Chicken Chili Close up picture with chips

I must admit this Chicken Chili rivals my Turkey Chili and has become my favorite! We tend to make our chili thick, therefore; if you prefer a more broth-based chili just add more chicken stock. This chili is fabulous with tortilla chips for dipping. I love the crunch of the tortilla with the spiciness of the chili. Just do not make my mistake when I purchased the tortilla chips. The tortilla packaging showed them with salsa – I missed that they were thin and crunchy. They were a bit of a challenge to dip without breaking. Not really sure why anyone would want thin tortilla when they are used for dipping. Both the chicken and turkey chili are great for dinner or an appetizer. Just ladle the chili in a nice bowl and surround it with chips. Just delish!

Chicken Chili surrounded by chips

My inspiration for this recipe came from a Chicken Tortilla Soup my friend Kathie made for a monthly soup club we had at a prior employer. I am not sure how my Chicken Chili compares to her soup but her soup was delicious!

Chicken Chili with cheese and chips

Chili Ingredients

Step 6
¼ cup Fresh Basil Leaves or Cilantro

Toppings
Fresh Basil or Cilantro
Tortilla Chips – baked if you can find them
Sharp Cheddar Cheese, or your favorite cheese shredded
2 Scallions, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)

Now lets get cooking!!

Cook the onions in the oil over medium-low heat until tender. Add diced chicken, salt, pepper and cook for about 15-minutes or until chicken is browned.

Chicken Chili chicken browning in soup pan

Add the garlic, bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, and red pepper flakes. Cook for a few minutes.

Chicken Chili with spices and red peppers

Add crushed tomatoes, green chilies, and chicken broth. You can more or less chicken broth depending upon how thick you want the chili. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Chicken Chili with crushed tomatoes

Add cannellini beans and simmer another 30-minutes.

Chicken Chili adding cannelli beans

Add basil and simmer for a few minutes. While this is simmering get out your bowls, tortilla chips, cheese, and then your chili will then be ready.

Chicken Chili adding fresh basil

Chicken Chili let ingredients warm through with fresh basil

Ladle into your favorite soup bowls, add cheese, and a few chips – and enjoy!!

Chicken Chili closeup in white soup bowl

18 thoughts on “Chicken Chili With Crunchy Tortilla Chips

1. Aside from this soup looking great, I love the purpose of your website overall! I think cooking is intimidating for so many people and lack of time is such a common reason for not trying it. We’ve gotta show that it CAN be done!!

Thank you! I try to keep most of my recipes easier requiring not much time to prepare. Then I have recipes designed for weekends or when we have more time to cook. I also like when I have left overs for a few days. We fell into that trap of eating out too much, which ended up being too expensive and the food quality is not always up to par. Now I spend a little time planning what we will eat for the week to ensure I have the ingredients. 🙂

2. NickkiT says:

This looks totally delicious. My kind of dinner!

Thanks. It was really good and fun to eat!

3. A monthly soup club sounds wonderful! When you have a minute, could you share how it was set up? I’m intrigued. The toppings are one of my favorite things about chili! Yours sounds SO good!

Thanks Allison! The monthly soup club was so much fun. Basically you had to sign up for the club to either bring a soup or stew plus a bread. You need to bring enough for everyone for their lunch. Each person got a month and you had to sign up for what you would bring so we did not have duplicates. A list was sent out to all participants on who was bringing what soup / stew. So if someone was bringing something you did not care for, you could at least plan to bring a lunch that day. The soup or stew was served at noon and we all sat together to enjoy the lunch. It was great from so many aspects. You got to try new soups and stews – plus it was a great social event! There was always great planning and fun competition because you wanted everyone to like what you brought! Plus it helped us get through the cold, long winters here in Buffalo. I do not work at that company anymore so I am not sure if they still have their soup club. At the company I work at now is a male-dominated, twenty-something tech company. So a little different. A few of them are great cooks and bakers. We periodically have a chili or soup cook-off. That format works well for us. 🙂

1. Wow, that sounds wonderful! Sort of like a book club, but with great soups and stews. I think I would miss that if I had a job change, but hopefully there are some wonderful brownies or other delicious things that come into your office on Monday mornings. I have been wanting to try to some type of supper club in my neighborhood. Your monthly soup club sounds very doable and a lot of fun. I don’t think it would be as intimidating for some families as having to come up with an entire meal. You’ve got me thinking. Thanks SO much for the inspiration!

Your welcome – I hope you can spin something for a dinner club which sounds like great fun. It was a great way to socialize and it was always interesting to see what people would make. Some did the soup club for fun and others were more competitive with friendly rivalry. Either way, the soups were great and a wonderful way to try recipes that I would never make an entire batch of soup to see if we like it or not. At ValueCentric we are doing the Wegmans Eat Well Live Well Challenge. It is a great way to eat healthier and get in more steps. Each week they bring us healthy snacks like V8 V-Fusion or vegetables to help us get in our cups. Then there are prizes for best team and individual winners. It really is a great motivator for me!

3. I’ve started a new diet (well, more of a healthier diet). I love the idea of a challenge and that you are doing it alongside your co-workers, it’s so much more motivating that way. I think soups are incredibly filling, so I’m looking for more soup recipes to make (even if they’re just for me) to add to my cooking repertoire in the coming months.

That is a great idea! You could take this Chicken Chili and add some vegetables and such to it. I like the Wegmans Eat Well Live Well Challenge because it really does motiviate me to eat better and move more. It is that time of the year when you realize you are not moving much! I have not lost any weight yet… maybe too many fruits and vegetables, ha ha ha

4. Heather says:

looks and sounds delicious…thank you for visiting…

Your welcome! The Chicken Chili was a great meal!

5. Shari says:

This looks great! Just curious… why grapeseed or peanut oil? Thanks for visiting my blog as well!

I really like using grapeseed oil as it has a higher smoke point than other oils making it great for stir frys and such. It has a lot of health benefits so I lean more towards grapeseed. I also like to “layer” flavors and both oils add a nice flavor. I also use grapeseed oil for salad dressings and such. It really is an all around great oil to have in your pantry. Now given that, you could use olive oil and I still do use it as grapeseed oil is more money. I ran out of grapeseed oil so this time I used my peanut oil. 🙂

1. Shari says:

Thanks for tbe explanation. I use grapeseed oil too, but I wasnt sure if there was a specific reason for this recipe.

Yes, I should add a note that you could use olive oil. 🙂

6. I can almost smell the delicious aroma this surely generated. Yum!

Thank you! Not only was it good.. it was so much fun to eat with the tortilla chips!