It is an uplifting experience and a time for spiritual and mental renewal. I have today off so I can get the typical weekend things done today and hopefully get in a workout since I will be sitting tonight and a good part of tomorrow! I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend – I will blog maybe on Sunday about the conference.

Now to the cooking:
2 tbsp Butter, melted
3 tbsp Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp pepper
About 3 to 5 ounces Shredded Extra Sharp Cheddar
Butter potatoes, sliced thin about 2 pounds
1 medium Sweet Onion, sliced thinly
1 ½ to 2 cup Fat Free Milk
1/2 tsp freshly Grated Nutmeg
Chives – for topping

In a small nonstick skillet, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.

Scallop Potatoes milk mixture

Remove from the heat; stir in cheese (reserving a small amount for the topping) and nutmeg until blended.

Scallop Potatoes milk mixture with cheese and spices

Place half of the potatoes in a 1-1/2 or 2-qt. baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Layer with half of the potatoes, onion and cheese sauce. Repeat layers.

Scallop Potatoes first layer no milk cheese mixture
Scallop Potatoes first layer with cheese mixture
Scallop Potatoes final layer

Cover and bake at 400° for 45 minutes or until tender. Uncover and add the remaining cheese and bake 5 minutes longer until cheese is melted.

Scallop Potatoes out of the oven

29 thoughts on “Lower-Fat Scalloped Potatoes

1. Stephanie says:

Looks awesome! I too love scalloped potatoes, but haven’t had any in soooo long as I no longer buy those sorts of boxed sides. This I can totally make on my own!

I am with you. I do not buy those “boxed” side dishes. I like to control what ingredients I use including how much cheese and what type of cheese.

2. Stephanie says:

I too love scalloped potatoes but quit buying those kinds of boxed side dishes, so it’s been a looong time since I’ve had it. This looks very yummy and easy to make, and you can’t go wrong with butter potatoes!

A bit envious of what sounds like a nice weekend away. Hope you enjoy it!

1. Stephanie says:

Sorry for the double reply – my phone wasn’t showing up the first one.

No problem. That happens to me too. Or it sends the same reply twice!!

Yes, I am looking forward to the women’s conference and time with girlfriends… working in the tech field your days are filled mostly with men…

1. Stephanie says:

I work in the construction field – it’s ALL men! We call the crew my stepsons lol

Well then you know exactly what I mean! The women’s conference was great. I took a ton of pictures that I will share on Sunday.

3. Mr. Fed Up says:

Looks tasty…but I might try it with sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are such a good option when you don’t have much time to cook!

Yes, sweet potatoes are awesome! I make them as a casserole and sometimes just bake or microwave them – then slice and add some spices…. sometimes less is better. 🙂

1. Mr. Fed Up says:

YES! simplicity can often be the just the prefect bite…I used to make overly complicated sandwiches…now this is what I go for:

The sandwich looks really good! Sometimes all you need is a few good ingredients.

4. My stomach literally did a flip when I saw this picture♥

Thanks… they were really good. They warmed over nicely.. sad they are all gone….

5. Sloan says:

Yum! I’m not much of a cook, but this looks like it’s definitely worth giving my best shot! Thank you & have a wonderful weekend! S

Your welcome – I hope you enjoy it!

6. cindy knoke says:

Looks divine Bernice!

7. Looks delicious and love your addition of nutmeg and onions. I am glad however I am not the one that has to clean the pan with all of that delicious cheese—soaking is the way for pans like that.

I think the sweet onions really made the dish! And yes I hate difficult to clean pans. But soak it a bit and put in the dishwasher on a heavy scrub cycle and it comes out clean!

8. Sheryl says:

The potatoes look delicious. It’s interesting how people in different regions call foods by different names. If the dish contains cheese like your recipe–I’d call it Au Gratin potatoes. If it was made just using a white sauce, I’d call it Scalloped Potatoes.

Yes, it seems like recipes are crossing over now days. I have also heard the term au gratin if you add the cheddar cheese. They were really good even though I did not add as much cheese as some recipes.

9. Wow, this looks amazing! I’d love these with a grilled steak and so would my husband. A little fresh grated nutmeg into the sauce is a wonderful addition.

Sounds like a nice pairing with grilled steak! I love that you can add as much or as little cheese as you want. Plus the fresh nutmeg was nice. I did not feel like I was taking in too many calories either. 🙂

Thank you! They were really good and they warmed over nicely!