Spicy and Hot Chicken Quesadilla Final

Thursday is a nondescript day – it is not mid week and it is not Friday! What can I say about Thursday? I am looking for a quick “go to” meal. When I first started this blog, I posted a recipe for Chicken Quesadilla that you can prepare and have on the table in about 30-minutes. Recently, I made a slight variation to add more fresh vegetables and hot peppers. It does take a little longer to make than my original recipe but if you want to include fresh ingredients then this is a great version. Plus you can prep the vegetables and shred the cheese the day before to save time once you get home.

1 BBQ Rotisserie Chicken
1/2 tsp Salt
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 large Sweet Onion, cut in half and into slices
1 small Green Bell Pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
1 small Red Bell Pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
1 small Jalapeno Pepper or Hot Pepper, chopped (use gloves if chopping a jalapeno pepper)
1 Fresh Large Tomato
1 Garlic Clove, minced
1 to 2 tsp Smoked Paprika
1 to 2 tsp Cumin
2 tbsp Cilantro
4 large flour tortillas
Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Sour Cream and Salsa are optional toppings

Preheat oven to 425.

In a small pan mix the shredded chicken, cumin, paprika, garlic, garlic, cilantro, salt, chopped tomato and heat through.

Add olive oil and sweet onion into a frying pan at medium heat and cook until tender. Add peppers and finish cooking.

While the onions and peppers are cooking and the chicken mixture is heating, spray your baking pan and place two flour tortillas side-by-side on the pan. Sprinkle cheese over the tortillas. Then add your chicken mixture and spread evenly but not quite to the edge. (I tend to dice my tomatoes in large chunks, but you can certainly dice them smaller.)

Spicy and Hot Chicken Quesadilla Layer 1

By now your onions and peppers should be ready. Place them on top of your chicken mixture.

Spicy and Hot Chicken Quesadilla Layer 2

Add more cheese.

Spicy and Hot Chicken Quesadilla Layer 3

I top each with another flour tortilla and then bake.

Spicy and Hot Chicken Quesadilla top layer of tortilla

Bake for 10-minutes. Check after about 8-minutes as the ends will burn if left in the oven too long. Once golden brown, remove, cut into wedges. Serve with salsa and light sour cream. Enjoy! Do you have any favorite “Go To” recipes?

Chicken Quesadilla picture

12 thoughts on “Chicken Quesadilla Spicy and Hot

1. Yum, we love making quesadillas, I will have to try your recipe!

I liked that I used fresh vegetables instead of the jar salsa (which of course was excellent). This version is pretty filling and I could not finish mine. The fresh vegetables really beefed it up. 🙂

2. cheflynnie says:

Awesome recipe

Lynn Johnson

Thank you. I am still looking for different variations as I love chicken quesadillas but enjoy a change now and then in how I prepare them.

3. v says:

Looks yummy. I may have to try this, I love Mexican food. Especially spicy stuff

What is nice is you can make it as spicy or as hot as you like your food.

4. willowdot21 says:

I am so hungry now!

Thank you! It was delicious!

5. The other night I enjoyed a really good chicken quesadilla (small, hole in the wall restaurant) where the peppers had all been roasted. They served small bowls of freshly made pico de gallo and guacamole alongside. Your photos are making me think I need to get another one of their quesadillas this weekend! Love the addition of fresh tomato in your recipe 🙂

Thanks Allison! I almost made pico de gallo for my quesadilla. I love the idea of roasted red peppers and that might be my next variation. I usually use salsa and I happened to have a tomato left over from a different meal. I thought it might be a nice change to use fresh vegetables and it was. Plus the quesadilla was more filling as I could not finish mine. 🙂

1. Funny, I couldn’t finish mine either (although I really wanted too). I’m anxious to get home to San Diego this summer so I can over-indulge in plenty of Mexican dishes!

That sounds wonderful!! 🙂