Greg and I enjoy chewy, soft cookies. I did some research to find a recipe for chewy gingerbread. You can make them as thin or as thick as you would like – even the thin ones are chewy and soft. Plus they stay that way even after you store them. They are addicting with the chewiness and wonderful spices. You may not know, but many years ago I painted and sold ceramics. I painted a series of Christmas Santa’s that I showcase throughout the year in our glass cabinet. Below is a picture of my Gingerbread Christmas Santa!

Gingerbread Santa Ceramics

Each year I enjoy making and sharing Christmas cookies and decorating our Victorian Christmas tree with my husband. In a later posting I will share pictures of our Christmas tree – but for now I would like to share a few favorite ornaments. Below is our precious angel. We only have one so we always find a special spot on our tree!

Christmas Angel

I love music so the below ornament spoke to me as soon as I saw it!

Christmas Ornament When Words Fail Music Speaks

Wouldn’t it be nice if there could be peace on earth?

Christmas Ornament

Now on to the recipe!

3 cups bread flour

¾ cup dark brown sugar

1-tablespoon ground cinnamon

1-tablespoon ground ginger
1-teaspoon ground cloves

½ teaspoon salt

¾ teaspoon baking soda

¾ cup (6 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into 12 pieces and softened slightly

¾ cup molasses

2 tablespoons milk

Combine together flour, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt and baking soda and blend using a mixer at low speed. Stop mixer and add butter pieces; mix until mixture is sandy and resembles fine meal. Gradually add molasses and milk; mix until dough is evenly moistened and blended through. Place in refrigerator for a few hours or even overnight.

Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Place some flour on a board and rolling pin. Working with a small portion of dough, roll the dough to ¼-inch thick and cut out your gingerbread people. Place on cookie sheet.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake 6 – 10 minutes.

Once cookies are cool, decorate with icing, if desired. I like to use Wilton’s Decorating Icing with their decorating tips to ice the cookies. This makes it quick to decorate them without having to make the icing. Plus I can seal the container for later use.

Wilton icing and decorating tips

Store the cookies in an airtight container and keep in a cool area. Consider using wax paper between the layers of cookies so they do not stick together.

Gingerbread Men Closeup Picture

19 thoughts on “Thick and Chewy Gingerbread People Cookies

1. LizzieJoy says:

I love the quotes on the Christmas decorations. Thank you. Sending blessings of peace and joy for the Christmas Season.

Thank you! I also love the quotes as they often speak to your heart. Sometimes in a different way each year. I also want to wish you a wonderful Christmas season!

1. LizzieJoy says:

Thank you, Bernice.

2. What a beautiful Christmas post my friend complete with delish cookies 🙂

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

Thank you so much – they were fun to make – and to eat!

3. The gingerbread people cookies look wonderful, and I love your ornaments. I can’t wait to see pictures of your Christmas tree!

Thank you! I enjoyed baking and decorating the gingerbread people. I am sharing a few ornaments throughout my postings. Then at the end I will share our tree. 🙂

4. I love chewy cookies as well! Delicious!

Thank you! This year I have researching recipes for chewy cookies. I am also looking into bread flour versus regular flour and the dry to wet ratio. As I understand if you use bread flour you may need to increase your wet ingredients or decrease the bread flour so the cookies do not come out too heavy. Do you use bread flour for any of your baking?

1. I have not used bread flour for cookies but I do regularly substitute part of the regular flour with for example rye flour. For example if a recipe calls for 4 c of flour I might use 3 c reg all-purpose flour and 1 c rye flour. I find that rye works wonderful in sweet bakery.

That is interesting. I never thought to use Rye flour! I will have to try that. Thanks for the tip. 🙂

5. Espirational says:

We make gingerbread cookies on Christmas Eve. It gives us something to do. I think I might use your tip about the decorator icing this year.

What a wonderful idea!! I love that you make gingerbread cookies on Christmas Eve. The decorator icing did make it very easy to decorate. They were a lot of fun to make…. and eat. 🙂

Reblogged this on Realistic Cooking Ideas and commented:

Nothing like a chewy Gingerbread cookie! This recipe is awesome – enjoy!!

7. chefceaser says:

Reblogged this on Chef Ceaser.

Thank you! I hope you and your readers enjoy the recipe!

8. Sophie33 says:

I am so going to make these beautiful cookies tomorrow afternoon! Ooh yes! They look fun & georgous too! x

I really love this recipe as I like a chewy cookie. I hope you enjoyed them!!