Ginger Chicken Noodle Soup final picture

My regular readers may notice that I am starting to study ginger. As I learn more about the different types of ginger makes me curious to add it to different recipes. The traditional chicken noodle recipe needs a bit of a makeover to add more spice and heat. I experimented with adding ginger paste, curry powder, and turmeric powder. The blending of these flavors added a nice level of spices and heat. If you are not familiar with these spices I would recommend adding a small amount and perform a taste test. You can always add more until you get the flavor you like.

I must admit that I tend to turn my soups into stews which I did with this soup by adding too many noodles! In the below recipe I reduced the amount of noodles. A better option is to boil the noodles and add them when you are serving the soup. This way they are always fresh and you can better gage how much to add. Storing soup with the noodles can result in your broth being soaked up by the noodles! Best to have some extra chicken stock available and you may need to add a bit more spices when reheating. Remember to do your taste test to determine what you need to add.

If you like ginger or would like to know more about the different types of ginger, then try my Learning to Make Ginger Honey Tea With a Splash of Lemon!

What are your favorite non-traditional ingredients in a chicken noodle soup?

Chicken:

1 Chicken Rotisserie

Broth:
Mirepoix of onions, carrots, and celery
4 Garlic Cloves, minced

1-2 teaspoon Salt
½ teaspoon Pepper

6 ounces Fine Egg Noodles

Thicken:
1 tbsp Arrowroot
2 tbsp Water

I make my own mirepoix with 1 of each: sweet onion, carrot and celery. Add about 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a soup pan, heat then add mirepoix.

Ginger Chicken Noodle Soup mirepox simmering

Once it is tender add the minced garlic and simmer for about a minute. Add carrots and celery – I tend to cut mine in larger chunks. Again my soups turn into stews!

Ginger Chicken Noodle Soup add vegetables

Add chicken broth and bring to a boil and simmer for about 20-minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add salt, pepper, ginger paste, curry powder, thyme, and turmeric. Adjust measurement to taste.

Ginger Chicken Noodle Soup add chicken broth

Create a thickening paste with 1-tablespoon arrowroot with 2-tablespoon water. Whisk and then add to your soup mixture. I like to use arrowroot because it thickens at about twice the rate of using flour. It does not have any flavor and turns clear when cooked. If you do not have arrowroot you can use flour. Let the soup thicken a bit and add your cooked chicken. Boil your noodles until partially cooked. Add to soup. Warm through and serve!

Ginger Chicken Noodle Soup add noodles

If you like soup and stews, then check out:
Rosemary & Smoked Chicken Dumpling Stew
Creamy Pumpkin Soup with a Kick!
My Version of Murgh Mumtaz Mahal or Indian Chicken Curry Soup
Super Bowl Turkey Chili With Cornbread
Chicken Pot Pie
Minestrone Slow-Cooked Stew
St. Patrick’s Day Potato Soup
Tomato Basil Orzo Soup – thank you Wegmans!

18 thoughts on “Ginger Chicken Noodle Soup (or stew when I make it!)

1. Sheryl says:

The soup (stew) looks delicious. My mother always put lots of noodles in soup when I was a child–and soup with lots of noodles brings back warm, fuzzy memories of comfort food.

As a child my favorite part of the soup was the noodles! So this time I really overcompensated with adding a lot of noodles! It was good on a cold, wintery day!

A good time of year for a hearty meal!

2. This chicken noodle soup sounds lovely with the ginger and spices added. I love ginger too. It can really give a meal that something extra.

Yes, it does add a nice flavor to the soup and I needed something different than the traditional versions. Plus I am trying to find recipes that I can add ginger to whether it is the root, paste, or powder. Plus I just got the ginger juice so I am starting to use it in my tea. Though not as good as boiling the ginger root.

3. This looks so hearty and delish. Am sure my husband would love this 🙂

Thank you – it is a wonderful dish. I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by! Bernice

4. Bernice, I would love to have a bowl of this soup today! The idea of adding ginger to traditional chicken noodle soup was brilliant! 🙂

Thanks so much! I am experimenting with adding ginger to different dishes. It was a nice change to the traditional approach. 🙂

5. Uzuazo-ekwedi Emebu says:

tnx alot, d dish was awesome.i love it.

On 1/28/13, Realistic Cooking Ideas for Busy Peop

Thank you for the compliment and for letting me know you enjoyed it. Have a great day! Bernice

6. Victoria says:

I think this looks delicious and I should give it a try…a nice change from the traditional variety.

Thank you – it was good and I agree a nice change from the traditional soup. Let me know if you decide to make it – and if you do – I hope you enjoy a different version. Thanks for stopping by. Bernice

7. My mom makes this soup and it’s really good. I sometimes like to add lemon or lime into it and it takes really good with lemon or lime.

1. Sorry I meant to write tastes not takes.

That sounds interesting with some lemon or lime! It is always nice to try a change!