Tilapia with white wine sauce with capers

Last year, Greg and I decided to reduce how many times we go out for dinner each week. Not only was it becoming too expensive but also the quality of food in relation to the price was not comparable. This has encouraged me to try different recipes and venture into new ingredients and spices. I never cared for the traditional fish fry or the heavy fish aroma if you baked it at home. Until I discovered Tilapia fish with its mild flavor and flaky texture. This recipe has a nice light sauce that is similar to my Chicken Piccata with Spinach Fettuccine. There is enough white wine sauce to serve over the pasta. This is a light, delicate dish so pair it accordingly when you pick your rice or pasta. This time I used orzo pasta, which worked well with the white wine sauce. If you enjoy Tilapia fish, my other recipes include:

Blackened Smoked Tilapia

Baked Parmesan Tilapia

Baked Tilapia with White Wine Sauce and Asian Twist

Fish Ingredients
2 Tilapia Fish
Flour
Salt
White Pepper

Sauce Ingredients
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tbsp Butter
¾ cup Chardonnay or your favorite dry white wine
1 tbsp Sweet Onion or Shallot, diced
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
½ tbsp Capers or more to your taste

Garnish
Parsley
Lemon slices

Heat the olive oil and butter in a heavy frying pan. Lightly dredge the fillets in the flour, salt, white pepper, and shake off the excess. I like to use Wegmans Pan Searing Flour with sea salt and white pepper. There is little waste because I can shake on the flour needed. (Wegmans is our local supermarket and they have a wonderful line of food products.)

Place tilapia into the frying pan and cook until lightly browned on both sides (a few minutes per side).

Remove the fish from the pan and keep warm in the oven. I set my oven to the warm setting and I place the fish on a pan covered with foil.

Add the wine to the pan, stirring up any browned bits of flour. Add the onions and cook for 1-2 minutes until they are softened. Stir in the lemon juice and capers – cook for another minute. Plate the fish and spoon the sauce over the fish. Garnish with parsley and lemon slices if desired.

14 thoughts on “Tilapia with a White Wine Sauce and Capers

1. Uzuazo ekwedi-emebu says:

Great meal

Thank you – we did enjoy it! Plus it was quick and easy to make. Not a lot of steps or time. Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful day. Bernice

2. LizzieJoy says:

This sounds delicious, Bernice. I’ve never tried Tilapia fish, nor even heard of it!! It sounds really easy to make, too – an essential for me!! Thank you, dear friend. Bless you.

Thanks Lizzie. It is a nice, mild fish. It bakes fairly quickly which is nice during the week. I am sure you could substitute these recipes with any mild fish.

3. Here is a great example of realistic cooking for busy people. Meals on the table in less than 30 minutes are always my favorite.

Thanks Bam! These are definitely my go to recipes during the work week when I do not have much time or energy. 🙂

4. Hi,
    I have nominated you for the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award and the Blog of the Year 2012 Award! Please check out the link for more information.

Congratulations!
    Cathie

Thanks so much for the award and recognition – much appreciated! Bernice 🙂

5. This is something I’d make on a weeknight for sure. I love that all of the ingredients for the sauce I have already. Thank you for the inspiration today!

Your welcome and thank you! Not only do I love quick meals during the week – I love when I do not have to purchase special ingredients.

6. Gecko says:

I am going to have to try this. Talipia is my favorite fish

We love Tilapia too! I have a few recipes on my blog and I am trying to look for more recipes. But this particular version is very good! Let me know if you do try it. Enjoy! Bernice

7. jwcwong says:

try this! it’s good and easy too! (I used tilapia it went well)

Thank you for the recipe – it looks delicious. I will definitely try it. 🙂