Blueberry Antioxidant Protein Smoothie

At work we are starting Wegmans Eat Well Live Well Challenge. The program is designed to get you moving and improve the amount of vegetables & fruits you eat every day. At work we formed teams with each team member setting her daily goal for number of steps and cups of vegetables and fruits. To determine your number of daily steps you wear a pedometer plus other activities such as working out converts to steps. I love this approach since your overall physical activity counts towards your steps whereas some programs only consider steps counted using a pedometer. We also strive to have one half-plate a day where half your plate is fruit and vegetables and the other half is your meat and carbs. Wegmans has a really nice website where you can enter your goal and daily information. Our company is providing team and individual awards throughout the challenge. I got elected the team leader of our team, which means I have to review if everyone is entering their information and review how we compare to the other teams. Each week I will provide feedback to my team and help encourage them to reach their goals. We voted on a team name and we are VC Snickerdoodles!!! VC stands for our company name – ValueCentric. Snickerdoodles is a fabulous cookie that hopefully people see the humor in our name!

My personal daily goals are 7,000 steps and 4 cups of fruits and vegetables. I have all week to make my goal; therefore if one day I am short on my steps I can make up the difference another day. Given that it is still winter and the weather is not too nice I will need to be creative to get in my steps. The fruits and vegetables are much easier for me as I can plan out my meals.

Below is an easy blueberry protein smoothie that provided 1 cup towards my goal and of course is packed with wonderful antioxidants. Wish VC Snickerdoodles!!! the best on our challenge. I will be posting updates on our progress and how I am increasing my intake of fruits and vegetables.

For the blueberry protein smoothie I used the following ingredients:

2 cups Skim Milk
2 cups Frozen Blueberries
2 scoops Vanilla Protein Powder
Fresh Blueberries for toppings, optional

Instead of skim milk you could use low-fat plain yogurt or ½ cup yogurt and ½ skim milk. Place all ingredients into a blender; add more milk if the smoothie is too thick. Pour into two large glasses and enjoy!

Other smoothie recipes:
Peach Protein Smoothie
Strawberry Banana Protein Smoothie
Raspberry Sorbet Protein Smoothie

18 thoughts on “Blueberry Antioxidant Protein Smoothie and our Wegmans Eat Well Live Well Challenge

1. These look so good that I think I may have to make some myself! Yum!

It was really good. I was not sure about not adding other fruit, but the blueberries were great on their own. I used frozen blueberries and they did not require any additional sweetener. If they did, I would have used a little honey.

2. Maylana says:

What a fantastic idea! I’m going to check this out. I need to do something like this.

These challenges always help motiviate me. I am already eating more fruits, vegetables and increasing my steps! Hopefully I will be back into hiking shape over the next couple of months! 🙂

3. willowdot21 says:

such lovely colours!!

Thanks! It was gorgeous and delicious! One of my favorite smoothies and so simple to make. 🙂

4. This sounds perfect to nourish my boys on our busy mornings. Can you check something for me, I’m not getting an email notification when you send out.

Yes, with the protein powder it is energy-packed! I am not sure what I can check in regards to you not getting an email notification. I checked my followers list and it does not tell me if they get an email notification or not. I know my husband gets the email notification, but he is not a blogger. But it does come to his email…. thoughts?

5. Best wishes! May your team be successful! 🙂 The smoothies looks delicious as well!

Thank you! The smoothie was delicious! It will be refreshing for the summer. 🙂

6. Abby says:

awesome!

7. Sue Kasprzyk says:

Hi Bernice, boy would I love to start better eating habits ( hard with the chicken wing king husband..ha ) just found out yesterday that my cholestoral is higher than it should be, never had a problem before. this smoothie looks great. I’ll have to start watching for your recipees. See you in a few weeks, Sue K

Hi Sue! Wegmans program is wonderful because it does help keep you motivated. I am definitely eating more fruits and vegetables. Plus I am getting in more steps. I believe you can join it as a solo participant. See you in a few weeks! Bernice

8. dawnandperry says:

Thanks, Bernice, I could use a program like this as I am back to doing Weight Watchers “hard core”. I’m curious about the vanilla protein powder. What brand do you use? How does it impact the taste and texture of the dishes its added to? Finally, what’s it’s benefit (I feel like I already get more protein than I need in general, and it seems like the milk or yogurt in the smoothie is already bringing some protein to the party)? I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Hi Dawn. We use EAS 100% Whey Protein Powder. My husband found it and he is hardcore when it comes to health and working out. Here is a link to EAS website. It will change the texture and taste somewhat. The vanilla protein does not have much flavor but it will not be like a straight up fruit smoothie. I try to have protein with all my meals and am working on building more muscle for stronger bones. We often have a protein smoothie after a workout, playing disc golf etc. After a hard workout you want to take in protein for your muscles to repair them. Two scoops add 150 calories so that is also a consideration. If you feel you get enough protein throughout the day you may not need to add it. Hope this helps. Bernice 🙂

9. I have made blueberry smoothies before and they are absolutely delicious. Have enjoyed looking at your recipes! Thanks for the like on my post “Of Orchids and Fuzzy Creatures”!

I was hesitant about a blueberry smoothie as I thought it would be too much blueberry. But I was pleasantly happy when it turned out delicious! It is now one of my favorites. Thanks for stopping by!