Many people will tell you that summer is short in Western New York! We try to cram a lot of fun into a couple of months. So you can imagine, arriving home around 5:30 or 6:00, I do not want to spend too much time making dinner. I have many “go-to recipes” that I use in the summer that are delicious, easy to make, and are healthy. My Chicken Kabobs recipe is one Greg and I have perfected over the years. We have experimented with different ingredients and marinades and this is one of our favorites. I dice the vegetables and chicken the night before putting the chicken in the marinade before I leave for work. This allows me to quickly assemble the Kabobs once I get home, while at the same time Greg preheats the grill, and then I place the rice in the rice cooker.

In about 20-minutes we can have dinner on the table preserving as much of the evening as possible for out-doors fun!
We recently added the sweet onions as it caramelizes nicely on the grill. It is a nice substitute for onion rings – which I must admit I adore. But not the fat content! Instead of zucchini we might substitute fresh mushrooms, as my husband loves them. But remember they do reduce when heated; consider grilling them on their own skewer.

We use a metal skewer since they are dishwasher safe and I do not need to remember to soak them like the wooden ones. But be careful, as I have stabbed myself many times when assembling them. I also have a fancy skewer that is spiral in nature. It presents very nicely for dinner parties. But good luck threading the chicken and vegetables and getting them off easily! So I switched back to the traditional, straight metal skewers! Sometimes fancy introduces more problems than it is worth!

We added thick bacon to help the flare-up to char the chicken and vegetables. However, we do not eat the bacon since it is high in fat and removing it at the end allows this to be a healthy meal. While we are grilling the kabobs I make my rice in my rice cooker. This way I can be outside enjoying a glass of wine with my husband instead of watching rice cook on the stovetop!

Ingredients I like to use….
Kabobs
2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts
Green, yellow, and/ or red bell pepper (cut into big cubes)
Sweet Onion, cubed
Zucchini, sliced
Thick Bacon sliced – roll each individual slice
Rosemary Marinade
Metal or bamboo skewers (bamboo skewers need to be soaked in cold water for 30-minutes)

Compliment
Hot cooked rice

Oil Mixture
2 Tbsp Olive Oil and/or Grapeseed Oil
Assorted herbs such as rosemary, thyme, parsley
Minced Garlic

A few timesaving tips I hope will help you….
You can use basting oil that already has the herbs and spices mixed together. I like to mix the vegetables with the oil mixture in a sealed container. That way you can shake the vegetables and oil mixture together to better coat them. Plus you will use less of the oil mixture!

To quickly put this meal together after work, you can prepare your vegetables ahead of time and then toss them with the oil mixture just before assembling. In addition, look for a marinade that you can pour over the chicken before going to work and leave it marinade until you assemble them.

You can prepare these ahead of time and then grill for dinner or for a dinner party!

Here is how I prepare the meal… but feel free to experiment….
Rinse chicken, and cut the chicken into small cubes, pat dry and marinate for six or more hours. Prepare oil mixture and toss vegetables with the mixture just before preparing the kabobs for grilling.

Thread one piece of pepper, zucchini, onion, chicken, one rolled-slice of bacon, chicken onto a metal skewer or bamboo skewer and repeat until the skewer is complete. You can thread the ingredients in any order; I prefer placing the bacon next to the chicken to allow it to get charred when grilling. Add remaining ingredients and make four skewers. Set aside. (Throw out left over marinade.)

Preheat the grill to medium-high and grill the chicken kabobs.

Grill about 15 – 20 minutes until meat it cooked through. Periodically turn the kabobs so they evenly cook and char on all sides. Serve hot over rice and enjoy! This meal is wonderful on its own and can also be served with BBQ sauce.

15 thoughts on “Rosemary Chicken Kabobs

1. rimassolosailingaroundtheworldm says:

Thank you so much for visiting my post and love your cooking

Your welcome and thank you for the compliment! I enjoyed your beautiful pictures on your blog and look forward to viewing more of them!

2. Hans Susser says:

Good looking food, great pictures 🙂

Thanks so much – we really enjoy this recipe. Thanks for stopping by and have a great day! Bernice

3. beingserbian says:

Anything with rosemary!
    Thanks for dropping by my blog. I hope you’ll come back soon! 😉

Your welcome – I enjoyed my visit! These chicken kabobs are fabulous! Nothing like rosemary and grilling. I also have a Rosemary & Smoked Chicken Dumpling Stew that I posted recently that came out really good. It is the dead of winter here so it was nice to have a touch of summer!

4. Victoria says:

MMMMM….can’t wait for summer! Rosemary is one of my favorite herbs. I just noticed the recent posts that you like here on your blog. How nice! Thank you! I think I need to add one of those sections on my blog.

Rosemary is a wonderful herb to cook and grill with! I am always tweaking my blog with different sections. I used rosemary in a chicken and dumplings stew a few weeks ago. It is also on my blog. It came out really good and you know I thought the chicken just came off the grill!

5. I just discovered your blog and love looking at your pictures. I often feel like I am making the same thing again and again, and I love looking at simple but delicious cooking photos for insipration. I haven’t made chicken skewers since last summer, but now that spring is coming (I live in Australia) I will bring out the bbq again! Thanks!

I am so happy you found me and I hope you find a few recipes you can adopt! I felt the same way that there was a few dishes I was always making for dinner. It is nice to mix it up a bit from really quick meals to those that take a bit more time to prepare. 🙂

6. ‘m like it very much because you add some baco on it…hehehe
    bacon always win my hearth !

And I use a thick cut bacon!!

7. LeRoy says:

We tried the recipe without the bacon, and (except that the grill was running out of gas and we had to finish in the oven) it was a hit. We served it with a brown rice/quinoa mix and roasted brussel sprouts. We’ll use it again, with a new tank, of course.

Sounds wonderful! It is good to know that you could finish it in the oven without losing quality. It is always so frustrating when you realize the tank is low!