I enjoy trying new side dishes for Thanksgiving dinner. I am not into tradition in the sense that I need to make the same dishes each year. Luckily, my family is open to trying out new dishes! For the last few weeks I have been contemplating what type of potatoe dish to make. I decided to make scallop potatoes but with a smoky flavor instead of the traditional cheddar cheese. (Which is also a great option!)

This is an easy recipe that you can make for either individual servings which is a nice personal touch or in a larger ramekin or baking pan. There are a lot of your own touches you can add to this recipe. For example, you could top it with seasoned breadcrumbs instead of chives. The light cream could be substituted with skim milk thickened with arrowroot. Add more or less light cream depending upon how creamy you would like this dish.

12 oz. Russet Potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
1 tsp. Smoked Paprika
1/2 tsp. Dry Mustard
1/2 tsp. Salt
3/4 cup Light Cream
1 cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese or Smoked Holland Cheese
1 tbsp. Chives

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare four 6-to-8-ounce ramekins with stick-free spray. Thinly slice the potatoes a little less than 1/8 inch thick (a mandolin works well).

Combine sliced potatoes with smoked paprika, dry mustard, and salt.

Divide half of the potatoe mixture among the prepared ramekins, filling them about halfway. Top with half of the smoked cheese and cream.

Repeat with the remaining potato mixture, cheese and cream. Top with chives.

Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and cover with foil. Bake until the liquid is bubbly and the potatoes begin to soften but are not completely cooked through. This will take about 50-minutes. Increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees F, uncover the ramekins and bake until the potatoes are tender and golden brown, about 10-minutes. Let me know what you think of this dish and how you make it.

6 thoughts on “Mini Smoky Scalloped Potatoes

1. petunia106 says:

I just read your Old Man on the Mountain post, then found this recipe on your blog, Looks like something I am going to try… and I am guessing you’re in the Northeast because there’s Upstate Farms Cream! It’s the same kind we buy, I live in Rochester, NY! 🙂
    Betsy

Those are just awesome! I am from the Buffalo area. We go to the Rochester area to play disc golf. 🙂

1. petunia106 says:

What a small world! Wegmans is amazing for grocery shopping. My husband used to play disc golf at Ellison Park in Rochester. Not so much time for it now though!
        I just printed the recipe & I’m going to try it this week!

I hope you enjoy it. I just adore Wegmans! It is the only grocery store we shop at. In Rochester area we play at Chili and Parma. Both are great courses!

2. petunia106 says:

I’m making this tonight, we had a frost last night but luckily I still have some chives outside to use!! Have a good night!
    Betsy

That is wonderful! I do hope you enjoy them. It is very cold here too!