Naan Oven Roasted Flatbread

My Chicken Curry with Precooked Masala would not be complete without Naan flatbread! When we went to the Indian restaurant they were generous with the Naan flatbread allowing me to bring some home. It was really good the next day, which is always a good sign. It is really easy to make though I did not properly divide my dough into 8 equal parts. Two of my Naan flatbreads came out a bit thin and crunchy! We like ours a little thicker and chewy. Next time I am going to make 6 instead of 8. I froze the leftovers by wrapping each Naan flatbread in a piece of aluminum foil. About an hour before dinner, I take out what we need from the freezer and reheat in the microwave for about 20 – 30 seconds.

This recipe was inspired from the book “From Mom With Love… Complete Guide to Indian Cooking & Entertaining” by Pushpin Bhargava. You can find her book here. Meeta, a testing professional, also kindly shared her recipe. Instead of using dry active yeast she uses a self-rising flour and adds sugar for added sweetness. Next time I am going to add some sugar! I would like to thank Meeta for all her advice and helping to get me started with Indian cooking and making Indian Chai! Based upon these recipes and other research came this recipe. You can bake the Naan bread or you could use a hot frying pan. As always there are a lot of options when you are cooking!

Dough Mixture
3 cups Flour
1 tsp Salt
½ tsp Baking Soda
4 tsp Canola Oil
6 ounces Warm Water, about 110 degrees based upon the yeast you are using
1 package Dry RapidRise Active Yeast
7 tbsp Yogurt, Plain No-Fat
2 tsp Sugar, optional

Additional Ingredients
Extra flour for rolling
An additional seasoning for the topping such as Onion Seed or Poppy Seeds
Butter, optional

Mix the flour, salt, baking soda, and oil in a bowl. In a second bowl, mix water, yeast, and yogurt. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Knead the dough. Add more flour if too wet and more warm water if too dry.

Cover and set aside for a few hours for the dough to rise. Knead again and divide in 6 – 8 portions. Shape each part into a ball; lightly press between your hands to flatten. Continue to flatten using a rolling pin or you can continue using your hands. Sprinkle with onion seed, poppy seeds, or any seasonings of your choice if desired. Preheat broiler. Place aluminum foil on a baking pan and place four naan flatbread on it. Place in oven and when they puff up and get golden brown flip to the other side. Remove and place in a bread container or a decorative plate. Keep a watch while they are baking because they can go from golden brown to burning rather quickly. Another option is to fry them in a hot frying pan.

20 thoughts on “Naan Oven Roasted Flatbread

1. kanzensakura says:

Yowser y’all. This looks downright yummy!

Thank you appreciate the feedback! They were delish!!

2. I love this whole series you are doing with the Indian cooking so gorgeous. I would love to take one of these beautiful nan breads and dip into your marsala curry. I am having a hard time leaving a comment so I will try 3 different methods. Can you let me know if any of them go through? Take Care, BAM

Got this comment too! I am loving Indian food and will be posting more pictures! Plus I have a few recipes for St. Patrick’s Day that I need to start making and posting.

3. It looks like that one went through so now I am going to try to login in with my new .com and my old wordpress account and leave a message. Can you let me know if it went through. Take Care, BAM

This test also passes!! We are on a roll!

4. Super it looks like it might finally be working so here is one test…I have moved from a wordpress to a my own self hosted site. Please come and visit me at http://bamskitchen.com as looking forward to keeping in touch. Take Care, BAM

And it works! Test passes. 🙂 Thanks for sending me your new website – I just signed up to receive your newsletter. Your new website is awesome!! Did you design it or is it from a template? Either way it is gorgeous!

5. Sheryl says:

I enjoy Naan bread in restaurants. I’ll have to try to make it sometime soon.

I always thought it would be so hard to make. But it is easy. I could do a better job with forming the Naan flatbread. I watched the lady on “My Spice Goddess” and got a few tips!

6. techie2mom says:

Looks yummy to me….

Thank you – it was very good! My husband definitely wants me to make it again!

7. I love Naan bread – thank you for this

Your welcome. I hope you enjoy it. You could also “bake” it in a frying pan if you do not want to use your broiler.

8. WOW – I cannot wait to try this!

It is so easy to make! I froze enough for a few meals and they were still very fresh after a few days in the freezer. I do hope you enjoy them! 🙂

9. holskitchen says:

Reblogged this on Hol's Kitchen and commented:
    looking forward to trying this; we’ve spent quite a bit on naan at the grocery store in the past year and now that we have a dessert naan recipe we’ve developed in the test kitchen, we simply must master a recipe for this tasty, versatile bread

Thank you for the reblog! It is so easy to make and you can add your own personal touches for seasonings. I made mine a bit thicker and chewier than the traditional Indian flatbread. If you want it thinner and crisper just make sure to divide the dough in 8 even pieces. Then flatten it rather thin and large for a crispier Naan. Let me know how it comes out!

10. darena says:

I don’t have a broiler, only a petrogas, but I will “bake” it in the frying pan with sunflower seeds oil one of these days. Can’t wait to try it. How thick does it have to be, 1 centimeter maybe?

Yes, you want them to be thin – however you could experiment with one at a time to determine the thickness you like. I believe I got mine thicker than you would find in a restaurant.