Roasted Red Pepper Hummus final picture with carrots, tortilla chips, and pretzils

I am going through Hummus at an alarming rate as part of my Wegmans Eat Well Live Well Challenge. Hummus is made from chic peas so it counts as a vegetable. The first week has ended and the challenge is going well. My goal for daily steps is 7,000 and number of cups of vegetables & fruits is 4. My first week average number of steps was 8,783 and average number of cups 5.6. I picked my goals based upon actual numbers at the time of starting the challenge. I typically eat 1 1/2 – 2 cups of vegetables and fruit a day. As the winter progresses I find I move less and less! On an average day I may have 3,500 – 4,000 steps. This challenge is a great motivator for me!

This is my first time making hummus because I wanted to compare it to store bought. I am sure you can guess that there is no comparison. To make it easier I used canned chic peas and red roasted peppers from Wegmans. The flavors are just wonderful! The curry powder and ground coriander really sets this hummus apart from the store bought version. If you do not normally use these spices you might want to add half of them so you can taste the hummus before deciding if you want to add more.

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus on a organic blue tortilla chip

This is the first time I am using Tahini, which is ground sesame seeds. I bought Krinos Tahini and they indicate it is a thick paste made from crushed sesame seeds. It is high in protein with 2 tbsp providing 9 grams. It can be used as a base for appetizers and toppings in soups and salads. It has no preservatives or artificial ingredients. I have a large jar of it so I will be experimenting with other dressings to ensure it does not go to waste. So look for future postings on using Tahini!

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus organic chips in the hummus

2 large Sweet Red Pepper, roasted
2 cans (15 ounces each) Garbanzo Beans or Chickpeas
1/3 cup Lemon Juice
3 tbsp Tahini
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 – 2 large Garlic Cloves, peeled and cut in half
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Curry Powder
1/2 tsp Ground Coriander
1/4 tsp Pepper

Serve with pita bread, whole wheat crackers, chips, or vegetables. Be creative!

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus ingredients

Rinse and drain the chickpeas or garbanzo beans. I purchase my red pepper already roasted. If you roast the peppers you will need to remove the stems and seeds. Place the peppers in a food processor. Before adding the tahini make sure to stir it to ensure the oils are mixed into the ground sesame seed paste. Add the chic peas, lemon juice, tahini, oil, garlic and seasonings.

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus ingredients in food processor

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus ingredients in food processor 2

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus in food processor 3

Cover and process until smooth.

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus finished and smooth in food processor

I like to serve with baby carrots because it is a fabulous, healthy snack and a great way to get in a few servings of vegetables. I love organic blue corn tortilla chips and dipping in hummus is a fun snack. Consider substituting those high-fat dips that you use with chips and pretzels with hummus! It is a great way to sneak in a vegetable!

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus last picture of the posting

20 thoughts on “Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

1. Great job on your challenge. I love hummus and this one is so pretty with the red peppers and spices. I also want to get a good food processor, as the one I bought in HK is absolutely worthless. Take a wild guess where it was made…. LOL

That is funny about the food processor. Greg got me this one for Christmas and it is really heavy duty. I added a little extra red peppers to my hummus – just delish!

2. Wonderful recipe! We love hummus and it’s something I’ve made for my boys since they were tiny. I’ve found the only creamy hummus that is in the market is Sabra brand. But, making your own is so much better. You can customize the flavor like you’ve done here with the roasted red peppers. I bet it was good!

Yes, it is hard to find a good brand of hummus that is creamy. I am really enjoying the homemade version – the red peppers have such a fresh taste. Much more prominent than in the store bought. Of course I did put a lot of red peppers in the mixture! So good. 🙂

3. I really need to start making my own hummus. I could probably be saving a ton of money! I just need to pick up a bottle of tahini.

I love how you added pretzels in your picture. What a great idea to dip with hummus!
    -JulieC

A friend just told me that she uses hummus instead of blue cheese for her chicken tenders. So there are a lot of options! You can also make them from the chic peas where you need to soak them over night and I believe then cook them. That was a bit too much work for me. 🙂

4. LizzieJoy says:

Thank you, Bernice, my friend. Your recipes are always tantalising to the taste buds. I like the idea of curry in the hummus too. Something new to try. Bless you.

Thank you Lizzie for your kind words! The curry does add another dimension to the hummus.

5. I’m real picky when it comes to Hummus, but yours looks soo ooooooooo dang delish! Awesome job!

Thanks – it is really good. I am looking forward to experimenting with other ingredients!

6. This looks wonderful°! I love hummus and have made it many times, but just the regular version, i must try this!! Here is thelink to my recipe for Authentic Middle Eastern Hummus: http://psykdeliasmith.wordpress.com/2012/06/06/authentic-middle-eastern-hummus/

Thanks for sharing your recipe and pictures. I love how you topped your hummus with chic peas and more olive oil. Looks so pretty and delicious! You just want to pick up a chip and dip it in the hummus! I think next time I am going to try a vegetable hummus.

1. Glad you like it 🙂 i keep meaning to do a chipotle hummus.. ahh one day i will get round to all the recipes i keep meaning to do!

I know what you mean. I always have a long list of recipes – and not nearly enough time! 🙂

7. sybaritica says:

Lovely for a dip… it would be so useful in many other ways too, I bet (sauce base etc!).

Yes, I agree. A friend was telling me she uses hummus with her chicken tenders.

8. Sophie33 says:

I make a similar recipe but omit the tahini because I don’t like its flavour at all! 🙂

Yes, that would be a problem if you do not like tahini!! I bet your recipe was great you work with some neat ingredients. 🙂

9. Laurie says:

Roasted red pepper humus is my my favorite type of humus. Thanks for sharing!

Your welcome – I hope you enjoy it. 🙂