Irish Potato Cake

If you are looking for a great cake for St Patrick’s Day then you will enjoy this Irish Potato Cake! It is easy to make and you can’t stop eating it!

I have always loved Irish sayings and blessings for their wisdom and humor! Below are a few that I enjoy. Do you have a favorite Irish blessing / saying?

May those who love us love us. And those that don’t love us, May God turn their hearts. And if He doesn’t turn their hearts, May he turn their ankles, So we’ll know them by their limping.

May you be in Heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you’re dead.

May your neighbors respect you,
Troubles neglect you,
The angels protect you,
And Heaven accept you.

When Irish Eyes Are Smiling, sure ’tis like a morn in spring.
In the lilt of Irish laughter you can hear the angels sing,
When Irish hearts are happy all the world seems bright and gay,
And When Irish Eyes Are Smiling, sure, they steal your heart away.
Chaucey Olcott and George Graff, Jr.

11 thoughts on “Irish Potato Cake & Irish Sayings

1. I’ve never heard of Irish potato cake, but I’m sure it must be quite good or you wouldn’t have shared it! From your photo it looks as though you baked it in a bundt pan and a little whipped cream on the side is always so good!

It is a really delicious cake! The mashed potatoes does make it a heavier but yet moist cake. I did make it in a bundet pan and used a little whipped cream for the topping.

2. Mitzie Mee says:

Love those sayings:) I have made a potato cake earlier and really like how the potatoes seem to keep the cake fresh and moist forever:)

The potato cake is definitely heavier than a regular cake – but so darn addicting! I adore potatoes so this is the perfect cake. 🙂

3. Happy St. Pattys day to you

Thanks Bam! Today I am going to be making my shamrock cookies and hopefully post them in a day or so.

4. willowdot21 says:

I do love Irish cooking and Irish saying , My father was Irish so I have grown up with a lot of Irish born and instilled in me.my favourite piece of Irish Philosophy is : In life, there are only two things to worry about—
    Either you are well or you are sick.If you are well, there is nothing to worry about, but if you are sick, there are only two things to worry about— Either you will get well or you will die.
    If you get well, there is nothing to worry about,but if you die, there are only two things to worry about—
    Either you will go to heaven or hell. If you go to heaven, there is nothing to worry about.And if you go to hell, you’ll be so busy shaking hands with all your friends you won’t have time to worry!

ha ha ha…. Thank you for sharing. I like that Irish Philosophy! That is what I love about the Irish. Such great wisdom and humor. 🙂

5. Conor Bofin says:

As an Irishman, the above brings a little story to mind. A friend had a hole in his roof. I asked him if he was going to fix it. He said no. When it’s raining, it’s too wet to fix it. When it’s dry, it doesn’t need fixing.
    Happy St. Patrick’s Day,
    Conor

I love that Conor! I am glad you shared that with me. And Happy St. Patrick’s Day to you!