Tilapis with Chili Cream Sauce Final Picture

I must admit I am ready for the weekend plus for some nice weather to return and stay! Somehow it is not fair to have cold, snowy weather and seasonal spring allergies at the same time. This weekend I am looking forward to making a chicken chili and hummus since I am going through a ton of it for my Wegmans Eat Well Live Well Challenge. (Hummus counts as a vegetable.) My first week of the challenge ends on Saturday — so far I am on track to exceed my goals. Having a weekly goal for number of steps has definitely raised my awareness that I need to allocate more time to work out. This week I walked on the treadmill several times and then I found that 20-minutes on the Stairmaster counts as 4,000 steps! The Stairmaster is intense with your legs burning after a few minutes but it is worth it because in a short time you get a great workout.

Along with my fruit & vegetable and step goals I want to ensure that my overall food plan is healthy. One of our favorite “go to” meals includes Tilapia fish, which explains why I am always trying different versions. Since Tilapia is such a mild fish, I am careful not to create a sauce that is too heavy or high in fat. The creamy chili sauce is nice because it adds some heat without being overpowering. Be sure to add a little tang to this sauce with a slice of lemon or lime when serving. I added a small serving of mashed potatoes and steamed asparagus for a great, healthy, quick dinner!

2 Tilapia Fish
1 tbsp Cornmeal

1 tbsp Flour

1 tsp. Olive Oil

2 tsp. Butter or Margarine

2 tsp. Flour

1 tsp. Chili Powder

1/4 tsp. Salt

1/4 tsp. Ground Cumin

1/2 cup fat-free Half-and-Half
Fresh Parsley or Cilantro (optional)

Lemon or Lime Slices (optional)

Stir together cornmeal and 1 tbsp of flour. Sprinkle over both sides of fish. Add oil to skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add fish and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove fish from skillet. I like to keep it warm in the oven on a low setting.

Melt butter in the same skillet. Stir or whisk in the 2 teaspoons flour, chili powder, salt, and cumin. Stir in half-and-half. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. To serve, spoon sauce over fish. If desired, sprinkle with parsley, garnish with lime or lemon slices.

If you enjoy Tilapia fish, my other recipes include:

Blackened Smoked Tilapia

Baked Parmesan Tilapia

Baked Tilapia with White Wine Sauce and Asian Twist

Tilapia with a White Wine Sauce and Capers

18 thoughts on “Tilapia with a Creamy Chili Sauce

1. Whitney says:

This looks delicious! I love chili sauce, but creamy? Sounds even better!!

Thank you – if you add some lime or lemon you will get that added tang.

2. Great job on meeting your diet and workout goals. This is much better to have a positive goal then a number goal of weight to loose. Love the light flavors of tilapia fish and this sauce looks lovely. We do not get tilapia very often in Asia but I am certain this would be good on any mild white fish.

Yes, I do agree. When you focus on pounds you tend to get discourage. Hopefully after a few weeks I will lose some weight – once those St. Patrick’s Day cookies are out of the house. And I get through Easter. Ever since Thanksgiving there have been so many challenges with removing desserts out of my life. 🙂 As for the fish, yes I would think any mild fish would work fine. I forget that not everyone can obtain the ingredients we can here in the states. I should remember to add suggestions for substitutions. 🙂

3. Congratulations on doing so well with your challenge! Your tilapia sounds wonderful. This looks simple and flavorful. I love asparagus served alongside fish. They make the perfect combination, I think!

Thanks I love asparagus too with a mild fish. I still have 7 more weeks left on my challenge. I know I did not lose any weight yet with all those St. Patrick Days cookies in the house. I brought a ton to work but my husband wanted me to keep a few for the house. And of course I end up eating more than him! Given that Easter is so close to St. Patrick’s Day I decided not to make any Easter desserts for my blog. Unless I did a fruit theme dessert and it would count towards my challenge. 🙂

1. I’m having trouble with an early purchase of jelly beans here, so I plan to steer clear of Easter desserts too! Hope the next 7 weeks of your challenge go well for you.

I would imagine we have jelly beans as the Easter items have been out for awhile. I think I will stay away from them too! 🙂

4. Yummy!!! I want to try this!! I LOVE cornmeal 🙂 I’m going to pin it so I can find it again!

Thank you so much – I do hope you enjoy it and add your own special touches! 🙂

1. Already been thinking about what touches I would add! We are trying to stay away from lots of dairy, but I’m thinking coconut milk would add a nice flavor with the spice!!!

What a wonderful idea! Coconut milk! I have only used it in my Indian Chicken Curry soup – but I should try to add it to other recipes. Thanks for the idea. 🙂

3. No problem! Thanks for the recipe that inspired the thought 🙂 I love the flavor and I think it’s got something like 50% more calcium than milk!

That is what I love about blogging – I get inspired by other people ideas! 🙂

5. Isn’t it great?! You have brought so much inspiration too!! 🙂

Thank you. 🙂

I hope someone makes it for you!