Christmas morning baked cinnamon french toast

Christmas morning is a wonderful time to treat yourself to a fun breakfast! We enjoy this french toast recipe because it is a nice break from our typical breakfast. Plus you can make it ahead of time and either bake it the night before or put it into the oven when you first get up. I typically bake it the night before that way we only need to warm it on Christmas morning. This allows more time to enjoy Christmas since the day tends to go by quickly!

I make this recipe once a year for Christmas. However, it is an easy recipe that you could make any time of the year. If you are having a brunch or a breakfast gathering it is the perfect recipe. If you bake it in a glass pan, it will stay hot for a while. Have some fresh strawberries or other fresh fruit plus other optional toppings like maple syrup next to the pan. Your guest can scoop out a section of the french toast and then add their toppings. They will love it!

French Toast Ingredients

Crumble Mixture
ΒΎ cup brown sugar
1 cup pecans, chopped
6 tbsp butter, melted
2 tbsp maple syrup

Potential Toppings
Fresh strawberries or other fruit
Powdered sugar
Maple sugar

It is best to assemble this dish the night before baking it the next day. Spray a 9 x 13 inch glass pan. Remove the crusts from the bread. Spread softened cream cheese on one slice of the bread topping with a second slice of bread. Once done, cut each sandwich into four cubes.

In a large mixing bowl whisk together eggs, milk, half and half, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg until well blended. Dip bread cubes into milk mixture until moist. Place in the prepared pan making two layers. Pour any remaining liquid over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and remove glass pan from the refrigerator. At this time put together your crumble mixture and then place evenly over the french toast.

Bake about 40-minutes or until a knife comes out relatively clean. Add any additional toppings when you plate it for breakfast! This french toast warms overly nicely so do not be concerned about making an entire pan.

42 thoughts on “Christmas Morning Baked Cinnamon French Toast

1. This looks amazing! I think I will make this for a Saturday morning breakfast! THANKS-Tara

Your welcome and I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by. Bernice πŸ™‚

2. This looks so divine..I am going to try this on New Years morning. Thanks for sharing.

I do hope you will enjoy it. Plus you can alway make modifications if you want it sweeter or less sweet. I make mine less sweet (in our opinion since that can vary from person to person) and then someone could add maple syrup to make it sweeter. I only add some nice fresh strawberries when I have it for breakfast. Thanks for stopping by! (BTW I am following your blog too. I thought I was following it but just found out I wasn’t.) πŸ™‚

1. Bernice, Isn’t if fun to meet new friends? I just love blogging and finding all these wonderful ladies and ideas.

I agree it is wonderful! I love reading the recipes, stories, and the beautiful pictures! And of course getting to know more about the bloggers. It certainly has opened my world to new ideas and foods that I may never know about! Happy blogging!!

3. Completely sinful and I would love a piece or 2 right now. A fantastic way to bring in the holiday season. Wishing you a very safe and happy 2013! Take care, BAM

Thank you Bam! And yes, I agree it is a great way to bring in the holiday season! It is delish. I hope you have a wonderful New Years and best wishes for more great blogging in 2013! Bernice

4. Although Christmas has passed, I’d love to make this for an upcoming morning meeting that I’m hosting. That cinnamon swirl bread sounds really good along with the crumble topping!

They will love this! It warms over nicely. You can add your own personal touches. If you can’t find cinnamon swirl bread then you can use your favorite bread and add more cinnamon. It is delish!

5. I think my mouth is going to have to continue to water on this one. I don’t know that I can get the first two ingredients in Australia. I could probably find a cinnamon loaf or make up a substitute for it but I don’t know what Thomas breakfast bread original is to even try for a substitute.

I can no longer find the Thomas English bread here in the states. So I just used cinnamon bread. If you cannot find it, use any thick, hardy bread suitable for a french toast. Then add your own generous amount of cinnamon to make the cinnamon toast. You could assemble the french toast mixture in the pan and then add the cinnamon to top it before adding the pecan topping. Or add the cinnamon to your egg mixture that you will dip the bread into. Let me know how it comes out if you have a chance to make it.

