Spicy Scallops Final Picture

I made this recipe for Valentine’s Day but unfortunately was not able to get fresh scallops so I made it with frozen ones. That was a mistake – never use frozen scallops they reduce about 50% in size during cooking and do not have much flavor. The next week I made this recipe again but using fresh scallops and they came out excellent! The spice oil dressing can be made about a week in advance allowing this to be a quick dinner to make after a busy day at work. Add mashed potatoes, a steamed vegetable, plus a glass of wine and you have a gourmet meal in less than 30-minutes! (Remember I purchase my mashed potatoes pre-made from Wegmans.)

Spice Oil Dressing
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 tsp Paprika
1/4 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
6 Black Peppercorns
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
1/4 cup Olive Oil
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 tsp Lemon Zest
1 tbsp Lemon Juice

Scallops
1 1/2 tbsp Grapeseed Oil
8 large or 12 medium Fresh Sea Scallops, side muscle removed
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
Cilantro

Spice Oil Dressing
Grind first 5 ingredients to a fine powder in spice mill. Transfer to a small saucepan over medium-low heat; add oil. Cook until oil begins to simmer, 2–3 minutes. Scrape into a small bowl; stir in garlic and lemon zest. Let cool for 5 minutes, and then stir in 1 Tbsp. lemon juice. This can be made about a week ahead of time. Just reheat before using.

Spicy Scallops spices used for spice oil dressing

Spicy Scallops spice oil dressing in frying pan

Spicy Scallops final spice oil dressing in bowl

Scallops
Heat grapeseed oil in a large heavy skillet pan over high heat until oil begins to smoke. Season scallops with salt and pepper. Sear until well browned, about 3 minutes.

Spicy Scallops in frying pan

Turn and finish cooking; about 30 seconds longer. Divide scallops between 2 plates and spoon a tablespoon of spice oil dressing over each plate. Top with Cilantro and enjoy!

Spicy Scallops cilantro

Spicy Scallops plated

Other recipes you might enjoy:
Scallops with an Asian Sauce
Blackened Smoked Tilapia
Mini Smoky Scalloped Potatoes
Green Beans Mixed with a Miso Dressing and Almonds

21 thoughts on “Spicy Scallops

Thank you for the reblog to your followers! I hope you and your readers enjoy the recipe. Bernice

1. FarAway Peach Garden (世外桃源) says:

I’ve never dared to cook scallops… You make it look straightforward enough. I shall give it a try. Thanks much for sharing!

You are welcomed. Many years ago my husband wanted me to make scallops. I was not thrilled with the idea of making them. I thought they would be difficult to make. But honestly, if you work with a heavy frying pan that is not too hot, they do cook quickly. Plus use your thermometer to take a temperature. Plus have all your ingredients including your side dishes ready to heat or already cooking. Because the scallops do not take long to cook, you need everything ready. Plus I have my plates out and the table set with silverware and such. Best wishes with making your scallops. Let me know if you have any questions and how they come out!

2. willowdot21 says:

even after a big dinner this has made me hungry!!

They were good. My husband saw the posting and he too got hungry!

3. I LOVE scallops, this looks and sounds amazing, if i can get hold of some scallops i will definatley try this out!

I hope you do – they are really good! Plus easy to make. 🙂

4. Whitney says:

Sounds so good! I haven’t had scallops in forever. And I think I have that exact same dish you used for cilantro, it came in a set, yeah?

Mine did not come in a set. I bought all the ingredients separately. The scallops were really good – the spices were a nice change.

5. Yum! This looks like a winner dish. I know what you mean about frozen scallops…I think sometimes they put something in them to plump them up so be careful where they come from. I also just made some my own homemade spicy garlic black bean sauce and I think it would be lovely on your scallops. Thanks for the recipe Bernice and love that close up of the scallop looks so tender. Take care, BAM

Thanks BAM! They were so tender – fork tender. The frozen ones were huge and then shrunk at least 50%. They must have been all water. Plus no taste – very disappointing. Plus they were almost the same price as fresh ones. Now I just need to remember to never buy frozen again. 🙂

6. Canadian Geek Gurl says:

I understand what you mean about frozen scallops, you can’t beat fresh if you’re lucky enough to get it. I can’t wait to try this recipe as a welcome home dinner for my hubby 🙂 I look forward to reading more of your blogs! Cheers!

Thank you and I look forward to following your blog too! Yes, the frozen scallops were a mistake. We do not have scallops that often so fresh is the way to go. I hope you and your husband enjoy the recipe! 🙂

7. Canadian Geek Gurl says:

Reblogged this on Canadian Geek Gurl and commented:
    A new recipe to make for hubby when he comes home… Cheers to Bernice for a fantastic inspiration!

Thank you for blogging my recipe on your site. I hope you and your readers enjoy it. So easy to make especially when you can make the spicy dressing ahead of time. 🙂

8. Maylana says:

Oh my gosh!! I love scallops. I’m going to try this. I’ll prepare the spice oil dressign in advance.

This dish is fab! I could not believe how quick I made dinner that night because I did make the spice oil dressing the day before. It was nice to have a gourmet dinner after work.

9. Sophie33 says:

Oo waw, what a fantasticly tasty recipe for scallops! I love savouring scallops too! But I never make them at home! that’s so about to change now! Yum!

These were really good. I should have came up with a better name for them! Once I got over my initial fear of cooking scallops I found out they are super easy to make. The key for me is to have all my ingredients and side dishes ready to go because they do not take long to make.