Oatmeal Raisin Cookies Main Picture for Cover

Each year I ask my husband what cookies he wants me to make for Christmas. His typical response is whatever you want to make. This year I decided to surprise him when he got home from work with a nice chewy oatmeal raisin cookie! This is a new recipe I tried and it definitely is a keeper! But before I get to the recipe, I would like to share a few more of our favorite Christmas decorations.

Below is a picture of our Charlie Brown ice rink where they skate around the rink when you turn it on. It is such a pretty scene!

Charlie Brown ice rink for Christmas

Below are the little Victorian girl and boy ornament that is on our Christmas tree.

Little victorian girl ornament

Little Victorian boy ornament

Below are a couple more of the Santas that I painted with a plate of Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies with Santa Claus

Now on to the recipe!

1 1/4 cups rolled oats
3/4-cup all-purpose flour
1-teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2-teaspoon baking powder
1/2-teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
3/4-cup sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
1 large egg
1-teaspoon vanilla (I make mine with Rum and a vanilla bean)
1-cup raisins

Combine the oats, flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. In a separate large bowl, beat the butter, sugar and molasses with a mixer until fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla until smooth. Add the flour mixture and beat until combined. Stir in the raisins by hand.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Form the dough into balls using about 1 โ€“ 2 tablespoonful depending upon desired size of the final cookie. Place about 3 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Flatten with the back of a fork. Bake until the cookies are golden, 15 to 17 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes on the baking sheets, and then transfer to racks to cool completely.

20 thoughts on “Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

1. I love your painted ornaments. You are very artistic. The lion looks as though he is keen to devour those tempting cookies!

Thanks so much for your kind words! I am glad the pictures did them justice. ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Brittany says:

Love the decorations, and these cookies look delicious!

Thanks so much! They are yummy cookies! And I think I have eaten far too many cookies this year. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Gardengirl says:

I have had more trouble finding a GOOD oatmeal raisin cookie recipe. Can’t wait to try this one! Thanks!

I hope this is your type of oatmeal cookie. I think the molasses makes a difference plus I make my own vanilla. I normally do not care for oatmeal raisin cookies – but I do enjoy these! ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Gardengirl says:

I don’t particularly care for them either, but they are my husband’s favorite. I would really like to know how you make your vanilla. (hint,hint) ๐Ÿ™‚

Funny same thing for me. My husband loves them too. For the vanilla, I take a bottle of Rum and add a couple of vanilla beans. Then every so often I change the vanilla bean. Of course your husband might be disappointed when the bottle of Rum is used to make vanilla. My father and husand are always amazed that the Rum is for making vanilla, ha ha ha

3. Gardengirl says:

I have a bottle of rum that I only use for cooking too! I mostly use it for a banana rum cake, another of my family’s favorites. Thanks for sharing the vanilla recipe. I’ll be buying vanilla beans next trip to the store! ๐Ÿ™‚

Your cake sounds wonderful! I am researching a figgy pudding recipe and you need rum for that too. So we need to get another bottle. Some people use vodka for their vanilla – I have never tried using vodka.

5. Gardengirl says:

I don’t like vodka, the rum sounds much better. I think I posted the recipe for the banana cake. I’ll have to go back and look.

I think the rum would be smoother. I would love to make your banana cake!

7. Gardengirl says:

Banana Rum Cake
        Ingredients:
        2 med. Ripe bananas ยฝ cup butter
        ยผ cup milk 1 cup sugar
        2 cups flour 2 eggs
        1 tsp. baking powder 2 Tbsp. light rum
        1 tsp. baking soda 1 tsp. vanilla
        ยผ tsp. salt ยพ cup chopped nuts (optional)

Beat the butter, sugar and eggs until creamy. Add the rum and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, mash the bananas and combine with milk. Alternately add flour mixture and bananas to the creamed butter and sugar until well blended. Lightly oil two round cake pans or a 13×9 baking dish. Bake at 375o for 20-25 minutes. Frost with your choice of frosting

This was easier. Hope you like it! ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you so much – the Banana Rum cake sounds wonderful. I will need to make it in the new year!

9. Gardengirl says:

Here’s a link to my post “Recipe Boxes”. There’s a link at the end for the recipe for the Banana Rum Cake. If it doesn’t work, let me know and I’ll repost it. I have never tried figs. Is figgy pudding good?

Is figgy pudding good…. I will see on Saturday. ๐Ÿ™‚ The ingredients look good except I never baked with figs. We shall see!

4. Loving all your recipes and your delightful Victorian decorations ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you so much! I love the Victorian time period so the tree is perfect for us. Hoping to post pictures of the tree on Sunday.