Thanks for letting me know the challenges. I will need to add a section to that recipe for substitutions. Sometimes I forget everyone do not have the same “brand names”.

6. Love French toast. This recipe is over the top. Can’t wait to try it. Thanx again, Bernice.

Thank you! It is excellent!!! It warms over nicely, which makes it a great dish to bake ahead or bake the morning you want to serve it. I love it with fresh strawberries!!

Reblogged this on Realistic Cooking Ideas and commented:

A great Christmas morning breakfast – or any time you want a special breakfast! You can make it ahead to save time and add any type of fruit as the topping. Enjoy!!

8. This sounds up my creek. I have been doing brunch for the pasts 17 years. This recipe will save me this year. I always strive for something new and less kitchen involved and each year I’ve managed to get better. I believe this may be my best attempt so far. Thank YOU :-D. Can’t wait to try this one. ❀ ❀ <4

This recipe is delicious and a favorite of ours for years. I like it because you really want to assemble it ahead for the ingredients to blend. Then take out of the refrigerator, make your toppings and bake. It warms over nicely! I hope you enjoy it! πŸ™‚

1. I can hardly wait for Christmas Day. πŸ™‚ Thank you.

I hope you and your family enjoy it!! πŸ™‚

3. I’ve added to my shopping list this week. There will need to be some substitutions though.

I hope you enjoyed your version of the Christmas Morning Baked Cinnamon French Toast!! We enjoyed ours for a few days.

5. I was i.m.p.r.e.s.s.e.d with this French Toast and I thank you, Bernice. Oh my. It was a HIT. I was a little confused about the second bread and couldn’t find it here anyway. Ended up using only raisin bread, crusts off. I might have gone too easy on the cream cheese. How much do you use. What a beautiful casserole to put on the table and so little work in the morning (late). Thank you. ❀ ❀ ❀

Thanks for the feedback and I am glad you enjoyed it. I modified the recipe to remove the second type of bread and just made it two loafs of cinnamon bread or your favorite bread. Raisin bread is a nice substitute. I use the entire 8-ounce package of cream cheese. I typically purchase either no-fat or light. It is so pretty! I love it with fresh strawberries with a bit of powdered sugar!

7. Indeed. When I read to slather cream cheese by using a slice of the bread I figured I must have been too frugal with it. Next time. More cream cheese. Thank you. This was lovely. Yummers, and I looked g.o.o.d. thanks to you, Bernice.

I am very happy to hear that it went over well! I only make it once a year so I do not feel guilty about the extra calories with the cream cheese. πŸ™‚

9. It wasn’t as sweet as I worried, and the pecans were another bonus. ^^’

You could make it much sweeter but I do not care for overly sweet dishes either. Pecans are an overlooked nut – they are tasty!! πŸ™‚

11. I prefer pecans to walnuts these days. πŸ™‚ I don’t like sweet much at all. I hardly ever bake anymore. Lost my sweet tooth somewhere a while back.

Walnuts are really good for you but I don’t care for them too much. I would rather have pecans. πŸ™‚

9. Thank YOU. I believe I shall try this for Christmas brunch this year. Sounds wonderful and right up my alley.

Thank you! We really enjoy this dish and I make it every year. It is one of those dishes you do not get tired of.

10. onemunchingmomma says:

This looks so wonderful! It’s going to be a must try at this house!

I hope you enjoy it! You get a lot of servings from one recipe. It looks so nice topped with fresh fruit!

11. Sheryl says:

The French Toast looks perfect for Christmas morning. I love the presentation with the fresh fruit. It looks so festive.

It is festive and is really good. I like that I can make it in stages and it warms over nicely in the microwave oven. I bake it the night before and just warm it for Christmas morning. It is a nice dish that sometimes I bring to work if we are doing a special breakfast!