The weather in New York has been rather odd this winter – as it seems to be in many other parts of the country. We go from having 60 degrees F to -15 degrees F with the wind chill. One day it is snowing and the next it is raining. Our snow totals are about 33 inches below normal. I am not a cold weather person so this weather makes me wish for summer and being outside in the warm sun. The last couple of years, Greg and I went on a hiking trip to New Hampshire. It was great fun! I just love being outside, breathing in the fresh air, and hiking those beautiful mountains. The views are just unbelievable. I would like to share a few pictures of signs – many of them we never see in WNY!

Check out my other New Hampshire hiking videos and pictures – they are located under “Fun Stuff”. You can find that link on the left hand side of my blog.

Posts include:
Glen Ellis Falls
Mount Washington Tour
Hiking Trip to Arethusa Falls
NH Hiking Trip to Gibbs Falls, Crawford Cliff
NH Hiking Trip to Ripley Falls
NH Hiking Trip to AMC Highland Lodge
NH Hiking Trip

Brake for moose! You see this sign often in NH. Greg and I took a guided tour of Mt. Washington. Our guide said if you see a moose give him the road. There are a lot of accidents at night because you cannot see them – their eyes do not glow. Plus they make a deer look small. So for me, not seeing a moose is good news!
Brake for moose

These signs need to be taken seriously as the mountains can be dangerous. The weather changes more quickly on those mountains than in NY!
Sign Attention Extreme Danger

Greg and I went on two guided tours to the top of Mt. Washington. The first year it was perfectly clear… but not this year!
Sign Summit Weather

This is one of the signs on top of the mountain that I was only a few feet away from. And did I mention the winds? Makes NY look mild!
Sign on top of mt washington

Valuable information!
Sign Avalanche information

Luckily we did not see any bears. Though you know they are around – but I heard that brown bears are shy.
Sign Bear Fast Facts

Again, more good information!
Sign Bear Country

A dedication sign.
Sign Oldest Trail

NH still had damage from Hurricane Irene.
Sign Trail Closure

A trail sign.
Tuckerman ravine

8 thoughts on “New Hampshire Signs from our Fall Hiking Trip

1. Jen Pace says:

love the moose sign! seeing a moose while hiking would be so cool!

We kept our eyes open but we did not see any moose. I believe they come out at dusk and in swampy areas. It would be pretty amazing to see one in person! Do you have any favorite hiking destinations?

2. 2ndhalfolife says:

Were you just visiting NH? Or do you live there?

We went there on a hiking trip in 2010 and 2011. We live in New York. Hopefully we will be able to go back this September to visit and hike in a different area of NH.

1. 2ndhalfolife says:

Ah very cool. I’m from NY, but live in NH now! πŸ™‚

That is ironic! We just love our vacations in NH. The air is so fresh and pure!!

3. 2ndhalfolife says:

It can be that, although right now it’s just raw and miserable πŸ™‚

Yes, it has been rather cold and bitter in the Buffalo region too. It is hard to get use to because the temperatures get warm into the 40’s and then dips back down into the teens. We had windchills in the negatives also. An odd winter. I will be glad when it is spring. But until that happens I am keeping myself busy with trying out new recipes. πŸ™‚