Butter Chicken Murgh Makhani

I recently had Butter Chicken and since I enjoyed it so much I just had to make it! There are a lot of recipes with slight variations so feel free to make changes because you could increase or decrease the amount of spices.

We have been experiencing odd weather this winter. Lately it has been cold, rainy, and damp. Typically we do not have rain in February – normally it would be snowing! This is not ideal weather for snowmobiling. Plus it is hard to get warm – the dampness leaves a constant chill. And it is hard on the sinuses! Having a dinner like Butter Chicken and Basmati Rice with spices is so comforting. Add Tandoori Roti (recipe coming soon) or Naan oven-roasted flatbread, steam a fresh vegetable and you have a meal. Also you can make enough for a few dinners as it warms over nicely. In the evening I like to make either a Ginger-Honey Spiced tea or Indian Masala Chai as both are packed with healthy and medicinal ingredients that I hope will reduce any potential of getting a cold or sinus problems. So far it is working – lets hope that does not change!

Marinade

1 tsp Salt
1 to 2 tbsp Tandoori Spice
3 tbsp Butter, softened
1/2 cup Half-and-Half or Milk
Coriander leaves to garnish

Marinade
Mix together the marinade ingredients. Add the chicken to a ziplock bag and pour the marinade into the bag and coat the chicken. Place in refrigerator for a couple of hours or over night. Periodically turn the bag to ensure the chicken is properly coated.

Sauce
Heat the oil in a deep pan on medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until tender. Mix in the ginger and garlic paste. Stir and cook for a minute. Add desired amount of spices and salt. Add the chicken and cook for about 10-minutes. Blend in tomatoes – continue cooking until chicken is tender and sauce is reduced to about half – or until desired thickness. Lastly add the melted butter and half-and-half. I like to add some of the sauce to the half-and-half to heat it before adding it to the hot pan. Cook for a few more minutes. Serve and garnish with coriander leaves.

38 thoughts on “Butter Chicken – Murgh Makhani

Thank you so much for reblogging my recipe. I do hope you and your readers enjoy it! Thanks again. Bernice

1. nades3 says:

This sounds yummy!! I’ll try it and let you know what I think. Am working on a post about chicken tikka masala right now, so tell me what you think as well if you get a chance to make it : )

Sounds good. I hope you enjoy it. There are a lot of variations of Butter Chicken. I think next time I will make it slightly different. Perhaps with cashews made into a paste that will be added to the sauce. 🙂

1. nades3 says:

Sounds yummy! I put crushed almonds into my Indian dishes a lot because I think it makes the sauce richer and more full-bodied. But next time maybe I’ll try cashews instead as I definitely like their flavor more. thanks for the idea!

Almonds… never thought of that! Another great option. Thanks! We like a rich sauce and even though this is a good sauce I think the cashews would take it to that next level.

2. wiolakk says:

Sounds good. Could you please tell me what is it: the garlic and the ginger paste? Is it the mashed garlic and ginger?

Yes, I buy them in a jar already ground into a paste. My local supermarket carries them in the International section. Most likely you could grind your own in a food processor. Here is a recipe that you might find helpful: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/ginger-garlic-paste/ Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. wiolakk says:

Thank you. I will go for the fresh ones 🙂

Your welcome! Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

3. Butter chicken is one of my favorites! I’ve never attempted making it from scratch.

It is really good. And there are many variations of the recipe. I may try a slightly different version next time with using cashews as part of the sauce.

4. Whitney says:

Butter chicken is my all-time favorite, but wowza we gots different recipes!

I am not surprised. There were a lot of different variations on this recipe. I think I might try some other variations to see how they are different in taste. It was the same thing when I wanted to make Indian Chai. Every recipe was different. Then when I made Indian Chicken Curry Soup – same thing. The recipes were different. So I end up trying what I think we will like in terms of spices and flavor. 🙂

1. Whitney says:

You know, it’s funny. I plan on posting a recipe, and then you post the same thing. It has happened a few times now! Haha! I’ll eventually post my recipe for butter chicken, and then maybe you can try it.

I am trying to learn more about Indian cooking – hence all the posts. I really do hope you post your recipe because I would love to see it!

3. Whitney says:

If you ever have any questions about anything, feel free to ask me. I’ve been cooking Indian for years, and thankfully I have an everyday actual Indian taste tester. Actually, I am meeting someone in the next few days to talk about starting up an Indian food truck, which would be the first in our city!

That would be wonderful – an Indian food truck. It is so nice to have a change from the type of food I grew up with. I love all the spices. Plus we are into Thai food and adding more heat to our food. I am sure in time I will be switching back to Thai recipes. I just looked at your naan bread recipe – and now am really curious about your Butter Chicken Recipe. 🙂

5. Whitney says:

Actually, one of the pictures in my naan recipe is with butter chicken. Ha.

Looks like we like the same type of food!

7. Whitney says:

Yep, looks like it!

8. Whitney says:

I love Thai food, so does the man. And the spicier the better. I will have to search your blog for some recipes.

I just got into heat during the last 6-months. I was always afraid of heat and peppers. But once I got over that fear I found I love more heat to my dishes and started to redo some of the traditional recipes with adding heat. I can’t wait to get back to more Thai dishes. But first I have some St Patrick’s desserts to make for the blog! I always have too much I want to cook or bake. 🙂

5. Looks delicious! I’m always looking for new chicken recipes. Thanks for sharing yours.

We are the same. We eat a lot of chicken and after awhile you need to try new dishes and flavors. We are really enjoying the Indian dishes – though they are not really authentic as I seem to Americanize them without realizing it. 🙂

6. NickkiT says:

Wow this looks really yummy!

Thank you – I must admit we did enjoy it. 🙂

7. Oh my gosh this sounds so wonderful!! And I love it that you use the pastes, I feel like they are an under appreciated ingredient, the ones I buy are decently cheap but ORGANIC!! So much cheaper than buying organic herbs and veggies 🙂

Thank you! I just started to use the paste and they are nice to add to your dishes. It is funny how you never use an ingredient and once you discover it you wonder how did I ever cook without it! 🙂

Thank you for the mention. I appreciate it. 🙂

8. samokan says:

I was finally able to make it and of course I made some changes 🙂 Thank you for sharing. It tasted wonderful.

Looks wonderful! I love when you can take a recipe and make it your own. I like the changes you made. 🙂

1. samokan says:

Excited to experiment more on your posted recipes 🙂

Thanks – it is always fun to experiment! I especially like working with new ingredients and spices. 🙂

9. Because of my search for possible yogurt gravies/sauces in recipes, I have run into some Indian dishes which utilize yogurt. Thanx for this one.

As I understand from my friends who are from India they use yogurt to marinade their meat so it is more tender. 🙂