Irish Tea Scones Final Picture with a cup of tea and teapot

One of my favorite fiction authors is Maeve Binchy. One can get lost in her books as the characters become friends and you become invested in their lives. Her stories are centered in Ireland with realistic characters whose lives are not perfect and the endings are not always those story-book romantic endings. Her writing was so vivid that you were transported to Ireland and walking down the beautiful Irish roads. The characters often appeared in numerous books and you felt joy and sadness with them. Sometimes anger at the decisions they made. More than 20 years ago I read her book “Circle of Friends” and since then always look forward to her new books and re-reading the older ones. I have a ton of hard-covered books, paperbacks, and e-books on my Kindle. I was saddened when I heard of her death this past summer because it was like losing a friend. Plus I was so looking forward to more books. Then I heard she had one more book she was writing “A Week in Winter”. I pre-ordered the book so I could get it immediately when it was released in the US. I must admit it is sitting on my reading table because I am having a hard time picking up and reading her last book! I feel everything must be perfect before reading this last precious book. I need to be in the right mood with perhaps the perfect cup of tea and scones. Below is my recipes for Irish scones. I rarely make scones so please do not compare this recipe to anyone’s Irish grandmother who has her recipe perfected! I read that cake flour makes a tender scone. Does anyone know if that is true?

So here is the scone recipe…. now to read Maeve’s last book….

Irish Tea Scones A Week In Winter Maeve Binchy

Dry Ingredients

1 3/4 to 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour or cake flour

1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

Wet Ingredients
2 ounces cold Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter, cut into pieces

1/3 cup raisins or currants

1/2 cup skim milk

1 large egg, plus additional beaten egg for brushing over tops

Topping
Additional sugar for sprinkling over the tops
; sugar in the raw is nice to use
1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 425° F. Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into large bowl.

Irish Tea Scones Ingredients

Using fingertips, pastry blender, or butter knives to cut the Kerrygold Butter into flour mixture to form coarse crumbs. I start by using two butter knives and then finish using my fingers. Add and mix in raisins.

Irish Tea Scones make well in flour mixture

Whisk together milk and 1 egg. Make a well in the flour mixture; pour in milk mixture. Using fork, stir just until soft, moist dough is formed.

Irish Tea Scones dry and wet ingredients mixed

Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; gently knead 1 or 2 times to incorporate loose pieces of dough. (Do not over knead.) Pat dough to 1 inch thickness. I found the dough to be very wet so I added more flour until it was an appropriate texture to create the scones.

Irish Tea Scones on wooden board

Cut into 6 wedges. Place scones on lightly sprayed baking sheet. Brush tops with additional beaten egg; sprinkle with sugar. Do not skip this step as it adds a lot to the scones.

Irish Tea Scones before placing into the oven

Bake until golden brown, about 14 to 17 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking for more even browning. Serve warm with Clotted Cream, Kerrygold Irish Butter, or jam. I was going to make Clotted Cream and I had the heavy cream. Unfortunately, I purchased it too early and it was past the expiration date. But I do not mind admitting that I like butter. I do not use it often in cooking but for a special occasion like this I am having my scones with the Kerrygold Irish Butter! Now I must go and make my Irish Stew!

Irish Tea Scones hot out of the oven

28 thoughts on “Irish Tea Scones and my favorite Irish author Maeve Binchy

1. willowdot21 says:

My husband loves to cook and he makes excellent scones. Like you I adore Maeve Binchy’s books and funnily enough the first one I read was A Circle of Friends. She has spread so much gentle knowledge about bless her xx

Scones are just so good! This is the first time I made them from scratch. I love the crunchy, sweet top of the scone. Have you started to read her last book yet? I think I am going to start reading it on St. Patrick’s Day. It seems appropriate. 🙂

1. willowdot21 says:

Not just yet I am saving the pleasure.

Yes, I understand. Everything must be just right. 🙂

2. The scones look delicious! I am going to make them today. I’m looking forward to reading ‘A Week in Winter’ too. I love her books!

The scones are good! My husband is also enjoying them. I think I am at a point where I can start reading her last book. I think I will start it on St. Patrick’s Day!

3. Just a perfect blog for the season. I am going to have to try this author. It is exciting anytime I find a new author. Hugs, Barbara

Thank you! Maeve’s books are wonderful. Circle of Friends was made into a movie; however, it removed a character and other parts of the book to fit it into a movie format. I just love Tara Roads. I could not put down that book and just could get lost for an afternoon. I hope you have a chance to read her books. Thanks for stopping by! Bernice 🙂

4. graciamc says:

My husband always uses a mix but he’s willing to give these a try if I help. We add chocolate chips instead of raisins! Yummm! We’ll make them tomorrow!

They came out really good. I was a bit concern because my dough was too wet and I needed to add more flour. I know if you overwork the dough they can be tough. But mine were nice and tender. I would also like to try chocolate chips! Let me know how they come out. 🙂

5. Sheryl says:

The scones look delicious, and I’ll have to look for Maeve Binchey’s books.

Thank you! The scones went quickly. I love them right out of the oven with a bit of Irish butter. Maeve was such a gifted writer. I can lose an entire afternoon in one of her books. 🙂

6. perfect day to begin her book – nice dedication to her

Thank you. I just love her books – now it is time to start re-reading them. After I read A Week in Winter I may re-read Tara Road. I just loved that book!

7. LizzieJoy says:

These sound lovely. I’m saving the recipe, thank you. I love the china, too. Just my cup of tea. Have a beautiful Sun-day.

Thank you! I am glad you liked the china. It seemed so appropriate with the Irish scones and Maeve’s book.

8. sakthi says:

What a shame, I love Maeve Binchy’s books too; I didn’t realise she’d passed away. This recipe is a fitting tribute while reading her last book. Sigh, time to re-read circle of friends I think.

Yes, I was heartbroken when I heard the news. I want to re-read Tara Road – I just loved that book!

9. Maeve’s books are wonderful to read with a scone and cup of tea! Thanks for including the recipe and photos…I’m going to add the egg wash and sugar sprinkle the next time I make scones – I think it will add to them!

I really like the final presentation of the scones with the egg wash. The sugar just added that nice additional crunch and sweetness without it being too much. I cannot wait to get lost in Maeve’s last book.

10. These scones look lovely!!
    Kenley

Thank you Kenley. Greg and I did enjoy them! I can’t wait to make them and maybe some other scone recipes. Such a nice treat to have on the weekend.

11. Sophie33 says:

Lovely looking tasty scones & that tea calls my name too! 🙂 A wonderful presentation too! 🙂 That book sounds lovely!

Thanks you Sophie! The scones were just fabulous! I can’t wait to make them again. Most likely once I read the book I may write a posting about it… but not too much either as to not ruin it for other people who want to read her last book. Thanks for the feedback on my presentation. Several things that are important to me are in one picture! 🙂

12. Derek Traver says:

This is such good reading material and photographs. I don’t know anyone who makes their own fresh scones at home, everyone I know purchases them from bakeries so this is really cool to see it done from scratch.

Thank you! They were easy to make and so darn good. Especially when they came out of the oven. The egg wash and sugar on the top added a real nice touch. And I did not use much sugar either. Just enough to add a little sweetness. I definitely will be trying other recipes.