Blackened Smoked Tilapia final picture

I know a lot of my readers can relate with too much to do and not enough time. As a Software Testing Manager the days can be hectic when we are getting close to deploying a release to production. You are down to days and then hours to wrap up the testing and find any bugs that might be a problem for the customers. Of course our goal is to find the bugs during the early days of testing but as all testers know newly added code can break existing functionality. Therefore we are assessing risk throughout testing which can change our testing ideas and approaches. For as much as I love my job, there is only one of me and I can be pulled in a lot of directions! But at the same time I would not trade it for anything.

During this time, I want a dinner that is easy to make and quick to get to the table. But I am also selfish as I like good food and do not want to sacrifice great taste! My Blackened Smoked Tilapia is one of those recipes I go to when I am tired or do not have much time. It takes a few minutes to mix the spices and prepare the Tilapia. It cooks in about 5 – 8 minutes and during that time you can make your sides. For this meal I like to purchase pre-made mashed potatoes and fresh green beans that I steam in the microwave. In less than a half hour, dinner is ready!

What is your go-to recipe when you are short on time?

If you enjoy Tilapia fish, my other recipes include:

Tilapia with a White Wine Sauce and Capers

Baked Parmesan Tilapia

Baked Tilapia with White Wine Sauce and Asian Twist

2 Tilapia, rinsed and dried
2 tbsp Grapeseed Oil

Spices
2 tsp Smoked Paprika
2 tsp Paprika
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp Onion Powder
1/4 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Cajun Seasoning
1 tsp Basil, dried

Mix all spices in a bowl. Divide the spice mixture in half. Brush tilapia fillets with a little grapeseed oil and coat on both sides with the spices. Let sit a few minutes at room temperature. Heat grapeseed oil in a heavy frying pan. Add tilapia and cook about 2 to 3-minutes.

Blackened Smoked Tilapia first in pan

Turn over and cook another 2 – 3 minutes or until it reaches temperature.

Blackened Smoked Tilapia turned over for final cooking

32 thoughts on “Blackened Smoked Tilapia

1. I have heard so much about blackened tilapia and I really love all the spices you used
    Pinned your recipe to try soon

Thank you – it is really good. I like it with the smoked paprika and a bit of cumin. A lot of people omit those two spices which is ashame. I hope you enjoy it!

2. caseylee18 says:

looks good! Hope i will be able to get to making this very soon =)

Thanks! I hope you enjoy them. They were so easy to make and the smoked paprika and cumin added another dimension of flavor. Thanks for stopping by!

3. Wishing you all the best on your go live date! This blackened Tilapia looks stunning and easy which is just up my alley as I am still struggling with 9 fingers here in Bam’s Kitchen due to the “mandolin” incident.

Thanks Bam! We go live about every 5-weeks with patches during the week. I better be careful when I use my mandolin – I am sorry to hear you are still healing. I hope you are up and cooking with 10 fingers soon!

4. Chef Doru says:

Looks delicious! I’ve nominated you for “Blog of the Year 2012 Award” so please pick it up at http://chefdoru.wordpress.com/2013/01/13/awards/

5. We have a box of frozen tilapia in the freezer… I’ve been baking it with fresh lemon- but I’m going to try this Thursday night. All I need is cajun seasoning. Thank you for sharing!
    -JulieC

I hope you enjoy it – plus you can adjust the spices to your own taste. I have a couple of other recipes on my blog for Tilapia and I should have another post or two coming up.

1. Tried it! It was fantastic!
        -JulieC

I am so glad you tried and enjoyed it! Plus thanks for letting me know. Have a great day, Bernice 🙂

6. Hi Bernice, This Tilapia looks absolutely delicious:) I’m going to mark this recipe for later…I have all these spices and herbs on hand!

And oh yes, I’ve nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award. There’s no obligation to accept or re-post it, this is just my way of saying ‘I enjoy reading your posts and love your recipes’.

Here’s the award post link: http://perisspiceladle.com/2013/01/16/blog-of-the-year-2012-and-more-a-heartfelt-thank-you/

Have a great year!
    Peri.

Thank you so much Peri! I appreciate your feedback and nomination. When I started this blog I had no idea if I would have many followers and have been pleasantly surprised by the number of bloggers that I have the opportunity to interact with and learn from. It is a great experience! Bernice

7. Yahobahne says:

I’m salivating ova here! AHA! It looks delicious. Thank you for sharing!

Thank you! And it is so easy to make! You can have dinner on the table in less than 30-minutes. Thanks for stopping by! Bernice

8. nursefrugal says:

I loooooooooove Tilapia! Those spices sound tasty!!!

I really like Tilapia – a nice mild fish. I have a couple of other recipes on my blog for Tilapia and I should have another post or two coming up in the next few weeks. This recipe is fab with all the spices!!

9. Sophie33 says:

A divine & tasty recipe! i love smoked paprika a lot too! 🙂 Did you use the dulce version of the more picanté version?

I am experimenting a lot with smoked paprika as it is a great way to add more flavor. I am not really sure what the picante’ version is? I am looking into another tilapia recipe using lemon and capers. Similar to a chicken piccata. Do you mean that version? 🙂

1. Sophie33 says:

No. You have 2 types of smoked paprika. One is the mild version, the dulce one & the other is the spicy smoked paprika version, the picanté one! That’s the difference!

My mother used paprika for coloring in her dishes – but it had no flavor. Last year I found out there was a smoked paprika so I decided to give it a try. The description of mine is as follows: Spanish sweet red peppers are naturally smoked over wood planks to obtain its distinctive smoky taste. I did not know there is a spicy smoked paprika! I will have to find it as I am sure we will enjoy it. Thanks for letting me know! Bernice 🙂

3. Sophie33 says:

These 2 types of smoked paprika are Spanish from origin!

That is great to know! I can’t wait to get the spicy smoked paprika!

10. Leslie says:

Oh my, this fish recipe looks wonderful! I love anything with lots of flavor and a little heat, and it looks a little crisp and delicious! I have tilapia in the freezer now, so thanks for the idea!
    Blessings,
    Leslie

Thank you Leslie! Yes, it does have a lot of flavor and you can experiment with the spices to determine the heat. As long as you do not use too much oil you should be able to get a bit of crispness to the fish. I love Tilapia for a quick meal after work. I can have dinner on the table in 30-minutes or less. I hope you enjoy this recipe and if you do try it let me know how it comes out. Have a great day! Bernice

Your welcome! I enjoyed my visit!

11. I have never cooked with grapeseed oil. Gonna have to get some and see what it’s all about.

I like it because it has a high smoke point – good for stir frying and such. It has a light, clean taste so it is also good as a salad dressing. And baking. So it is an all around good oil to have in the pantry. 🙂 Plus it is suppose to have health benefits. I also like to use almond oil as a salad dressing. Especially if I am only mixing it with balsamic oil.

12. Oh, and thanx for the recipe.