Eggs with Sun-Dried Tomatoes Final Picture

I had left over sun-dried tomatoes from a recent Turkey Meatloaf with Sun-Dried Tomatoes dinner and did not want them to go to waste. I dislike throwing out ingredients because there is not another recipe to use them. My husband loves having a nice breakfast on the weekends and typically it includes an egg dish. Greg thought the sun-dried tomatoes would be good with eggs so we tried out a baked egg recipe. I happened to have some fresh basil and Italian cheese that mixed well with the sun-dried tomatoes. We had enough for breakfast and some left over for the next day. The sun-dried tomatoes added a real nice sweetness to the dish. When I was dicing them there was an aroma that reminded me of summer. You may want to add more to the recipe or use as a garnish. This dish would go well with my Whole Wheat Banana Pecan Pancakes. While the egg dish is baking, you can make your pancakes or even Home-Fried Potatoes.

I would also like to thank “Cooking With Sapana: A Collection of Indian Cuisines” for nominating me for the Super Sweet Blogging Award! It is always nice when someone appreciates your blog enough to nominate you for an award! Please visit her blog here for some wonderful Indian recipes and great pictures.

Super sweet blogger

10 Eggs, large
2 Tbsp Half-and-Half, or Milk
3 Tbsp Sun-Dried Tomatoes, packed in oil, chopped
2 Tbsp Onion, minced or chopped
2 Tbsp Fresh Basil Leaves, chopped or 1 tsp Dried Basil
1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme Leaves, or 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
¼ tsp Salt
2 oz grated Italian Cheese, your favorite or a blend

Eggs with Sun-Dried Tomatoes ingredients

Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a small casserole dish with cooking spray.

In a large bowl whisk the eggs and half-and-half until well combined. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Pour in the egg mixture into the small casserole dish. Place the dish in the oven, and bake 35 minutes. I like to bake mine until the egg mixture reaches 160 degrees.

Serve with additional sun-dried tomatoes and dried basil.

Here are a few more breakfast recipes…
Christmas Morning Baked Cinnamon French Toast
Italian Frittata
Layered Egg Omelet Sandwich
Scrambled Egg Bake
Whole-Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes with a Chocolate Chip Surprise!

16 thoughts on “Baked Eggs with Sun-Dried Tomatoes & Fresh Basil

1. eschof2 says:

Great use of left overs! Looks delicious.

Thank you – I love when we can find more uses for an item we purchase for a specific recipe. 🙂

2. health advocation says:

yum

3. Irene says:

This recipe is awesome. Baked eggs is my favorite. I am hungry for some breakfast.

Thank you! I love baking eggs since it is so much easier than on the stove top. And I too get hungry reading everyones’ blogs!

4. starbalt123 says:

This looks delicious 🙂

Thank you – I must admit I now enjoy sun-dried tomatoes after having them in this egg bake. 🙂

5. nades3 says:

Sounds yummy!! Always have leftover sundried tomatoes around. Can’t wait to try this!

That is wonderful! I hope you enjoy the recipe!

6. Kim says:

I’ve never tried baked eggs before, but I’m always looking for new, savory breakfast recipes! I have a sweet tooth and thrive on French toast and pancakes, but my fiancé loves hearty and savory dishes. I think he would love these eggs. Thanks for sharing!

Your welcome! I hope your fiance enjoys them and they are easy to make. I like when you can bake eggs since it is easier. My only tip is to not over bake them. You might need to watch them near the end in case they are done sooner depending upon your oven and what you select to bake them in.

7. I have never made baked eggs… I really must try it. It sounds so delicious… love the addition of fresh basil too.
    -JulieC

It is a nice way to make them without having to watch them cook on the stovetop. I love fresh basil which made it even better! 🙂

Thank you! The sun-dried tomatoes was a nice addition to the dish.